Here ya go Bledsoe apologists

With props to FTG over at Billzone for pulling this info together, here are Dredfuls numbers for 2004.

Player  Att    Comp    Yds  Comp%  Yds/At  TD  INT    INT%  Long  Sack/Lost  Rating

Bledsoe  450 256 2932 56.9  6.5  20  16      3.6 69 37/215      76.6

The numbers don't lie folks.  Whine about the OL all you want but I believe McGahaee had over 1000 yards rushing behind that line in LESS THAN a full season. 

Could Losman put up numbers like this?  Absolutely.

Deny it all you want, reality will eventually hit you in the face.

191381[/snapback]

How do you know Losman can put up those numbers?

And what do these numbers show? Hell Thomlinson put up 1650 yards rushing last year and Drew Brees aabsolutely sucked. Brees had a 67 rating last year. One doesn't depend on the other.

Facts suck, don't they?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Buffalo News:

"I don't think that Drew has a heckuva lot of time to throw the ball. The guys are right on top of him. By the time he gets back, boom. We've got to straighten the offense out all the way around. There's not much blocking. The whole scheme of it has to be straightened out. I just think we've got better players than we've shown." This was Ralph Wilson's response.

Ron Jaworski, the former Philadelphia Eagles great quarterback and ESPN analyst, agreed with Wilson after the game.

"There is no doubt in my mind he can still win," Jaworski said. "Drew is one of those guys who needs protection. He's what I call a plant, step and throw quarterback. He needs to be comfortable in the pocket where he can do that. If you start showing color in his face and he starts throwing off his back foot because of pressure up the middle, he becomes a little bit erratic. When you build around him, you have to start with the interior of the offensive line. I think Drew is still a very, very good quarterback in this league."

191385[/snapback]

Nice quotes from LAST YEAR.

And what do these numbers show?  Hell Thomlinson put up 1650 yards rushing last year and Drew Brees aabsolutely sucked. Brees had a 67 rating last year.  One doesn't depend on the other. 

Facts suck, don't they?

191526[/snapback]

The point is, Losman doesn't have to play very well to equal the accomplishments of Dredfull.

Thouugh really, how many QBs can you rely on to win when you put the game in their hands?  Offhand...Manning, Favre, maybe Culpepper.  McNair when he's healthy.  Maybe Trent Green and Marc Bulger, if you really want to stretch it you might include Carr or Leftwich.

Brady [is] ... where [he is] precisely because ... Dillon ... was asked to win games, not [him].

:P

Brady is where he is because of Dillon? How did Dillon help Brady when Brady took an 0-2 team that was widely tought of as the worst in the NFL, and led them to the Super Bowl? How did Dillon help Brady lead the league in TD passes in '02 despite a pathetic OL and supporting cast? How did Dillon help Brady win ANOTHER Super Bowl in '03, despite suffering countless injuries to himself and his teammates?

Brady has done more with less than any QB in the NFL over the last three years, and Dillon was not a part of it. Brady has been surrounded by mediocre offensive talent for his whole career, and has not only put up very good numbers (11th best QB rating of all time at the beginning of this year), but has won every single big game he's played in. Brady is one of the few QBs in the league who HAS routinely won games when they've been put into his hands. That's documented fact.

The point is, Losman doesn't have to play very well to equal the accomplishments of Dredfull.

191590[/snapback]

Exactly. Losman will probably be a high risk, high reward type player......just like Favre. I'm not saying he'll be the next Favre, but I think he'll be a gunslinger type. With that type of player, you know that even when the screw up and throw a pick, chances are they're going to hit something big to compensate for it. The problem with Bledsoe is that he just sucks. He throws a ridiculous interception, and then you spend the rest of the game holding your breath that he's either 1) going to do nothing to make up for it, or 2) do the same sh-- again. I'm tired of living in fear of our QB.........

Brady is where he is because of Dillon?  How did Dillon help Brady when Brady took an 0-2 team that was widely tought of as the worst in the NFL, and led them to the Super Bowl?  How did Dillon help Brady lead the league in TD passes in '02 despite a pathetic OL and supporting cast?  How did Dillon help Brady win ANOTHER Super Bowl in '03, despite suffering countless injuries to himself and his teammates?

Brady has done more with less than any QB in the NFL over the last three years, and Dillon was not a part of it.  Brady has been surrounded by mediocre offensive talent for his whole career, and has not only put up very good numbers (11th best QB rating of all time at the beginning of this year), but has won every single big game he's played in.  Brady is won of the few QBs in the league who HAS routinely won games when they've been put into his hands.  That's documented fact.

191608[/snapback]

Man, I really hate to do it.....but I agree with you. You can't deny it.

The problem that I have with all of this is people are saying he didn't have time.....

AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR he didn't have time....that is when teams were on him from the snap....

BUT

I thought that by the time we reached the midpoint of the season the Line was doing very well in their pass blocking....if anything I had a complaint because I wanted to see more dominance in the run blocking.......

This is the main problem I have with Drew.....its just the complete and total lack of mobility....for Christ sake fricken CREAKIN Christ Chandler and Vinny T. scramble better then Drew Bledsoe......

The problem that I have is we have a QB on the roster (for which we invested a LOT in) that has a cannon.....is big enough to throw from the pocket...AND had the mobility to keep teams from just pinning their ears back and sending a blitz every down........

Its time for his era to begin......

The problem that I have with all of this is people are saying he didn't have time.....

AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR he didn't have time....that is when teams were on him from the snap....

BUT

I thought that by the time we reached the midpoint of the season the Line was doing very well in their pass blocking....if anything I had a complaint because I wanted to see more dominance in the run blocking.......

This is the main problem I have with Drew.....its just the complete and total lack of mobility....for Christ sake fricken CREAKIN Christ Chandler and Vinny T. scramble better then Drew Bledsoe......

The problem that I have is we have a QB on the roster (for which we invested a LOT in) that has a cannon.....is big enough to throw from the pocket...AND had the mobility to keep teams from just pinning their ears back and sending a blitz every down........

Its time for his era to begin......

191627[/snapback]

Amen, brother

From the Buffalo News:

"Drew is still a very, very good quarterback in this league."

191385[/snapback]

Ron Jaworski still thinks that he is a very, very good quarterback, for goodness sakes!

Brady is where he is because of Dillon?  How did Dillon help Brady when Brady took an 0-2 team that was widely tought of as the worst in the NFL, and led them to the Super Bowl?  How did Dillon help Brady lead the league in TD passes in '02 despite a pathetic OL and supporting cast?  How did Dillon help Brady win ANOTHER Super Bowl in '03, despite suffering countless injuries to himself and his teammates?

Brady has done more with less than any QB in the NFL over the last three years, and Dillon was not a part of it.  Brady has been surrounded by mediocre offensive talent for his whole career, and has not only put up very good numbers (11th best QB rating of all time at the beginning of this year), but has won every single big game he's played in.  Brady is one of the few QBs in the league who HAS routinely won games when they've been put into his hands.  That's documented fact.

191608[/snapback]

No, what I SAID was that Brady has never been asked to take an entire game on his shoulders. He's always had a performing supporting cast, and has never been placed in the position of having to win a game all by his lonesome.

Were he...I doubt he could do it. Not many QBs can. If he has, and it's "well-documented fact"...then show the documentation.

And what do these numbers show?  Hell Thomlinson put up 1650 yards rushing last year and Drew Brees aabsolutely sucked. Brees had a 67 rating last year.  One doesn't depend on the other. 

Facts suck, don't they?

191526[/snapback]

Bledsoe sucks, that's a fact. :P

No, what I SAID was that Brady has never been asked to take an entire game on his shoulders.  He's always had a performing supporting cast, and has never been placed in the position of having to win a game all by his lonesome. 

Were he...I doubt he could do it.  Not many QBs can.  If he has, and it's "well-documented fact"...then show the documentation.

191723[/snapback]

Define a QB "being placed in the position of having to win a game all by his lonesome"? :P Is this where he snaps the ball to himself, sets it down, blocks all the DL, picks up the ball, throws it up and runs down the field and catches the ball for the winning TD all on the same play. :P:P

I wouldn't call it winning a game all by his lonesome, but Brady's 354 yards and 3 TD's in last years SB were pretty good in a big game. Of course some will tell you that the Patriots MVP is Vinatieri... :lol::lol::lol:

Define a QB "being placed in the position of having to win a game all by his lonesome"? :P Is this where he snaps the ball to himself, sets it down, blocks all the DL, picks up the ball, throws it up and runs down the field and catches the ball for the winning TD all on the same play. :lol:  :P

191734[/snapback]

Your amusing hyperbole notwithstanding :lol: ...where the QB is asked to take complete and sole responsibility for making the plays. That is, if the line isn't blocking, he has to avoid the rush; if the receivers aren't getting open, he must get them the ball...basically, no less than what too many people here expect a QB to do on a routine basis.

Although I read enough here that leads me to believe that most people take your hyperbole literally...people really DO seem to expect the QB to snap the ball to himself and block for himself while he completes a pass to himself or hands off to himself for a 10-yard run. :lol:

The typical Bledsoe season includes being at your worst when the games mean the most.

Which is just another way of saying that we can't rely on Bledsoe to win games...which is something we all knew to begin with. 

191476[/snapback]

No, it's another way of saying we can't rely on him to do anything on a consistent basis.

Admittedly, Manning, Brady, and McNabb are about the only QB's who can both win games and not lose games when called upon, depending on the situation.

Favre is unique in that he can win a game and lose a game by himself.

Carr won't win many games, but doesn't lose very many either.

And then there's Bledsoe. He fails to win games when challenged and fails to 'not lose the game' when it matters. Aside from brief spurts against bad defenses, he's the worst of both worlds.

Although I'd obviously prefer a Manning/Brady/McNabb, you can win a SB with the Favres/Carrs of the world providing you have a good supporting cast. I'm afraid with Drew that is not the case - unless you're the '78 Steelers and you have HOF players at every position; or for that matter, the '96 Patriots who had one of the greatest coaching staffs ever assembled to go along with a HOF RB and a very good defense.

Our OL is actually pretty good. DB just has to get rid of the ball. We have great weapons on offense at the skill positions. We need a guy who does not turn the ball over and can play a good game--doesn't need to be Manning. Let's hope JP could be that guy. Face it, come camp time the two QBs will be Drew and JP.

No, what I SAID was that Brady has never been asked to take an entire game on his shoulders.  He's always had a performing supporting cast, and has never been placed in the position of having to win a game all by his lonesome.

No QB in the history of the NFL has ever been asked to win a game all by himself. This kind of buzzword-based hyperbole means absolutely nothing.

The real point is that Brady is asked by his coaches to do more than the vast majority of other QBs in the NFL. He plays in a complex offense offense that requires the QB to act as an on-field coach, and he has succeeded in unbelievable fashion. While we have established that "winning a game all by himself" is meaningless hyperbole, Brady has been nothing short of perfect in the situations that require the QB to do the most in the least amount of time (end-of-game/end-of-half/overtime/two-minute-drill). Knowing this, it's safe to assume that Brady has done more "by himself" than most, if not all, NFL QBs.

Bledsoe sucks, that's a fact. :P

191733[/snapback]

This is a fact, but a team can win with a QB that sucks as long as its D and ST plays like a team and as long as the QB mistakes are not such that they are easily turned into points by the opposition.

My sense is that Bledsoe is playing about the way he always has played and I'm merely surprised why people are surprised at this.

I reject the arguments that he has never won anywhere because this is simply factually inaccurate. His teams won a substantial number of big games and just fell short when he QB'ed NE to the SB and he QB'ed the majority of a must-win game and even threw the winning TD which was an essential part of NE;s first SB victory. His legitimate Pro Bowl qualifying season in 2002 for the Bills indicated to me he still has the same skills (and the way NE undressed the Bills and his drop in productivity once opponents had ample tape of him running the Buffalo ottense was clear evidence to me that he also had the same limitations.

Its possible to win with Bledsoe sucking if you have an HC that does a job which compares to the job Parcells did with Bledsoe when he kept yelling throw the damn ball when he would go into his pat, and that BB/Weis did having Bledsoe run an offense which was powered down for Brady.

I was impressed witn MM/Clements that they did as much with a Bledsoe led Bills team as they did, but ultimately they and the Bills were not up to the level of BB and the SB winning Pats or Parcells and the second place Pats.

Next year to me is pretty much a question of whether JP shows he can do more than Bledsoe in pre-season. Its possible if he has ironed out the mechanical problems in practice. if he has used his enforced absense from playing well to soak up the Wyche knowledge and learn NFL offenses and efenses like a vet from a perch in the booth, and if in his limited play against NFL quality players in practice, pre-season and mop up time he has seen enough of the game to be calm and productive.

If JP is good enough I see no problem, if he is not good enough he will need some more time and MM/Clements will need to improve and refine the work they did winning against poor and second tier competition to a level where we can take on the best with Bledsoe's failings. Its been done before by great coaches and I think it can be done again, though I would much prefer that Losman turn out to be ready for primetime.

This is a fact, but a team can win with a QB that sucks as long as its D and ST plays like a team and as long as the QB mistakes are not such that they are easily turned into points by the opposition.

My sense is that Bledsoe is playing about the way he always has played and I'm merely surprised why people are surprised at this.

I reject the arguments that he has never won anywhere because this is simply factually inaccurate.  His teams won a substantial number of big games and just fell short when he QB'ed NE to the SB and he QB'ed the majority of a must-win game and even threw the winning TD which was an essential part of NE;s first SB victory.  His legitimate Pro Bowl qualifying season in 2002 for the Bills indicated to me he still has the same skills (and the way NE undressed the Bills and his drop in productivity once opponents had ample tape of him running the Buffalo ottense was clear evidence to me that he also had the same limitations.

Its possible to win with Bledsoe sucking if you have an HC that does a job which compares to the job Parcells did with Bledsoe when he kept yelling throw the damn ball when he would go into his pat, and that BB/Weis did having Bledsoe run an offense which was powered down for Brady.

I was impressed witn MM/Clements that they did as much with a Bledsoe led Bills team as they did, but ultimately they and the Bills were not up to the level of BB and the SB winning Pats or Parcells and the second place Pats.

Next year to me is pretty much a question of whether JP shows he can do more than Bledsoe in pre-season.  Its possible if he has ironed out the mechanical problems in practice. if he has used his enforced absense from playing well to soak up the Wyche knowledge and learn NFL offenses and efenses like a vet from a perch in the booth, and if in his limited play against NFL quality players in practice, pre-season and mop up time he has seen enough of the game to be calm and productive.

If JP is good enough I see no problem, if he is not good enough he will need some more time and MM/Clements will need to improve and refine the work they did winning against poor and second tier competition to a level where we can take on the best with Bledsoe's failings.  Its been done before by great coaches and I think it can be done again, though I would much prefer that Losman turn out to be ready for primetime.

191881[/snapback]

I think I just have a fundamental problem with trying to theorize how to win games with a QB who sucks lol

I reject the arguments that he has never won anywhere because this is simply factually inaccurate.

191881[/snapback]

The only time he ever really "won" anywhere, Jim Kelly was still the QB for the Bills.

Since then, save for a handful of good performances, he has royally sucked,

especially in big games against good opponents.

As Bill Murray once said,

That's the facts, Jack. ;)