Tom Brady’s Achilles Heel Revealed

Tom Brady’s Achilles Heel….Revealed In His Senior Yearbook Quote?

Why the Buffalo Bills need a grass field

After losing much sleep last night I tried to understand what makes Tom Brady so damn good. There’s no doubt he’s one of the top QBs if not best QB in NFL history. That said Brady is not infallible and even is human if put into the “right” conditions.

Being the statistical guru I am I went with a blank spreadsheet and I hypothesized who, what, when, where, and why does Tom Brady lose? The answer I came up with led me to scour every box score of his 165 games played trying to find “holes” in his game.

Here is what I found:

Tom Brady has been virtually unbeatable on artificial turf fields, winning 64 games while losing only 10 for an astonishing 86.5% winning percentage. On November 14th 2006 after an enduring a sloppy day and defeat to the Jets in Foxboro the Patriots decided to replace their all grass field with FieldTurf. The result? Since November 26th 2006 Brady has won an ungodly 35 wins to only 2 losses at home. In 37 career road games on artificial turf Brady has rolled up an impressive 29 wins to 8 losses.

If Tom Brady has a kryptonite it is grass. Grass may be Brady’s greatest weakness. It is ironic that Tom Brady is quoted in his senior yearbook mentioning the very subject "If you want to play with the big boys, you gotta learn how to play in the tall grass." At home before November 12th 2006, Brady won 34 games to 11 losses, solid but hardly his artificial turf “Superman” self. On the road playing on grass Brady “struggles” by his standards, 27 wins to 18 losses a 60% winning percentage.

The only conclusion one can draw is if the Bills are serious about beating New England they’ll get rid of the “track meet” artificial turf and grow some Kentucky bluegrass like their neighbors down in Cleveland. Not surprisingly the last blowout loss the Patriots endured was in 2010 in Cleveland at the mighty hands of Colt McCoy & Eric Mangini & the crazy Ryan brother as the defensive coordinator.

I am posting the stats linked to Google Docs. https://docs.google....NUtIQktpXzBrVHc

So there you go Russ Brandon, it's time to switch to grass, perhaps this can be negotiated in our next stadium lease. And this is by no means is an insult to the local Buffalo company who invented and installed A Turf Titan.

Edited by BiggieScooby

After losing much sleep last night I tried to understand what makes Tom Brady so damn good. There’s no doubt he’s one of the top QBs if not best QB in NFL history.

Yes there is.

After losing much sleep last night I tried to understand what makes Tom Brady so damn good. There’s no doubt he’s one of the top QBs if not best QB in NFL history. That said Brady is not infallible and even is human if put into the “right” conditions.

Being the statistical guru I am I went with a blank spreadsheet and I hypothesized who, what, when, where, and why does Tom Brady lose? The answer I came up with led me to scour every box score of his 165 games played trying to find “holes” in his game.

Here is what I found:

Tom Brady has been virtually unbeatable on artificial turf fields, winning 64 games while losing only 10 for an astonishing 86.5% winning percentage. On November 14th 2006 after an enduring a sloppy day and defeat to the Jets in Foxboro the Patriots decided to replace their all grass field with FieldTurf. The result? Since November 26th 2006 Brady has won an ungodly 35 wins to only 2 losses at home. In 37 career road games on artificial turf Brady has rolled up an impressive 29 wins to 8 losses.

If Tom Brady has a kryptonite it is grass. Grass may be Brady’s greatest weakness. It is ironic that Tom Brady is quoted in his senior yearbook mentioning the very subject "If you want to play with the big boys, you gotta learn how to play in the tall grass." At home before November 12th 2006, Brady won 34 games to 11 losses, solid but hardly his artificial turf “Superman” self. On the road playing on grass Brady “struggles” by his standards, 27 wins to 18 losses a 60% winning percentage.

The only conclusion one can draw is if the Bills are serious about beating New England they’ll get rid of the “track meet” artificial turf and grow some Kentucky bluegrass like their neighbors down in Cleveland. Not surprisingly the last blowout loss the Patriots endured was in 2010 in Cleveland at the mighty hands of Colt McCoy & Eric Mangini & the crazy Ryan brother as the defensive coordinator.

I am posting the stats linked to Google Docs. https://docs.google....NUtIQktpXzBrVHc

So there you go Russ Brandon, it's time to switch to grass, perhaps this can be negotiated in our next stadium lease. And this is by no means is an insult to the local Buffalo company who invented and installed A Turf Titan.

And wait, you mean to say Brady plays better at home than on the road? Only a 60% win percentage on the road? Yes, it's definitely the playing surface.

Brady's weakness is that he is not able to make more then 3 reads, and any time you get him moving in the pocket he has to reset his entire read system. Anyone can go back and watch the first half of the game.

Our DB's were playing good in the first half and glued to WR's not giving Brady time to get his reads, and when he quickly goes through those he could not find Gronk uncovered. The pocket would move and pressure him a little and he would have to reset. He could not simply keep his eyes down field and move, he had to go through each of his reads again. By then, almost always, our defense was beat deep, out of place, or there was room for Brady to run. His running TD came when he finally settled down in the pocket. If Brady learns to work with a bad OL then this team will get better.

interesting stuff. Nice job!

What amazed me was when Gillete stadium was grass before mid 2006 & playing at Foxboro on grass Brady lost more frequently than on turf. Mind you this is at a time when they won Super Bowls in 3 of 5-1/2 of those seasons. Is it the turf or the man? I say their offense is built for turf. The Bills have beat the Patriots twice at home or 25% of all of Tom Brady's road losses on turf!

I'm telling you it's time for the Bills to go with Kentucky Blue! Let Labatt's name the stadium and call it Labatt Blue Kentucky Blue Stadium.

What amazed me was when Gillete stadium was grass before mid 2006 & playing at Foxboro on grass Brady lost more frequently than on turf. Mind you this is at a time when they won Super Bowls in 3 of 5-1/2 of those seasons. Is it the turf or the man? I say their offense is built for turf. The Bills have beat the Patriots twice at home or 25% of all of Tom Brady's road losses on turf!

I'm telling you it's time for the Bills to go with Kentucky Blue! Let Labatt's name the stadium and call it Labatt Blue Kentucky Blue Stadium.

Kentucky Bluegrass would not do well in that climate, and could likely brown out most of July. KY31, most of your coolgrasses up there would go dormant for the cold months. They'd have to keep the soil 65 degrees.

Brady's weakness is that he is not able to make more then 3 reads, and any time you get him moving in the pocket he has to reset his entire read system. Anyone can go back and watch the first half of the game.

Our DB's were playing good in the first half and glued to WR's not giving Brady time to get his reads, and when he quickly goes through those he could not find Gronk uncovered. The pocket would move and pressure him a little and he would have to reset. He could not simply keep his eyes down field and move, he had to go through each of his reads again. By then, almost always, our defense was beat deep, out of place, or there was room for Brady to run. His running TD came when he finally settled down in the pocket. If Brady learns to work with a bad OL then this team will get better.

Gee, only 3! What a curse, poor guy. I don't know how he has lasted this long.

Kentucky Bluegrass would not do well in that climate, and could likely brown out most of July. KY31, most of your coolgrasses up there would go dormant for the cold months. They'd have to keep the soil 65 degrees.

Cleveland has bluegrass. They have 40 miles of heat coils underground and they are at lake elevation!

Great and interesting stats. But God we have lost our minds as a fan base.

Maybe we should petition the league to play on Saturdays. I hear his stats on Saturdays aren't nearly as good as Sundays.

We've made them our measuring stick, why not go to grass where we up our chances by 18.4%?

Good post Biggie.

There's no question that some players play better on one surface than the other.

What's interesting to me is that I usually associate that phenomenon with non-QBs.

But if you think about it, it makes perfect sense as footwork for QBs is just as important as it is for other positions.

So this is what it's come to... accept the sub-par player/coach performance and change the actual field instead.

F it, I'm in.

We can bury the last 12 seasons under some nice bluegrass. Brady has proven grass is his lone weakness at 27-18 on the road on grass - 18.4% less winning percentage. Is this grasping at straws? Yes. Has turf worked? No. Will grass work? Maybe.

Edited by BiggieScooby