Gailey is 13-26 as Head Coach

Bufcomments

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't inherit a mess. He inherited a team with a mediocre record, but with players who were pro bowl material (Marshawn Lynch, Jabari Greer, Lee Evans, He failed to recognize his biggest areas of weakness (offensive and defensive line) and failed to make good draft choices. His on field game calling (especially this year) is just pathetic.

He took a team two games away from a playoff birth and made it one of the worst teams in the league.

The shame is that this team has the actual talent to be an eight or nine win team with the right leadership. Well, at least a 7 win team anyway.

Mike Shanahan's record in Washington : 14-25.

Not that I support Gailey's regime, but that should help put some things in perspective.

BUT...Shanny now has a Franchise QB in tow, a good young RB, and some talent on the O-Line...The Defense was pretty solid before the injuries...A couple years from now Washington should be VERY good...There is SERIOUS hope in Washington...We have NONE... B-)

Chan Gailey: 13-26, .333

Perry Fewell: 3-4, .429

Dick Jauron: 24-33, .421

Mike Mularkey: 14-18, .438

Gregg Williams: 17-31, .354

This makes me feel like coaching has not been the biggest problem. The bills need to get better at bringing in talent. I think Chan is one heck of a good coach. His biggest mistake is the coaching staff he has assembled. Don't get me wrong, it is an important part of the job, but the guys can coach the offense.

BUT...Shanny now has a Franchise QB in tow, a good young RB, and some talent on the O-Line...The Defense was pretty solid before the injuries...A couple years from now Washington should be VERY good...There is SERIOUS hope in Washington...We have NONE... B-)

Not saying I'm in favor of Gailey long term but it's funny how we bash our own and make excuses for other teams. Shanny had McNabb and proven QBs before this season. Also, our rbs and oline are better than the Skins. The only thing they have better than us is a franchise QB. Shanny has done a worse job than Gailey at this point. The biggest criticism of Gailey is his DC choices and that they believed Fitz was the answer at QB.

Chan Gailey: 13-26, .333Perry Fewell: 3-4, .429Dick Jauron: 24-33, .421Mike Mularkey: 14-18, .438Gregg Williams: 17-31, .354
This makes me feel like coaching has not been the biggest problem. The bills need to get better at bringing in talent. I think Chan is one heck of a good coach. His biggest mistake is the coaching staff he has assembled. Don't get me wrong, it is an important part of the job, but the guys can coach the offense.
All those coaches have a very big thing in common(excluding Fewell because he was an interim coach): they were/are all bottom-five in the NFL in SALARY. This organization, Ralph Wilson in particular, has never placed a premium on coaching or management. Only one time has Wilson gone out and got a top-notch coach in Chuck Knox in 1978, who promptly turned around a terrible Bills team and took them to the playoffs in '80 and '81, only to get into a contract squabble with Ralph Wilson (can anybody sense a theme here!!!) and leave for the Seahawks, promptly turning around that team. He got lucky hiring Bill Polian, who was a nobody at the time. He got lucky with Marv Levy, who was every bit a re-tread when he was hired, and one can certainly argue that a coaching change was warranted after the Redskins Super Bowl loss or the first Dallas loss.The problem here is that in 80's and 90's, you could win some games and have good seasons with having a very talented roster because teams that were less talented than you were took much longer to turn around into winners. That is not the case today. The NFL is ALL about coaching. And if it's not all about coaching it is certainly 80-20 coaching to talent. Yes, QBs are very important, but you don't win Super Bowls with bottom of the barrel coaching hires. Edited by BrooklynBills