Mitt Romney's Policies

fjl2nd

I wanted to make a thread to talk only about Mitt Romney and his "plans" (mainly economic) for the country. What is he bringing to the table that will make us a better country now and in the future. He has been overly vague and it is pretty much fact now that is tax policy proposals are basically impossible mathematically along with balancing a budget.

He is so vague about things that it is hard to get a sense of what he will actually do or at least propose. The guy is saying anything that sounds good right now to get elected. It's a little scary that he is basically running on nothing and is close to winning.

The evil Paul Krugman has a new column comparing the two candidate's economic plans : http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/opinion/krugman-pointing-toward-prosperity.html?_r=0

So, maybe some of his supporters here can give me their take why Mitt is better for the country without insulting our current President. You can compare policy but at least try to keep the focus on Romney. Or I guess you can direct me to his website!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the Presidents plan?

What do I compare to: Cutting taxes for the wealthy and raising taxes on the middle class?

We can make another thread on Obama and talk about his plan there, but here we're just focusing on Romney.

We can make another thread on Obama and talk about his plan there, but here we're just focusing on Romney.

Good point. Do you really want his plan? You know we all can just point to the plan right? But you don't. So, just out with it already... post your rebuttal to what you think his "plan" is.

Good point. Do you really want his plan? You know we all can just point to the plan right? But you don't. So, just out with it already... post your rebuttal to what you think his "plan" is.

I'm assuming you are talking about Obama's plan? Yes, I support a good chunk of what he brings to the table. Plus, I support some of the things he has accomplished over the last four years as well.

Items he got done I agreed with:

- Health Reform - I think the plan is decent. Not single payer like I prefer, but was a plan 1996 Republicans would have loved!

- Recovery Act - There are a couple things to look at there. It did not do enough to stimulate the economy in the very short-term. However, there were some good things hidden in there like clean energy investments and raising fuel efficiency standards over time. Also not big enough overall to stimulate demand.

- Capturing Bin Laden. Enough said.

- Ending War in Iraq and closing in on Afghanistan.

- Race to the Top in education. This country's future depends on investment in education. That doesn't necessarily mean more money, but also better programs and policies.

On to his plan going forward:

- Focusing again on education. He is proposing recruiting 100,000 new teachers for math and science. And a renewed focus of training workers at community colleges. Education is the most important aspect to the future direction of the coutnry. The age of low-skilled, high paying jobs is over.

- Taxes. There is a lot that goes into tax policy. I agree that income rates on the wealthy should go up to back around 40%. That has little effect of economic growth , but can bring in more tax revenue. I agree with the estate tax, which Romney is trying to eliminate. Capital Gains should be around 20%. Closing corporate loopholes is also a plus.

- Implementation of Obamacare. A smooth transition to this giant program is best. I don't it would be repealed regardless but at least there won't be a fight over it.

- Clean Energy. Does Romney have any plans on energy outside of oil? Obama has set standards for the future. Cars required to have a standard of 54 MPG by 2025. Utility companies will have to use clean energy sources. Plenty of investment in all different types of energy. All this leads to longer term growth for the country.

I have more but wanted to post something before everyone falls asleep while I work overnight!

I'm assuming you are talking about Obama's plan? Yes, I support a good chunk of what he brings to the table. Plus, I support some of the things he has accomplished over the last four years as well.

Items he got done I agreed with:

- Health Reform - I think the plan is decent. Not single payer like I prefer, but was a plan 1996 Republicans would have loved!

- Recovery Act - There are a couple things to look at there. It did not do enough to stimulate the economy in the very short-term. However, there were some good things hidden in there like clean energy investments and raising fuel efficiency standards over time. Also not big enough overall to stimulate demand.

- Capturing Bin Laden. Enough said.

- Ending War in Iraq and closing in on Afghanistan.

- Race to the Top in education. This country's future depends on investment in education. That doesn't necessarily mean more money, but also better programs and policies.

On to his plan going forward:

- Focusing again on education. He is proposing recruiting 100,000 new teachers for math and science. And a renewed focus of training workers at community colleges. Education is the most important aspect to the future direction of the coutnry. The age of low-skilled, high paying jobs is over.

- Taxes. There is a lot that goes into tax policy. I agree that income rates on the wealthy should go up to back around 40%. That has little effect of economic growth , but can bring in more tax revenue. I agree with the estate tax, which Romney is trying to eliminate. Capital Gains should be around 20%. Closing corporate loopholes is also a plus.

- Implementation of Obamacare. A smooth transition to this giant program is best. I don't it would be repealed regardless but at least there won't be a fight over it.

- Clean Energy. Does Romney have any plans on energy outside of oil? Obama has set standards for the future. Cars required to have a standard of 54 MPG by 2025. Utility companies will have to use clean energy sources. Plenty of investment in all different types of energy. All this leads to longer term growth for the country.

I have more but wanted to post something before everyone falls asleep while I work overnight!

If that was really feasible why the hell didn't he set standards at 100 mpg? Sure, giving grants to companies that can't compete and go belly up even with free money is a success story. Explain how any of this leads to growth.

If that was really feasible why the hell didn't he set standards at 100 mpg? Sure, giving grants to companies that can't compete and go belly up even with free money is a success story. Explain how any of this leads to growth.

More efficient energy will not only create new jobs, it will make businesses and workers possibly more productive. Developing new types of energy that can be used easily will attract businesses to come to the country. But probably the most important thing it does it cuts our imports of oil. Obama has already done that by 20% I believe over his first four years.

More efficient energy will not only create new jobs, it will make businesses and workers possibly more productive. Developing new types of energy that can be used easily will attract businesses to come to the country. But probably the most important thing it does it cuts our imports of oil. Obama has already done that by 20% I believe over his first four years.

Mandating fuel standards doesn't actually make it happen. Dumping tax money into supporter's coffers who have companies producing rainbow farting unicorns is not productive. The only reason that oil imports are down is because of Bush's policies. Obama has reduced new drilling permits on Federal land by 40%. If we had a concerted effort to become energy independent, we could do it and get out from under the yoke of foreign oil that we have around our neck. Obama is working against traditional energy sources and pushing his make-believe agenda, all at the expense of the American worker and consumer.

Mandating fuel standards doesn't actually make it happen. Dumping tax money into supporter's coffers who have companies producing rainbow farting unicorns is not productive. The only reason that oil imports are down is because of Bush's policies. Obama has reduced new drilling permits on Federal land by 40%. If we had a concerted effort to become energy independent, we could do it and get out from under the yoke of foreign oil that we have around our neck. Obama is working against traditional energy sources and pushing his make-believe agenda, all at the expense of the American worker and consumer.

Going to need a citation on that 40% number. I'm pretty oil produced here is up and imports down 20%.

I wanted to make a thread to talk only about Mitt Romney and his "plans" (mainly economic) for the country. What is he bringing to the table that will make us a better country now and in the future. He has been overly vague and it is pretty much fact now that is tax policy proposals are basically impossible mathematically along with balancing a budget.

He is so vague about things that it is hard to get a sense of what he will actually do or at least propose. The guy is saying anything that sounds good right now to get elected. It's a little scary that he is basically running on nothing and is close to winning.

The evil Paul Krugman has a new column comparing the two candidate's economic plans : http://www.nytimes.c...erity.html?_r=0

So, maybe some of his supporters here can give me their take why Mitt is better for the country without insulting our current President. You can compare policy but at least try to keep the focus on Romney. Or I guess you can direct me to his website!

Simply put, Romney will remove uncertainty from the business climate releasing one to two trillion dollars of investor money from the sidelines. He'll do this by stopping obamacare, relaxing regulation requirements and lowering taxes on investments. This puts the ball in motion for a real recovery. Once Americans start feeling comfortable about their jobs and income you will see an explosion of demand from a consumer who've been waiting a long time to feel good about spending money again.

America's a rocket ready to take off and Romney has the ignition switch.

Going to need a citation on that 40% number. I'm pretty oil produced here is up and imports down 20%.

You need to read what I said. Any production increases have been on private land. Federal permits are down.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/04/politics/fact-check-oil-gas/index.html

"True, there has been a significant drop -- one tied, in part, to the unprecedented Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Yet the actual numbers of permits and licenses haven't been "cut ... in half." As mentioned above (and including data from part of the Bush administration), there has been a 42% decrease in leases and 37% decrease in drilling permits -- not 50%, as Romney implied."

Mitt Romney's tax plan requires an average of 3% annual growth, which is quite reasonable historically.

Et voila!

I like his idea of cutting taxes on anyone making under 250K for dividends/interest and capital gains. Would push people from putting their money in tax deferred accounts.

He has been overly vague and it is pretty much fact now that is tax policy proposals are basically impossible mathematically along with balancing a budget.

Why do you need to start a fake thread 'asking' for people to talk about what Gov. Romney is going to do for the country? You clearly and obviously won't listen, as per the quote above. You're starting from a spot that says that you won't believe anything anyone will say.

What's the point?

Simply put, Romney will remove uncertainty from the business climate releasing one to two trillion dollars of investor money from the sidelines. He'll do this by stopping obamacare, relaxing regulation requirements and lowering taxes on investments. This puts the ball in motion for a real recovery. Once Americans start feeling comfortable about their jobs and income you will see an explosion of demand from a consumer who've been waiting a long time to feel good about spending money again.

America's a rocket ready to take off and Romney has the ignition switch.

That isn't a policy, that's an opinion. Romney himself said, in that infamous 47% speech, that he believes the economy will soar just because he's president with no other action necessary. Sure.

What do the experts say?

And the economy is still growing under Obama.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

That isn't a policy, that's an opinion. Romney himself said, in that infamous 47% speech, that he believes the economy will soar just because he's president with no other action necessary. Sure.

What do the experts say?

You do realize that there are other 'non-partisan' 'experts' who say that the Governor's plan works great, don't you?

Is that what the President's supporters are left with? Cheering for 2.0% GDP growth? Really? We're supposed to be HAPPY with that?

You do realize that there are other 'non-partisan' 'experts' who say that the Governor's plan works great, don't you?

Is that what the President's supporters are left with? Cheering for 2.0% GDP growth? Really? We're supposed to be HAPPY with that?

2.0% and trending upward, along with unemployment trending downward? Yeah, I can cheer for that. As for Romney's non-partisan experts, how about putting a link up? I'd like to read what they say. In the meantime...

US News: 6 Independent groups say Romney tax plan can't work.

Then again, neither Romney nor Ryan have actually revealed any details from their plan so who can really tell?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2.0% and trending upward, along with unemployment trending downward? Yeah, I can cheer for that. As for Romney's non-partisan experts, how about putting a link up? I'd like to read what they say. In the meantime...

Then again, neither Romney nor Ryan have actually revealed any details from their plan so who can really tell?

PTR

Neither do Obama's apparently.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/10/25/cnn_talks_with_obama_camp_and_says_obamas_math_still_doesnt_add_up.html

PTR

Your own original link had an 'expert' who said it could work.