QB's we can make a play 4, Other than Draft

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had to, and the scouts believed he'd be as good in the pro's, then YES. There is just WAY TOO MUCH emphasis put on a draft - one draft, or, rather, the idea of one draft being traded for one player, as being a terrible move that would set a team back for years.

I'll tell you this: if Geno Smith turned out as good as Griffin III, then it would be worth it. What do we end up with with our drafts, usually, anyway? Look at Nix's first draft - Spiller, Carrington, Troupe, Moats, White... my point is, other than Spiller, I'd take a star QB over any and all of the guys we drafted that year. Because, if we need to aquire, say, a LB and a WR as well as a QB next year - we could get the QB with the draft, go get FA WR and LB, and go into camp with a team that still would have many 2nd and 3rd year players. We'd probably be instantly a top 12 team with a better LB and a good QB. (if our D-Coordinator figures things out)

My point is this - even an entire draft for the right QB, who will be here playing great for a decade would end up adding more wins, more strength to this team than that same draft without the QB, and a bunch of Troups, Carringtons, Moats, etc. I'm not suggesting that extreme trade policy for just any player or situation. Ours is unique. We are never bad enough to have the QB land at our spot, and we never trade up, so we just never end up with a QB - and, you cannot win in this league without one (the exceptions to that rule require Genius coaching and a superstar defense - again, which would take as much to aquire as a draft for a QB).

The problem with your logic is you pretty much have to trade 2 to 3 drafts away to move up from pick 10 to pick 2 in the draft... this years 1 and 2, next years 1 and 2, etc. that's what it takes. For a team that needs every pick it can get, especially with MW sucking up all the FA cap space, not sure we can do that. Got to go get the best FA we can and stick him in there. The Kevin Kolb approach.

Vick's sorry ass would get knocked out within the first 6 games and we would all be clamoring for the rookie QB to come in. Seriously, this guy hasn't won a meaningful game in years even with the way better supporting players he has. Does the Dream Team ring a bell? We all know how that worked out. I don't think people are necessarily saying Fitz is better than Vick, but rather Vick is no better than Fitz. For the purposes of our team, such a lateral move would be meaningless. Why would we draft a QB in the first only to have him sit on the bench behind Vick of all people. What would ever be the purpose of that?

Come on, your missing Ryan Leaf. He's in much better shape health wise than Manning at this point, so it should work out well.

So your gonna put that meltdown on Vick. When they had an Oline coach as there Defensive Cord. Actaully by the end of last season by the time there DC got into his role. The Eagles were the most dangerous team at the end of the yr and they would of been very hard to beat in the playoffs. They ended up missing the playoffs on a tie-breaker. I think were gonna need 2 new QB's next season. One in the draft and one via free agency or trade. Knowing how this team drafts we can't depend on any QB to come in and become a Star. Even if we took Geno or Barkley I really have no confidence in our team with its current coaches to develop anyone right away. Were gonna need a bridge player just in case.

If you had to, and the scouts believed he'd be as good in the pro's, then YES. There is just WAY TOO MUCH emphasis put on a draft - one draft, or, rather, the idea of one draft being traded for one player, as being a terrible move that would set a team back for years.

I'll tell you this: if Geno Smith turned out as good as Griffin III, then it would be worth it. What do we end up with with our drafts, usually, anyway? Look at Nix's first draft - Spiller, Carrington, Troupe, Moats, White... my point is, other than Spiller, I'd take a star QB over any and all of the guys we drafted that year. Because, if we need to aquire, say, a LB and a WR as well as a QB next year - we could get the QB with the draft, go get FA WR and LB, and go into camp with a team that still would have many 2nd and 3rd year players. We'd probably be instantly a top 12 team with a better LB and a good QB. (if our D-Coordinator figures things out)

My point is this - even an entire draft for the right QB, who will be here playing great for a decade would end up adding more wins, more strength to this team than that same draft without the QB, and a bunch of Troups, Carringtons, Moats, etc. I'm not suggesting that extreme trade policy for just any player or situation. Ours is unique. We are never bad enough to have the QB land at our spot, and we never trade up, so we just never end up with a QB - and, you cannot win in this league without one (the exceptions to that rule require Genius coaching and a superstar defense - again, which would take as much to aquire as a draft for a QB).

I wish we would taken the trade the whole draft approach last yr. How often does a QB LIKE RGIII become available? We would of probably had to give the 3firsts and 2nds. But it is worth EVERY PICK. Having a francise QB like RGIII fills a few things.

First of all we get that Franchise QB that we have been looking since Kelly left.

Secondly we become a nationally recognized team. Example like the COLTS WITH PEYTON.

3RD OF ALL we would been able to replenish those picks with high caliber free agents that would want to play in Buffalo cause we have a franchise QB.

Last but not least, there won't be any Harbaughs or Cowhers turning down our coaching job if we had a FRANCHISE QB.

1. A reasonable trade for Flynn may not be a bad idea...His signing bonus has already been paid and his contract wasn't ridiculous if I remember. I would consider a trade of Fitz and a 3rd rounder for him. No more than a 3rd rounder. I really don't think he is the answer but he probably is more accurate than Fitz and I don't trust Carroll's coaching decisions.

2. Cousins would not be a bad guy to take a flier on. Played a pro-style/3 wide offense at Michigan St. Not a spread offense QB,.

3. Romo would be a serious upgrade over anything we have had since Bledsoes' first 8 games. A second round pick woudl be fair.

4. The rest are no better or far worse than Fitz.

The perplexing one not listed is Billy Volek. A little long in the tooth now, but out of football for only this year, and is a free agent. Had a strong Schaub/Flynn type resume as a backup and was seen by everyone as a potential starter. Amazingly, decided to go to SD as a backup rather than compete for a starting job. Has a career 85 rating and won a playoff game against top seeded Indy on the road in 07. Given that he never wanted the pressure of being a starter, would it be possible to coax him out of retirement to try and save the franchise?

:lol:

Well played. The sad part is he wouldn't be the worst option among those mentioned in this thread.

And btw...how do people propose to get guys like Mallet and Cousins who are under contract? Are people suggesting trading a higher pick for these guys than the Bills were willing to invest in them when they were drafted?

Good point. Even though Vick has worse stats across the board than Fitz playing with a far superior receiving core and a defense that is ranked 23 spots higher than the Bills and has one more win (by a point over a Cleveland team we handled easily and Vick threw a INT in the endzone that was dropped to cost the Browns a win), he is obviously 10 times better. This makes total sense. Btw, what happen when the Bills played vick last year?

I get it. You hate Fitz. But despite all his talent, Vick has been a worse QB than Fitz. In fact for his career, Vick starts out great until defenses learn to defend him. It happened in ATL and since his 8 games start in 2010, he has been a really bad QB.

Well the ghost of Jason Peters and the great Demetress Bell are protecting Vick, Good on you if you actually think Fitz is better than Vick. Vick actually wins more games than he loses, my argument would really end there. You roll with the 17-40 guy ill take the 40-17 guy as of 2010...

I just can't wait until we don't have to debate over how terrible fitz is one day. Geno save us!

I disagree Vick is definatly an upgrade over Fitz.. He`s more athletic, stronger more accurate arm. Vick`s Oline is garbage he has no time to throw the ball plus he`s taken a beaten over these last two yrs. He flourished his first yr because there line was much better. But they have gotten older and injured over these last 2yrs.

I do believe if we made this move that we will have to either draft a QB or trade for 1 of those other young QB`s on my list to develop in our system.

No- net wash, Vick is better deep passer, worse decision maker, better runner, worse leader about the same in the short game. Eagles aren't faring better than the bills with a MUCH more talented offense, particularly, rb, all wr, and TE.

I think I like webb most out of the list. Cousins is a frank reich clone.

Top QBs are a combo of the physical skills- athletic, strong arm and muscle memory to be repeatable as well as, the game smarts, leadership ability and ability to handle pressure of being the guy. To be good you have to rate high in most or all of these categories. That is why these guys are so rare. Most second stringers or lousy first stringers are good in a bunch of these spots but lacking in a few too.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Which leads me to my subject, I made a list of QB's I would like to see us go after that are on NFL ROSTERS.

#1- Jamrcus WEBB- I really like this kid he has some skills. Very fast great runner with a cannon arm. Not the most polished but under the right system like Gaileys. This kid can flourish. I think this kid has a ton of upside.

#2-Mike Vick- If the Eagles don't make the playoffs look for Vick to either be outright released or traded. I would love to have him. I think with our Offensive line we can give Vick the protection he desperatly needs. And under Gaileys system he would be the perfect QB for his offense. Even if the Bills clean house and fire Gailey. I still believe Vick or Webb will still be a good fit.

#3-Tony Romo- Same as Vick. Dallas might be ready to move on after this season. Brings expericence and will be a major upgrade over Fitz.

#4-Kirk Cousins- Big strong armed accurate QB with great leadership skills. I like his poise and passion to be a leader on our team. Kind of reminds me of a young Steve Young.

#5-Ryan Mallet- If the Bills clean house fire ChanNix, I believe this Big strong rocket armed QB will be a great fit in Buffalo. With the windy conditions in Buffalo. This guy can throw threw those winds.

These are my top five the following are on my Honorable mention list.

#6-Chase Daniels

#7- TJ Yates

#8 -Jason Cambell

#9-Matt Flynn

#10-Matt Moore

Ok guys Chime in who would u like to see? If I missed anyone let me know.

I didn`t forget Colin Kaepernick, I just don`t think he will be available for trade. Jim Harbaugh loves this Kid.

If he was on the list he would be #1

You're the guy who posted enthusiastically about how you'd "do this trade in a heartbeat" to the proposal that GB trade us "a couple of picks" for Freddie or maybe AJ Hawk, aren't you?

'Nuff said.

:lol:

Well played. The sad part is he wouldn't be the worst option among those mentioned in this thread.

And btw...how do people propose to get guys like Mallet and Cousins who are under contract? Are people suggesting trading a higher pick for these guys than the Bills were willing to invest in them when they were drafted?

The same way we get GB to trade AJ Hawk for Fredex, one would suppose. Or should I say, one would imagine?

1. A reasonable trade for Flynn may not be a bad idea...His signing bonus has already been paid and his contract wasn't ridiculous if I remember. I would consider a trade of Fitz and a 3rd rounder for him. No more than a 3rd rounder. I really don't think he is the answer but he probably is more accurate than Fitz and I don't trust Carroll's coaching decisions.

2. Cousins would not be a bad guy to take a flier on. Played a pro-style/3 wide offense at Michigan St. Not a spread offense QB,.

3. Romo would be a serious upgrade over anything we have had since Bledsoes' first 8 games. A second round pick woudl be fair.

4. The rest are no better or far worse than Fitz.

Dudes! Let me waft the coffee smell towards ya! Wake up and smell it! These guys are all under contract.

1. Seattle did not trade Tarvaris Jackson because they want to get rid of Flynn - it is not inconceivable he will be starting before the end of the season.

2. The Redskins did not use a 4th round pick on Cousins so that they could let someone "take a flyer" on him - they did so because with RGIII, they perceived the need for a quality backup

3. Dallas is not letting Romo go until/unless his replacement has proven to be better.

If you want to speculate about unobtainable quarterbacks, why not go for the gusto and talk about how to get one of the elite guys here - you know, Stafford, Rodgers, Brees, Manning - oh, I forget, NO is losing right now so we don't want him 'cuz it's the QB who wins.

You're the guy who posted enthusiastically about how you'd "do this trade in a heartbeat" to the proposal that GB trade us "a couple of picks" for Freddie or maybe AJ Hawk, aren't you?

'Nuff said.

Youre the guy (gal?) who spent all preseason saying how great Fitz was, launching on anyone who disagreed, and scapegoating every thing in sight for fitz failings ... "the line" "the WRs" "the rib" etc etc. Well the lines acknowledged as good, so are the WRs w/ SJ, Chandler, Graham etc ... and Fitz is worse than ever, with every objective analyst weighing in on how bad his arm is. Yet you're still here posting, questioning the credibility of others? Unreal

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The best option for this regime is to draft one if not two QBs... Perhaps they could bring in a veteran to compete in training camp and be a viable backup, but this franchise desperately needs to draft and develop a QB. A large majority of Super Bowl winners during the free agency era have used this philosophy.

Youre the guy (gal?) who spent all preseason saying how great Fitz was, launching on anyone who disagreed, and scapegoating every thing in sight for fitz failings ... "the line" "the WRs" "the rib" etc etc. Well the lines acknowledged as good, so are the WRs w/ SJ, Chandler, Graham etc ... and Fitz is worse than ever, with every objective analyst weighing in on how bad his arm is. Yet you're still here posting, questioning the credibility of others? Unreal

You puzzle me, Joe. Your posts show you possess football intelligence. Thus how you can interpret the body of what I post in this light is somewhat of a mystery as is why you respond in such an obviously refutable way (Have you actually looked at the Bills IR and injury reports? Most people acknowledge #2 WR as a gap? and yes, we all including me acknowledge that Fitz has sucked so fa?r).

The best I can come up with is you're the sort of chap whose reading comprehension goes "kaflooie" when he gets all hot and bothered, and who then launches crusades.

I typically ignore you as you follow me around TBD and the Shoutbox. A point-by-point refutation of the positions you impute to me seems more tedious than it's worth and I consider the burden of proof is on you, to produce evidence (in context) that you're not just blowing smoke and twinkies. Otherwise you just look silly.

If you respond to the topic at hand - do you really think GB would trade us AJ Hawk for an injured >30 year old FredEx? (see JW's response). Do you really think it's credible that Flynn, Cousins, Romo, or Mallet are up for grabs? I might have something to say to you.