Who's a Bust ??

T master

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Rogers says hello

Nice try, but not nearly the same thing for a few reasons.

The Pack didn't know what Favre was going to do. Every year he played the "I might retire I might come back" game. They had to protect their future and they did so by selecting a QB just in case Favre called it quites.

Rodgers was also picked with a late first round pick, not top 10. Trying to land a franchise QB with the 24th pick in the draft when you're unsure of whether your current QB - who is old and nearing the end - is going to retire isn't the same thing as using the 9th pick of the draft at a RB position where you're already set for years (on a team with holes everywhere BUT RB.)

He's not a backup and he's not an insurance policy. The 1-back offense is nearly dead - it's too much punishment to hang on one player. I'm not a fan of drafting RB's early, but if you are still sitting here today claiming Spiller was a bad #1 pick you are insane. McCargo was a bad pick. Maybin was a bad pick. Spiller?

Not a backup or insurance policy? What games have you been watching? Last year Spiller never got more than 5 carries in games that Jackson was healthy. In his rookie campaign he never got more than 9 carries in a game (and he averaged less than 5.)

How is that not a backup or insurance policy?

People have this idea that NOW Spiller is the starter and will get the bulk of the load - I don't see it. Even with Jackson out of the lineup at the end of last year and early this year Spiller has averaged only 14 carries a game (compare that to Jackson's 19 carries a game.) With Jackson back I'd imagine Spiller's carries will be in the 9-10 range with Jackson still getting most of the load with 15 or so.

As for the bad pick claim - yeah, it wasn't a good one. It doesn't mean he's a bad player, he's not, he has the potential to be very good. But very good sitting on the bench or splitting time with a guy who was already on the team when they drafted him isn't good enough for the 9th pick in the draft - at least not Imo.

Edited by MDH

The pick seemed weird to me at the itme but I never proclimed him a bust, and I understood and accepted Nix's mindset for drafting him.. I agreed with dumping Marshawn... I agree with the mentality of only keeping and signing players that can stay out of trouble

Edited by shibuya

You got me thinking. My FF team is struggling, so I am willing to gamble. Would you do this? (and would the other party do it?)

Giving up Arian Foster and Greg Jennings

Getting CJ Spiller and Roddy White

I wouldn't do that trade from your perspective. It would have to be a knock your socks off trade to part with foster. Jennings has been hurt and I wouldn't mind parting with him if I were you but not this deal. Just my 2 cents tho and thanks for answering on mine!

Not me. I was happy with the pick the moment I heard he was the likely pick. He could be the best RB in football. He's definitely the most dangerous.

I don't think anyone hated CJ, just the idea of drafting another RB at the time when we had 2 good RBs already on the team. Everyone wanted someone to come in right away and make an Impact since we were such a bad team for so long. Unless he came in and made an impact right away, there was no way anyone in Buffalo was gonna be happy with that pick...

I wouldn't do that trade from your perspective. It would have to be a knock your socks off trade to part with foster. Jennings has been hurt and I wouldn't mind parting with him if I were you but not this deal. Just my 2 cents tho and thanks for answering on mine!

Thanks for your thoughts, and they make sense. It would be a huge gamble to unload pretty much the most consistent FF player around in Foster.

Not a backup or insurance policy? What games have you been watching? Last year Spiller never got more than 5 carries in games that Jackson was healthy. In his rookie campaign he never got more than 9 carries in a game (and he averaged less than 5.)

How is that not a backup or insurance policy?

I consider players like Tavaris Jackson to be a backup and Thigpen to be an insurance policy - players that never go in unless there is an injury. Spiller shares time with Jackson. Now that percentage is going to vary based on performance - maybe 50/50, 66/33, 25/75, whatever. My point is our coaches use a 2-back system to alleviate the beating a single RB takes running the ball 25 times a game. When both guys are healthy you know there is going to be a debate on these boards over who should be the "starter." Well the "starter" in this case is simply who takes the first snap. They both are going to see time depending on who is more effective that particular day.

For all those people saying, "you draft the best player available" that player does no good if he can't get on the field because the guy in front of him is better. I'd rather have had a guy who wasn't quite as good as Spiller but was better than what the Bills already had at that position and he saw the field from day one and helped the Bills improve as a team.

Just curious, who did you want the Bills to pick when they picked Spiller?

Ok, I'll play.

Ryan Matthews signed a 5 year deal at $20 million. He has produced 2,445 yards for his team (1,813 rushing, 632 receiving). $3,681 a yard.

Jahvid Best signed a 5 year deal, $12.7 million. He has produced 1,719 yards (945 rushing, 774 receiving). $3,324 a yard.

Dexter McCluster signed a 4 year deal at $5.15 million. He has produced 1,271 yards (679 rushing, 592 receiving). $2,277 a yard.

Looks like around $3,000 a yard is the going rate in Spiller's class.

Spiller has produced 1,692 yards (1,152 rushing, 540 receiving). That's $6,648 a yard.

As for my guess at his finishing the 5 years with 4,000 yards rushing, 2,000 yards receiving, fine. Let's see your estimate.

By my calculation, for his productivity to the team to come in at $3,000 a yard over his contract, he needs to finish with 8,000 yards. 6,300 yards in the remaining 2 3/4 seasons is quite a pace.

Well now we're onto something.

BTW, did you know Erik Pears gets more pancake blocks per dollar than Eric Wood?

Next question: How many NFL GMs would rather have any or all of the other three players than CJ Spiller… at their current levels of compensation?

hint: The answer is NONE.

Just curious, who did you want the Bills to pick when they picked Spiller?

Well now we're onto something.

BTW, did you know Erik Pears gets more pancake blocks per dollar than Eric Wood?

Next question: How many NFL GMs would rather have any or all of the other three players than CJ Spiller… at their current levels of compensation?

hint: The answer is NONE.

On the contrary, I think many if not most franchises have gone in the direction of cheaper expendible running backs, and spending their money elsewhere. And when they do draft them, they expect an immediate impact.

My beef isn't with CJ Spiller, it's with the idea that you use a high draft pick - who is yours for a finite period of time - when you know that part of that time will be unproductive. It means the remaining time has to be exceptional just to average things out to a good return on the pick. For the Bills, this goes beyond Spiller. Willis McGahee should never have been drafted that high, knowing that at least one of his four years was going to be spent injured.

On the contrary, I think many if not most franchises have gone in the direction of cheaper expendible running backs, and spending their money elsewhere. And when they do draft them, they expect an immediate impact.

That's true only to the point where the runners are used conventionally.

I think the trend to a multi-back system has more to do with not putting all your eggs in one basket, running back durability issues, the ability to present different looks, and other considerations than it does money… you're not really saving much money when you have more people playing prominent roles on the team.

And your point ignores the fact that there are some players who are huge difference makers and provide a major threat when they are on the field… players who the opposing defense actually have to game plan around.

Spiller is one of these. Darren McFadden, Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Maurice Jones-Drew, Reggie Bush are others. These guys are home run hitters who fundamentally change the way the defense plays.

As quality as guys like Michael Turner, DeAngelo Williams, Benjarvus Green-Ellis are, they are not players which opposing teams have to spend much time worrying about. While better than average, they are ultimately "just another running back" from a strategic standpoint.

p.s.- Look how much money Carolina has tied up in DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, and Mike Tolbert.

Three very good backs and arguably not a difference maker among them.