Was TD's trade for Drew a bust?

JP-era

In fairness to TD:

Drew had gone to the superbowl behind an all world coach in Parcells a great D and a good supporting cast. Why would TD think it would be different here?

I think TD felt he was getting a SB quality QB and that he could and would win one if he improved the D and provided Drew with the supporting cast. He did all that and it wasnt until TODAY that any of us REALLY could see that it just wasnt going to work with Drew.

I think whats important is what happens now. Will TD be the "impatient" GM that we hear he is and can Drew? Or will he continue to believe that we still need supporting cast members to get Drew to the SB?

I dont see any way that our GM goes into this offseason, looks at the tapes, grades out Drew, and doesnt see what we all see...he is average at best. Then when he looks over his payroll he hits a 6mil cap fgure next to Drews name and does nothing about it? No way! Drew either takes a BIG cut and probably a demotion to the bench, retires, or hes outta here! My guess is that he reitres when TD tells him to take a cut!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you ask a more obvious question? The "Drew Bledsoe Experiment" was an utter, complete and abject failure. 23-25 and no playoff appearances in three seasons. Bledsoe had 8 good games in 2002, 2 good games in 2003 and 6 average games in 2004. The other 28 times he was horrible. Time to move on.

Could you ask a more obvious question? The "Drew Bledsoe Experiment" was an utter, complete and abject failure. 23-25 and no playoff appearances in three seasons. Bledsoe had 8 good games in 2002, 2 good games in 2003 and 6 average games in 2004. The other 28 times he was horrible. Time to move on.

189918[/snapback]

I'm sure chartered 'Drew Nation' members will think that's harsh, but aside from the fact that he played great vs. Miami this year, that's actually a pretty accurate summary.

189918[/snapback]

And in how many of those 25 losses did he get sacked, fumble, and destroy any chance for a Bills' win?? Seems like all of them.

I am not a fan of this GM's selection of talent. In fact, for every "good" pick you can attribute to TD--whether from the draft or free agency--I'll bet I can name at least one "bad" pick.

189918[/snapback]

and how many club seats were renewed in that time? How many season tickets sold? How many games sold out? From a GM's perspective, "success" is not always entirely measured by on-the-field performance (regardless of how you measure said on-field performance).

In fairness to TD:

Drew had gone to the superbowl behind an all world coach in Parcells a great D and a good supporting cast. Why would TD think it would be different here?

I think TD felt he was getting a SB quality QB and that he could and would win one if he improved the D and provided Drew with the supporting cast. He did all that and it wasnt until TODAY that any of us REALLY could see that it just wasnt going to work with Drew.

I think whats important is what happens now. Will TD be the "impatient" GM that we hear he is and can Drew? Or will he continue to believe that we still need supporting cast members to get Drew to the SB?

I dont see any way that our GM goes into this offseason, looks at the tapes, grades out Drew, and doesnt see what we all see...he is average at best. Then when he looks over his payroll he hits a 6mil cap fgure next to Drews name and does nothing about it? No way! Drew either takes a BIG cut and probably a demotion to the bench, retires, or hes outta here! My guess is that he reitres when TD tells him to take a cut!

189459[/snapback]

Ask the Giants how it feels to be starting a rookie quarterback. Sheesh, get a grip, people.

In fairness to TD:

189459[/snapback]

I think absolutely it can't be considered a success given his failure to lead the team to the playoffs.

I'm also not sure you can call it a total failure either. What were the other options? I can't imagine sticking with RJ or Flutie would have returned better results. Were there other FA QB's that we missed along the way? We'd already missed out on Carr and Harrington from 2002 draft...and even if we'd managed to get Harrington, I'm not sure that I believe he'd have given us better results in the last 3 years either.

I don't think you can really say definitivaly after this season. There's no doubt in my mind it will be decided be the end of next season. Assuming Bledsoe gets another chance, there's certainly no room for error.

I think absolutely it can't be considered a success given his failure to lead the team to the playoffs.

I'm also not sure you can call it a total failure either.  What were the other options?  I can't imagine sticking with RJ or Flutie would have returned better results.  Were there other FA QB's that we missed along the way?  We'd already missed out on Carr and Harrington from 2002 draft...and even if we'd managed to get Harrington, I'm not sure that I believe he'd have given us better results in the last 3 years either.

I don't think you can really say definitivaly after this season.  There's no doubt in my mind it will be decided be the end of next season.  Assuming Bledsoe gets another chance, there's certainly no room for error.

189959[/snapback]

I can put it in very simple terms for TD: If Bledsoe's there, I'm not.

A rookie would have been better. We could have picked 3 of them by now, if we had to.

The perception was that Bledsoe was a playoff caliber QB. The perception was wrong.

I don't buy the DB trade saved the franchise argument at all.

I can put it in very simple terms for TD: If Bledsoe's there, I'm not. 

A rookie would have been better.  We could have picked 3 of them by now, if we had to.

The perception was that Bledsoe was a playoff caliber QB.  The perception was wrong.

I don't buy the DB trade saved the franchise argument at all.

189970[/snapback]

What 3 would you have picked? In 2002 we could have had:

Patrick Ramsey

Josh McCown

David Garrard

In 2003...well not much. Maybe Chris Simms.

Who is it you'd have picked instead? I haven't seen success really from any rookie that would have been available to the Bills.

I wouldn't call it a bust. Given the available alternatives at the time he was the best possible option and an upgrade over RJ and AVP. He put fans in the seats and gave us a good half a season before crashing down to earth.

I think the Bills really need to open up the QB competition in training camp and give JP every opportunity to take the job from Drew.

What 3 would you have picked?  In 2002 we could have had:

Patrick Ramsey

Josh McCown

David Garrard

In 2003...well not much. Maybe Chris Simms.

Who is it you'd have picked instead?  I haven't seen success really from any rookie that would have been available to the Bills.

189977[/snapback]

Not sure of my dates but we could have picked Brees. I would have taken him, for example.

Not sure of my dates but we could have picked Brees.  I would have taken him, for example.

189995[/snapback]

Brees was from 2001 a year prior to Bledsoe and would have meant we'd have lost out on Nate Clements.

I kind of think Bills fans would have run Brees out of town a long time ago...don't forget Brees was pretty awful his first 3 years....I don't know how he turned it on this year, but I doubt he'd have gone 23-25 as bledsoe has.

bledsoe needs to be replaced if we are going anywhere...but i am not looking forward to the 2-steps-backward we'll take when losman takes over. hopefully not too many are deluded into thinking that rothlsdliirenszfidzcxer's success means that you can ride your rookie qb to the superbowl as long as he's drafted in the first round.

189918[/snapback]

Imposible to argue with that take...It is what it is, was what it was...whatever...In the end, Drew has not been the answer to anything except a stop gap option at QB...A mediocre QB for a mediocre Team...A match made in heaven...

Personally I would prefer the Bills simply roll the dice and go with JP in 2005, even though I realize there is no way of telling if he's ready or not... A step backward is actually not much worse than than being teased by the promise of Bledsoe returning this Team to prominence...3 straight Years, 2 Head Coaches, three 1000 yard plus rushing performances, and the last 2 years with Defenses in the Top 5 in the NFL... Yet nothing to show for it...It's time to move on... :doh: