WGR Online Torture!

Stormin Norman

For us die-hard Buffalo sports fans who live out of state and listen to WGR sports coverage online, we are subject to a bludgeoning of "Ad Council" radio spots during every freakin' commercial break! As if it isn't bad enough to listen to Mike Schopp's psychotic refusal to acknowledge the friendly listener who innocently says, "Hey, how are you guys?", we're subject to a barrage of advertisements from every government agency and government-funded agency (ending in '.org') known to man.

Are there no companies willing to pay for online advertising on this radio station? I thought it would get better once WGR landed the Bills, but it has gotten worse. I never thought I'd pine for regular radio commercials, but, please, can someone with authority at the station stop the repetitive, nauseating public service announcements? Radio silence would be preferable! Am I the only one suffering through this online nightmare?

For us die-hard Buffalo sports fans who live out of state and listen to WGR sports coverage online, we are subject to a bludgeoning of "Ad Council" radio spots during every freakin' commercial break! As if it isn't bad enough to listen to Mike Schopp's psychotic refusal to acknowledge the friendly listener who innocently says, "Hey, how are you guys?", we're subject to a barrage of advertisements from every government agency and government-funded agency (ending in '.org') known to man.

Are there no companies willing to pay for online advertising on this radio station? I thought it would get better once WGR landed the Bills, but it has gotten worse. I never thought I'd pine for regular radio commercials, but, please, can someone with authority at the station stop the repetitive, nauseating public service announcements? Radio silence would be preferable! Am I the only one suffering through this online nightmare?

I never listen to the postgame, so am spared that torment... but am also amazed at the number of PSAs during the game broadcast. Someone needs to hire a sales force!

As another out of towner I really appreciate getting to hear Buffalo sports radio at the click of a button, but there really is a VERY short list of commercials they play. Let's see:

- McGruff the Crime Dog talks a 12-yar old girl into the proper way of dealing with cyberbullying (delete it, don't forward it)

- Respected access for offroad vehicles - use those detailed maps so offroad vehicles "and others" can enjoy those beautiful backcountry landscapes

- Keep yourself safe at work (report any strange behavior, check ID tags, etc)

How is GR making any money?

As another out of towner I really appreciate getting to hear Buffalo sports radio at the click of a button, but there really is a VERY short list of commercials they play. Let's see:

- McGruff the Crime Dog talks a 12-yar old girl into the proper way of dealing with cyberbullying (delete it, don't forward it)

- Respected access for offroad vehicles - use those detailed maps so offroad vehicles "and others" can enjoy those beautiful backcountry landscapes

I think you put your finger on it, Billnut. They aren't.

You forgot the PSA for foster parenting about the spray that makes you cool as a parent and the one for mortgage help with the satanic mortgage help guy.......

Just you recapping some of them makes me want to throw my Xoom out the window! By the way, you forgot to submit yourself to galactic domination.

You forgot the PSA for foster parenting about the spray that makes you cool as a parent and the one for mortgage help with the satanic mortgage help guy.......

Holy crap does that one suck. I want to jam a pencil in my ear every time I hear.

They are still selling 2011 cars at Mullane Motors...at least they are still running ads for 2011 Chryslers.

I will say this about callers who say "How you doin'?" If you call a radio station, just jump right into what you have to say. Does the host has to say he's fine every time he takes a call? Also DON"T listen to the radio if you are waiting on hold!! There is usually a :15-20 second delay. How many times do we hear "...let's go to Mike (silence) Mike, are you there? (hello?) Go ahead, Mike. (Am I on the air?) Yes, Mike. Go ahead. (hello?)" Mike is listening to the radio feed and doesn't get there is a delay.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Oh goodie...another "GR sucks" thread!!!

Crying about commercials now! If you listen to commercial radio, any station, anywhere, no matter the format, you will hear the same commercials over and over...it is just the way it is....when did "Bills Nation" transform into "Baby Nation"

I do agree the post-game show is pretty bad...but when have they ever been good?

Don't forget about that Fanny Pack - "Hip MP3 Player" or those Hot Pink Shutter Shades - "Hey I cant see... But your Kids can see you"

Whatever commercial they want to air is fine with me. I take issue with two things:

1. Locking the volume during commercials through the web.

2. Letting commercials blast out at a higher volume. An annoyingly higher volume.

I dont have those issues using Tune In. Funny I never thought the ads were different than on the radio. And for the complainers, the laugh from the mortgage guy sounds like Sideshow Bob and I want to get a ringtone of that lol.

dont forget the one that hypes the all new 2011 Dodge piece of crap car.

Those commercials cost about $1 a piece. You could literally afford to break up the monotony yourself.

Don't forget about that Fanny Pack - "Hip MP3 Player" or those Hot Pink Shutter Shades - "Hey I cant see... But your Kids can see you"

LOL "Fashion On". Glad I'm not the only one getting beaten into submission by these commercials.

Crying about commercials now! If you listen to commercial radio, any station, anywhere, no matter the format, you will hear the same commercials over and over...it is just the way it is....

True, but other stations re-run about 30 different commercials. GR's stable of commercials consists of about 5. I think we've named them all.

haha at the very least, we are all proving that the commericials work!

the mysterious ad-counsels are sure getting their money's worth

the one with the children using large words is pretty repetitive...

Duty! Freedom! Country!

Many speak about these ideals, but without action they are just empty words

I dont have those issues using Tune In. Funny I never thought the ads were different than on the radio. And for the complainers, the laugh from the mortgage guy sounds like Sideshow Bob and I want to get a ringtone of that lol.

I'll have to try out tunein. I use the player directly from their web page.

Edited by jeremy2020

I understand everyone's disdain for WGR personalities but if I was asked how I was doing 25 times everyday I might get a little annoyed as well.

You don't get greeted 25 times a day? Hey, how ya doing? What's up? Hi................They are all the same, you say good or Hi and move on. Schoop claims that people change the station in the time he takes him to say Hi. Are you friggin kidding me.

You work on a phone, you say hello or how ya doing 100 times a day.

And, nobody gives a !@#$ how you or Schopp are doing. It's just a salutation.

bbb is so right. listen to Steve Somers take a call on WFAN. "Hey Steve, how ya doing?" "Fine and thank you for taking the time and go right ahead.." The fact that Schoop thinks this wastes valuable time and takes away from the electric discourse that's sure to follow on his end is laughable. So glad I haven't listened to GR in months.

LMAO at "Schoop thinks this wastes valuable time and takes away from the electric discourse that's sure to follow"

Somebody asked him this on twitter today, and this is what he replied. Seriously, nobody even noticed a quick "How are ya - Good" They only notice when you get annoyed!:

Matt@BrahmaBull41

@Schopptalk @mikeroesser @salsports do you get in **** from your superiors for how annoyed you get when asked how youre doing? #curious

12h d275209b1138d378438e02d7df652204_normal.jpegMike Schopp@Schopptalk

@BrahmaBull41 No. Many radio shows won't even permit the question. It's boring and it lasts just long enough for people to change stations.

Matt@BrahmaBull41

@Schopptalk agreed. I think people use it as an ice breaker because the are nervous. How do radio stations not allow it? Just drop the call?

13h d275209b1138d378438e02d7df652204_normal.jpegMike Schopp@Schopptalk

.@BrahmaBull41 It varies. ESPN producers asks callers not to ask. Some hosts open with leading questions. Lebatard hangs up you, I'm told.