All-22 Coaches Film -- Analysis of Fitz Week Two

eball

*bows*

I'm not sure quite what you mean by "same transformation as the Bills at the same time"? Can you expand a bit?

Just meant that these 3 franchises all started a new regime contemporaneously. It will be interesting to see where each of them is at the end of the season, after the 3 years.

As far as the "win now" bits of this thread, I'd add that many coaches around the NFL believe that if "win now" isn't their mindset going in, then they are just coaching players for the next regime. NFL owners, as a collective, have shown that tolerance of futility is in short supply.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just meant that these 3 franchises all started a new regime contemporaneously. It will be interesting to see where each of them is at the end of the season, after the 3 years.

With all respect and not wishing to drift further from the thread topic, I think the 3 franchises may have started from a different places.

One could also add the Rams, sadly

With all respect and not wishing to drift further from the thread topic, I think the 3 franchises (Bills, Redskins, Seahawks) may have started from a different places across the board (offense, defense).

The biggest mistakes made by the Bills, IMHO, was not staying with 1 QB but rather the ill-advised 4-3 to 3-4 transition.

Wow, it's an interesting topic. I could get going on it. I'd start a thread on it but I'm afraid it would devolve into the "Fitz sucks" theme championed by TBD's own Knights Templars.

With all respect and not wishing to drift further from the thread topic, I think the 3 franchises may have started from a different places.

One could also add the Rams, sadly

Of course, the exact circumstances and details were different. The 3 franchises ended 09 with 4,5,6 wins, so they were in rough-speaking terms equally bad before their current regimes were hired. But clearly the situations were different. One small example is that Mike Shanahan actually went to Washington to meet with the Redskins brass.

FWIW, the Rams don't fit what I intended as they gutted their front office and coaching staff this past off-season.

Anyway, let's take it to PM if you want. ;)

Brady does, actually, from time to time. He can often be seen chewing the ears of his targets on the sideline afterwards, sometimes blaming "tips" in the presser, and sometimes I've heard him say "that was a bad throw". I've also seen him stewing alone on the sidelines, obviously ticked at himself.

Think about it peeps. A league-leading, elite QB completion percentage is 66%. Brady last year was 65.6%, #4 in the NFL.

That means 1/3 of the time when a league-leading, elite QB drops back to pass, the throw does not result in a completion. Sometimes it's dropped, sometimes it's thrown away, sometimes it's tipped, sometimes it's a bad throw, and yes, Brady has passes that look like easy throws, and result in incompletions.

Let's shift frame and look at this another way. The QB whose teams were in the playoffs last year were named Manning, Brady, Smith, Flacco, Rodgers, TJ Yates, Tebow, and Brees.

Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Manning are year-after-year elite QB.

Yates is a 3rd string rookie who didn't throw enough to be ranked last year - 61% completion in a limited dataset

Tebow had a completion percentage of 46.5% in 2011.

Flacco had a completion percentage of 57.6% in 2011. Lifetime he's 60.8%

Smith had a completion percentage of 61.3% in 2011. Lifetime he's 58.4%

Lifetime Fitzy is 59%.

Different folks can make different things of that. What I make of it:

1) all this talk about Fitz holding us back, keeping us from being playoff contenders, is so much BS. Teams make it to the playoffs with worse QBs all the time. The Bills, as a team, will make the playoffs if the Bills, as a team, play well enough to make the playoffs. Yeah, Fitz sucked in Game 1 but so did the D, big time, and the ST contributed their part to the suckage. Fitz sucks but the rest of the team mans up, maybe the outcome differs.

2) the key difference between Fitz at the end of last season and week 1, vs these playoff QB, is turnovers. Every single one of those guys had a way lower INT percentage last year than Fitz.

3) therefore, any game where Fitz throws 0 INTs and 0 fumbles should be considered playing well, and any game where he commits more than 1 turnover should be considered playing poorly, even if he throws 75% completions for 400 yds with half of them 50 yd throws. In 2010, Manning threw 25 INTs. Despite his 63% completion and his >4000 yds passing, the Giants went home in January.

[i hold other players to the same standard - if CJ has 200 combined yards from scrimmage but commits key turnovers, he can't be said to have a "great game" in my book]

Back to you, sports fans.

Yes, Brady has missed an easy throw in his life. But he doesn't miss them very often and certainly doesn't miss them as often as fitz and other QBs do.

You're playoff analysis of the QBs is fine, but there are a couple of issues.

1) All of the "bad" QBs that made the playoffs had elite defenses behind them. The bills at this point, do not.

2) Bad QBs may make the playoffs, but they very rarely win superbowls. The goal of any team should be to win the championship.. Not just make it to the dance.

So you are saying Fitz needs to be perfect? Fitz isn't perfect, and now I understand why he is ragged on so much. Man, I guess if the Bills had one of those perfect QBs they would win and everyone would be happy.

When any NFL team finds a perfect QB please let me know.

never once said we need a perfect QB... I like fitz but he is not a good QB, and your evaluation with the 3 bad throws is wrong, his TD pass to Stevie was a bad throw, low and behind him. You might be ok the way our recieving corps was dismantled due to injuries last year, Fitz's erratic throws eliminates the ability for our reciever to protect themselves, He is an NFL QB and he should be able to put the ball on the numbers 75% of the time.

It was a rhetorical question. Anyway, the point remains that teams who don't find their franchise QB early in a rebuild aren't truly rebuilding. Good enough?

Not everyone convinces themselves this team is on the right path after a 1-1 start. If that's something you don't like, well, sorry. Blind homerism isn't a mindset everyone shares.

Please point to evidence of my "blindness." Happy searching.