Upon reflection: Reasons for the Stinkfest

I went back through the game (yay for Tivo) to try to get a better handle on the debacle that was today. Drew was terrible and played a big role in the loss, but by no means was he the sole cause. Here are my quick thoughts:

1. Special Teams: They didn't show up today. The Bills' STs had been great all year, but today they were terrible. Lindell missed a kick, the KO coverage was pourous, and even the mighty Brian Moorman was really poor today. This resulted in GREAT field position for the Steelers all afternoon. This killed the Bills, especially in the first half.

2. Drew. He was off all afternoon. But after watching the film I couldn't determine if it was all him or also the coaching staff (more on them in a second). Regardless of the gameplan, he did little to exicute it well. His pick in the first half was a terrible decision and he took a couple bad sacks.

3. Defense. They got the shaft in the first half with poor field position. And yes, they were on the field a ton. But it makes no difference how long the D was on the field, the Steelers ran all over the Bills great front 7. To allow over 100 yards to a third stringer is inexcusable for a top Defense (which the Bills are). Heck, they made the kid look like Gale Sayers out there.

4. Coaching: The offensive gameplan was atrocious today. Not ONCE was there a downfield route called for a WR until the end of the game. Their plan was to attack underneath the defense which is fine, but you must take a shot. This kind of gameplan killed the Bills in Oakland and vs Jacksonville. The apparently did not learn from their mistakes.

So where do we go from here? First we all have to calm down and reflect on the good season the Bills had. It's the first winning season in 4 years. That is saying something considering the hole the team dug for themselves.

The Bills have the right staff in place and a very talented roster. Let's just hope for another good draft and FA period and the Bills should be playoff bound next season. I know it hurts to get this close and not make it, but it could have been worse...we could be the Dolphins. 0:)

It's the insightful ones that no one can argue with that get all the responses and stay on the first page forever.

One time I really feel they should have taken a downfield shot was when Pitt got a 5 yrd penalty, we had 1st and 5. Instead, we gave it to McGahee for a 5 yrd gain. 0:)

Couldn't agree more on the coaching.  Drew was bad, but the game plan didn't help at all.

189278[/snapback]

Yeah, it was mind boggling. But I didn't really notice until I watched the tape.

I'm not giving Drew a pass by any means, just saying the gameplan didn't help mask his weaknesses.

Good points.

189288[/snapback]

You can also add penalties to the list.

All in all, the entire team came up short today - offense, defense & special teams.

I don't know if it was commented on but I felt that the Bills should have went for it on 4th and 5 or 6 just before the 9 minute drive. At that time of the game, it is a two possession lead and if the Bills punted they have at most three, but more likely two possessions left in the whole game.

You can also add penalties to the list.

All in all, the entire team came up short today - offense, defense & special teams.

I don't know if it was commented on but I felt that the Bills should have went for it on 4th and 5 or 6 just before the 9 minute drive.  At that time of the game, it is a two possession lead and if the Bills punted they have at most three, but more likely two possessions left in the whole game.

189314[/snapback]

The penalties were bad, but some of them were dubious calls. Still, I didn't think any really impacted the outcome (save for the Josh Reed pick perhaps).

I'm not sure if this is the fourth down you mean, but I know on the one before Lindell's missed kick there was a feeling that they should go for it (although the safe play was to build a 4 point lead) but Willis was on the sideline with a stinger so it limited their options. Thus the call for Lindell to kick.

One time I really feel they should have taken a downfield shot was when Pitt got a 5 yrd penalty, we had 1st and 5. Instead, we gave it to McGahee for a 5 yrd gain.  :doh:

189285[/snapback]

I agree. After looking at the tape it's crazy how the Steelers played D. They put 8 in the box all day and rolled a safety over to Moulds. Evans was 1 on 1 the entire day but never once did he run a route deeper than 10 yards (until the bomb in the 4th quarter).

The penalties were bad, but some of them were dubious calls. Still, I didn't think any really impacted the outcome (save for the Josh Reed pick perhaps).

I'm not sure if this is the fourth down you mean, but I know on the one before Lindell's missed kick there was a feeling that they should go for it (although the safe play was to build a 4 point lead) but Willis was on the sideline with a stinger so it limited their options. Thus the call for Lindell to kick.

189344[/snapback]

No, I'm referring to later in the game with about 11 minutes left in the fourth quarter. It was right after the aborted 3rd and 1 play with Shaud Williams. It would have been gutsy, but we were down 9 points at the time, and time was running out.

No, I'm referring to later in the game with about 11 minutes left in the fourth quarter.  It was right after the aborted 3rd and 1 play with Shaud Williams.  It would have been gutsy, but we were down 9 points at the time, and time was running out.

189526[/snapback]

Oh, alright. I know what you are talking about now.

Yeah, it would have been gutsy, but I'm not sure. At the time it was the right call...of course had we known the Steelers were going to chew up 9 plus minutes of clock, then I think MM would have gone for it in a heart beat.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

This just sucks.

Good post. It's too bad so many people just focus on one aspect of the loss simply to ensure that they're right.

189559[/snapback]

Thanks

I agree with what you're saying. This loss sucked from top to bottom. It wasn't just one facet, it was the whole team. Only beer will make the pain go away! Too bad I gave up drinking :doh:

All that being said, there is still a lot of positives to take from this season. I look forward to next year.

It was quite curious as to why there was no attempt at long passing plays until the end. Everyone seems to be stuck on the field goal decision. Sorry, but going for the field goal was the right decision at the time. I think the injuries to our TE's might have caught up to us today. Lots of 8 in the box action going on without much neutralizing of it.

It was quite curious as to why there was no attempt at long passing plays until the end.  Everyone seems to be stuck on the field goal decision.  Sorry, but going for the field goal was the right decision at the time.  I think the  injuries to our TE's might have caught up to us today.  Lots of 8 in the box action going on without much neutralizing of it.

189684[/snapback]

In the post game interview, Drew said that the gameplan called for short, underneath passing to take advantage of their zone blitzes. That's all well and good, but you have to open it up to at least let the other team know you are capable of doing it.

Especially with only one safety playing coverage during the game.

Drew was bad, but so was the offensive gameplan. It was more apparent on the second viewing.

4. Coaching: The offensive gameplan was atrocious today. Not ONCE was there a downfield route called for a WR until the end of the game. Their plan was to attack underneath the defense which is fine, but you must take a shot. This kind of gameplan killed the Bills in Oakland and vs Jacksonville. The apparently did not learn from their mistakes.

189217[/snapback]

I seldom get to watch the Bills (just twice this season - NE debacle and slap-down of Cincy), but if that's the kind of gameplan they ran, Matthews might have been a better choice.

I seldom get to watch the Bills (just twice this season - NE debacle and slap-down of Cincy), but if that's the kind of gameplan they ran, Matthews might have been a better choice.

189714[/snapback]

I just don't understand why they shifted philosophy for this game when for the past 6 weeks it had been working so well. Even when the offense stuttered they still took shots down field.

But this week they were afraid. And it wasn't windy, or at least windy enough to really affect the gameplan.

I think MM and Clements just out-thunk (what a word) themselves against their old mates.

great post, yes the game plan was poor...we got away from what had won us 6 in a row running, throwin some deep balls, and a trick play or 2, and then bledsoe decides to have another one of his all too common bad games...just very disappointing...