Good Article On Chip Kelly & Taking Risk On 4th Down

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think going for it on 4th down on your end of the field will work in the NFL.....unless you build the best O-Line in the league.

you take the current bills O-line (when 100% healthy)...a pretty good line.....but when they simply need to make a 1 yard run on 3rd or 4th down.....they are not so good.

In Kelly's offense the average time between plays is 13 seconds. That's why the Bills would appeal to him because of their young O-line who could keep up with the pace.

The D is no problem if the niners put up 56 Kelly's "Bills" would put up 62. Problem? What problem.

Let him bring in TE's, wideouts, and of course a QB.

The reason it could never work is unless Ralph offered 20 million per year. Kelly wouldn't even take the time to figure out where Buffalo is on a map. He could keep Gailey as his head ball washer though. In the end no way kelly would choose the Bills.

For any team with an innovative offensive coordinator capable of drafting up smart out-of-the-box plays, which we have, and a smart fan base, which no one has, I am game for this strategy. However, all it takes is one loss by three, when we went for it instead of kicking a FG, or gave it to an opponent in FG range, and the fans will howl--regardless of the two games we won directly because of the strategy.

Stupid comparison, I know, but my flag football team had a strategy of going for almost every time. Despite having less physical talent than most teams, we made a conversion more often than not, and won more games with the strategy than if we hadn't had it, IMO. After a few times, the dread of not stopping the conversion 60 percent of the time outweighs the elation of getting the ball on downs 40 percent. Again, I know the NFL most definitely ain't flag football, but the strategy and psychology are the same.

For what it's worth, I'd be happy going for it on fourth much more often. This team needs a spark. Badly.

Why, why would Chip Kelly leave all the Phil Knight money and Oregon? He's highly paid, his next contract will be much bigger, the uniforms Phily boy provides does a lot of his recruiting for him. He plays an untempo offense which attracts elite athletes, so what's his motivation? He's in no danger of getting fired any time soon so why would he give that up to take such a risky job with a risky franchise that could move soon?

Add: Jim Harbaugh declined to even interview with the Bills.

i don't think going for it on 4th down on your end of the field will work in the NFL.....unless you build the best O-Line in the league.

you take the current bills O-line (when 100% healthy)...a pretty good line.....but when they simply need to make a 1 yard run on 3rd or 4th down.....they are not so good.

because we keep passing instead of getting behind the Woodman or Levitre and Glenn with Cmac hitting the LB in the gap.

Chan should have alot more confidence in the line and the run. A little less in Fitz when in the second half. Mathematic clearly show that either fred or cj will break one for 5 + every 6 carries

Edited by 3rdand12