28 yard FG miss is unacceptable

Thailog80

I think this is an interesting question. Alternately, what makes a good kicker turn it around and get crappy. I'm no analyst of good or bad kickers, but christ...as an example, didn't one guy used to be called Automatica Grammatica? How does a kicker suddenly get the yips?

190476[/snapback]

Muscle memory or it's all in the head. Take any repetitive action sporting movement and it all comes down to doing things repetitively. Ever seen any sports star apply their trade blind folded. The King and his Court being the main figure which comes to mind. Once you start the action, there is no thought involved, just muscle memory.

Conversely, drop your confidence or start thinking when your performing and your surely in for some rough times.

Next time your out golfing with some buddies, ask them if they inhale or exhale when they swing. That could very well be enough distraction to throw their game off. Again, they shouldn't be thinking when they swing, its repetitive action again.

I have been on Lindell's case for most of the season, and I do hope that the Bills let him go. It's not only because of yesterday. For most of this season whenever Lindell came on to kick a FG, you just held your breath, because you were not sure if he was going to make it or miss it.

Someone on this post noted that Steve Christie would miss FG's too, but when it came down to crunch time and you needed a big kick, Christie would make the all-important FG's more than he would miss them.

That is what you do not get with Lindell. Forget the FG's, how about his kickoffs? How many touchbacks did he have this season?

I do not see Lindell as a solution. Let him go. I would be thrilled if the Bills used our 2nd round pick on Mike Nugent. I know we have other needs, but a new kicker would sure help.

Funny that nobody can explain to me why he lined up at such an angle.  :P

190172[/snapback]

:lol: Lindell answered my question........article on the front page. Wind was blowing right to left......hence........weird left-sided line-up.

:P  Lindell answered my question........article on the front page. Wind was blowing right to left......hence........weird left-sided line-up.

191556[/snapback]

Did he think he was in a friggin hurricane? Granted, I have not seen a straight on shot yet, but from my seat (field level to the right of kicking team), it looked to be pretty WIDE.

I can see compensating for the wind for a 40-50 yarder, but he definitely blew that one...

TD signed him as a free agent, but during this whole year, the coaching staff passed up many field goals beyond 40 yds. So what if he made 85% of his FG's if they were all less than 40 yds. The coaches did not have faith in him and he showed us why with that kick.

I don't remember Seattle being too sad when we outbid them for his services.

I hope Kicker is VERY high on the to-do list for 2005!

Did he think he was in a friggin hurricane?  Granted, I have not seen a straight on shot yet, but from my seat (field level to the right of kicking team), it looked to be pretty WIDE.

I can see compensating for the wind for a 40-50 yarder, but he definitely blew that one...

191620[/snapback]

Yup. The old over-compensation trick. :P

Did we not say at the beginning of the season that this guy was going to cost us?

190171[/snapback]

the problems with lindell are more than his missed gimme-type field goals (v. jags, jets, and pitts). the writers say he has a high percentage, but we don't try anything beyond a 40-yarder because his chances are slim-to-none.

it also demoralizes the entire offense when you work your butts off to get within a reasonable distance and get a big fat goose egg out of it (0 points).

furthermore, his kickoffs barely make it to the opponent's 15 or 20 yard line which means other teams start their drives around the 35 to 40.

check out shayne graham in cincinnati and wonder why we let him go!

Well, Lindell has had more time here than Jake Arians, Mike Hollis and Shayne Graham.  And he sucks more than each of them.  We're talking Jake Arians here, man.

191795[/snapback]

He sucks alot more than Mike Hollis but the other two are HIGHLY debatable. Of course, absence make the heart grow fonder - which probably explains why you don't remember those two being subject to pretty much the same amount of scorn.

He sucks alot more than Mike Hollis but the other two are HIGHLY debatable.  Of course, absence make the heart grow fonder - which probably explains why you don't remember those two being subject to pretty much the same amount of scorn.

191798[/snapback]

No, I do remember cringing every time Arians came up to bat. But at least he wasn't a highly touted free agent. And at least he wasn't coddled by the coaching staff to be kept out of any challenging situations. Graham was his replacement and he never got a full year with us. It might have been wise to see what he could have done. But hindsight is blah blah blah blah blah.

The Hollis injury didn't help us though.