Patriots looking for next franchise QB...

I don't see Brady in NE in 5 years. If BB is still leading the team he will be gone. This is not a bad idea and they're hoping they can get an Aaron Rodgers or Phillip Rivers type. Though, I see them getting someone in like Rivers (younger QB not yet risen to the peak of his ability and under 28)

No one in New England believes Mallett has what it takes....

He seems to be more popular among some Bills fans (not me) than the Pats. For that matter, the same could be said for Jimmy Clausen. I remember how many people here spontaneously combusted when the Bills did not draft him multiple times. Hey, but at least we could have said that we drafted a QB (and made some here and on GR happy).

Edited by Peter

Steve Young

Young started for two years for the Bucs before ever coming to the 49ers via trade...but your point is well taken. If you currently have one of the 5 best QB's in the history of the NFL and not quite sure about their longevity be it from age or injury then go ahead and try to find a successor. But for every Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers there are many Todd Collin's, Mark Malone's, and Tommy Maddux's.

Young started for two years for the Bucs before ever coming to the 49ers via trade...but your point is well taken. If you currently have one of the 5 best QB's in the history of the NFL and not quite sure about their longevity be it from age or injury then go ahead and try to find a successor. But for every Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers there are many Todd Collin's, Mark Malone's, and Tommy Maddux's.

I've heard of them! Buddy, asleep at the wheel again...wake'm up, git'r done!

Which to me is even more reason to start trying while they still have a competent player. Brady covers a lot of weaknesses so they can afford to do what they have been - taking a qb every year or so and hoping he turns out to be their heir apparent. It's what good franchises do.... (not get caught with their pants down when their superstar retires)

Which to me is even more reason to start trying while they still have a competent player. Brady covers a lot of weaknesses so they can afford to do what they have been - taking a qb every year or so and hoping he turns out to be their heir apparent. It's what good franchises do.... (not get caught with their pants down when their superstar retires)

Besides Mallett, have the Pats drafted a QB with a 2nd or 3rd round pick in recent times? It seems like a waste to be using a high pick that can help plug glaring talent holes on a QB crapshoot.

Besides Mallett, have the Pats drafted a QB with a 2nd or 3rd round pick in recent times? It seems like a waste to be using a high pick that can help plug glaring talent holes on a QB crapshoot.

No but they have grabbed Hoyer, Mallet, and Cassel in recent years (one more guy who I can't remember right now too). Point being Buddy took Levi Brown and mentioned how they should be trying every year to take a flier and then just stopped. I don't mind a 6th/7th on a qb every year. Most of those picks get cut anyway so there is not much risk involved and the reward could be either a trade piece or a center piece both nice rewards.