Wilsonmania

bills44

Hard to say.

One thing I noticed in watching the Seahawks (and I love the talent on their roster) is that their offense seems like a college offense. In spite of my usual attempts to ignore the announcers, I noticed Gruden also talking about how poorly conceived many of their plays seemed to be.

There's two possible explanations for this… one is that they simply have an overly-simple offense and the other one is that the offense has been dumbed down for the rookie quarterback.

At any rate, as much as I'm high on the player, I'll be the first to admit that he hasn't looked very good.

I suspected that maybe some of Wilson's troubles are due to the Seahawks offensive strategists… an oversimplified offense possibly due to caution with a rookie quarterback… and maybe there's some truth to that.

From Warren Moon on Russell Wilson (Moon is a mentor for Wilson so he's clearly in the QBs corner, FWIW):

"He feels that he can do more and handle more than they're giving him. You've got to remember -- Pete's a defensive coach, and he preaches, 'Turnovers, and take care of the football.' He tells his quarterback constantly, 'Don't turn the ball over.' And you become ... frigid about throwing the football, because you're so worried about turning the ball over. Matt Hasselbeck complained about it when he was here, and Tarvaris Jackson was told that constantly last year. He played like a robot, and Russell is starting to do that. They've got to relax on that stuff."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/warren-moon-mentorship-helps-russell-wilson-move-past-043101337--nfl.html

I thought Ron Jaworski made some good points about Wilson as well. Ronnie has good insights and I've always valued his input. The timing aspects that he points out are spot on and after a while defenses can really limit things because anytime a QB rolls out very often, he loses half the field to play with and defenses can flood areas more easily.

I would only add that one of the challenges of having a shorter QB is that it's more difficult for receivers to pick up the ball when he throws from the pocket. Another reason a shorter QB has to move to get better lanes so often.post-1661-0-10191600-1349483047_thumb.jpg