An Argument for letting Pat Williams go

I'm ready to take some flack for what I'm about to say but as much as I like the guy, I think we might want to consider letting him go. However I would only consider this if it would allow us to get Corey Simon. Of course I doubt this would happen due to the prescence of Ron Edwards and Tim Anderson. Not to mention we could probably get Williams cheaper and I know Simon isn't the run stuffer that Williams is. Yet Simon's youth and added pass rush might be be worth considering if looking at the short and long term good of the team. As we all know our D-line is severly lacking a pass rusher not named Schobel. Most have looked to the LDE spot for help but perhaps it's time to look at the DTs. Also, despite recording 5 sacks, I don't consider Sam Adams a pass rushing DT where this is Simon's forte (I know Simon only had 5.5 this year but consider this, Simon has more sacks the last two seasons then Williams has for his career. Added that Simon is 5 years younger then Williams, it would give us a true centerpiece for if Adams leaves in a year or two as I personally think he will. Not to mention I think Ron Edwards has only shown to be a wave (3rd down and spot starter) player and I question how good Anderson can be considering he was inactive most of the year and unable to beat out Justin Bannan, who I consider a career backup. Thoughts?

All about the price , seeing that Pat Williams has posed no problems, a consistent run stuffer, invovled with community, good tandem with sam adams, if he was to come cheaper then simon..Be rest assured williams will be back next season..he's quite the fan favorite.

190044[/snapback]

I like Pat as much as the next guy, it was just a matter of thinking with my head instead of my heart. No doubt Pat Williams is a good player and man but one can't play sentimental favorites with players if expect to win. One last point didn't include in original post, I know tackles are an unofficial stat but I should also point out Williams total dropped from 82 to 41 (not including today's stats) this year, I hope this isn't because his age is catching up with him but is a significant drop and again despite not being the tackler that Williams is Simon was credited with 32 (not including today's stats) this season.

Sam Adams actually can be an effective pass rushing DT. Two things have held him back. Early this season he was a run first, control the gap tackle, After his outburst, he was allowed more pass rushing opportunities and more downs, thus some sacks. Second, which is up to him, would be to shed a few pounds. One thing Sam showed this year was that he still can explode coming off the ball even quicker than DT's who weigh considerably less. Would love to see him at a "real" 325-330.

Pat Williams seemed to come up bigger today than he has most of the year, but unless he agrees to a very team and cap friendly deal, we may have seen his last game as a Bill.

Edwards may be ready to take the job back he once held. After that, Anderson is unknown and due to lack of PT this year, he may not be an answer. Bannan is a journeyman at best, who maybe should work on becoming a guard anyway.

Oh well, our off-season has just begun. It will be interesting to how it shakes out.

If what we here about Pat wanting to stay in Buffalo we could get him at a bargain price, which is half the battle. It would give us more $s to resign O line and possibly get a new guard.

With the salary cap era it is important to try and take advantage of $ friendly deals and we could easily get that with Pat.

I am afeared that PW might not be back. Again, certainly from the heart, I'd like to see him return, but look at what we have behind him. Edwards is pretty good & also we drafted Anderson (IIRC, our only Dee draft pick) who has seldom even been active. It seems to be TDs MO that he drafts a replacement for a player one yr b4 that player leaves.

If PW comes at a reasonable price, I'd love to have him back, but I think JJ or at least another addition to the OL would be a better expenditure of our cap resources.

All about the price , seeing that Pat Williams has posed no problems, a consistent run stuffer, invovled with community, good tandem with sam adams, if he was to come cheaper then simon..Be rest assured williams will be back next season..he's quite the fan favorite.

190044[/snapback]

Being involved with the community or being a fan favorite is irrelevant. The only thing that matters...is there a better alternative to PW at a cheaper cost. If so, make it happen. If not, get him re-signed.