Good Article On Chip Kelly & Taking Risk On 4th Down

While I know where you are going with this, I'd still argue that he gets his share of the best COLLEGE athletes. Unfortunately, most of them are not adequately sized for the NFL.

I don't disagree that the Ducks recruit good players for their system. A lot of that has to do with success on the field (and maybe Nike giving them new uniforms every week). Still, I wouldn't just dismiss the system entirely and say the success is based solely on the top shelf athletes. Darron Thomas won two conference titles as the Ducks QB, wasn't drafted, and is out of football I believe. Critically, he was simply never all that good and his success was a product of their system. Before dismissing the system, it should be said that their style of offense is (was) different enough that it is extremely difficult for other college teams to get properly prepared to stop it in a week or so. On the other hand, success breeds copycats and we're seeing many of the same principles being used all across the country. Nobody stands still... B-)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BlackMamba,

The Phins EXAMPLE is scewed and the writer KNOWS it, The year they introduced the wildcat and "changed" their fortuins was hmm the same year Brady went down with his ACL... Brady stays healthy the Phins are HOME for the playoffs. (I don't think I am being a Pats Homer thinking Brady win ONE more game than Cassell right?)

Also 50% of NFL teams use the wildcats, now lets look at the teams that dont and see if we see a comman thread ok?

NE

Indy

Houston

Baltimore

Pittsburg

SD

Denver (W Manning)

NY Giants

Atlanta

Green Bay

Chicago

Detroit

Do I have to continue the teams that are contenders dont need the WILDCAT gimmick... IMO this guys style be a disaster and he go 1-15 with a bad club he would inherit.

Again this isnt about running the wildcat. It was using the wildcat as a comparison as to how the NFL is a copycat league and how if something leads to wins for one team, others are sure to follow.

Read the entire post instead of taking tidbits out and trying to debunk it.

Edited by TheBlackMamba

This is a great point.

I was listening to a program on our sports radio here in Toronto a couple of weeks ago, and they were talking about the psychology of coaches in the NFL, and how they very rarely take risks because they're coaching for their jobs. .

Well, clearly Gailey isn't coaching for his job.

The math is also not as simple - individual matchups, situational issues, etc..... Make it harder to pull the trigger. Coaches definitely err on the side of conservative but its often a tough call.

That's largely a cop-out. Yes sometimes the individual matchups & situational issues are to the advantage of the defense. But sometimes they aren't. Like when you have Cam Newton on your team - the best 4th&short QB in NFL history. Or this year's Bills OL vs the Titans defense.

BlackMamba,

The Phins EXAMPLE is scewed and the writer KNOWS it, The year they introduced the wildcat and "changed" their fortuins was hmm the same year Brady went down with his ACL... Brady stays healthy the Phins are HOME for the playoffs. (I don't think I am being a Pats Homer thinking Brady win ONE more game than Cassell right?)

Also 50% of NFL teams use the wildcats, now lets look at the teams that dont and see if we see a comman thread ok?

NE

Indy

Houston

Baltimore

Pittsburg

SD

Denver (W Manning)

NY Giants

Atlanta

Green Bay

Chicago

Detroit

Do I have to continue the teams that are contenders dont need the WILDCAT gimmick... IMO this guys style be a disaster and he go 1-15 with a bad club he would inherit.

I see this point get made a lot, for what reasons I don't know. The point is what - that you're better off with Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers than with Ryan Fitzpatrick or Mark Sanchez? No way! The 2008 Dolphins did not have Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, so they had to try to win with what they had. And they were pretty successful at it @11-5, regardless of whether NE would've won more games with their starting qb.

If you want it you have to go get it & that means taking chances . So let's just take a chance & call Chip Kelly & ask him if he want s to be our coach , all's he can say is no ... Right ???

But it was a great point and to add by going for it how much are you telling your offense that you believe in them ? What kind of a confidence booster is that ?

And when you have 2 guys in the back field like we have Why not ??

Plus if you are down around the 20 say 25 or less & you need a score & it has to be more than 3 to go ahead GO FOR IT !! If you don't make it it's the same as kicking it & getting a touch back or running it out with less of a possibility of running it all the way back for a TD .

So be a little more aggressive & put the confidence in the people you hired to get the job done & send them the message that you believe in their ability's !!!

Can't help but think, could taking a little more risk and trying outside of the box thinking help Chan Gailey turn things around? Sure! Will he do it? Probably not.

My personal argument is even with 7 guys in the box, CJ, Fred & Tashard could probably get it to 4th & 2 or less on 75% of all offensive possessions simply lining up with 5 offensive linemen, 2 tight ends, and 1 wideout, with Corey McIntrye lead blocking.

http://www.thepostga...-revolution-nfl

I'm a big Chip Kelly fan. However Gailey is not Chip Kelly, he simply can't pull it off. I still like the idea though.

Some of the most painful moments for me as a Bills fan was when Jauron would decide to punt from the 30-45 yard line, on a 4th and 2. The Bills would then proceed to punt into the end zone for a negligible net gain. I'd go for points, as opposed to 10-25 yards in field position every time.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Chip Kelly would be stupid to come to Buffalo. If he were to come to Buffalo he would immediately lose lots of credibility. More importantly I'm pretty sure he'd look at our roster and say no way. Maybe after we draft a QB with the #1 overall pick in 2013 we'll be good. Geno Smith might bring a few folks to Buffalo.

Well if we want to have a snow balls chance in hell of getting some one like this we need to send some one like our own Kelly out to start this conversation !

Jerry , Bud & a host of others will be after this guy when they read this & i can bet you that jerry will mortgage the farm to get this guy .

Ralph is to out of it to send Buddy out to get some one this good but this is the type of guy we need ! The only thing that we might have in our favor is that he 1) likes a challenge & 2) always routes for the underdog !!!

I think who ever thinks Chip Kelly would become Head coach of the Buffalo Bills is in Fantasyland. There is no way he would leave his job as one of the best football colleges on the west coast to coach one of the most disfunctional professional football teams in history only get fired in three yrs......

Edited by Rob T from OP

Why, why would Chip Kelly leave all the Phil Knight money and Oregon? He's highly paid, his next contract will be much bigger, the uniforms Phily boy provides does a lot of his recruiting for him. He plays an untempo offense which attracts elite athletes, so what's his motivation? He's in no danger of getting fired any time soon so why would he give that up to take such a risky job with a risky franchise that could move soon?