Why Fitz's first INT represents him as a QB

jonramz

Kind of splitting hairs here but I think the 2nd INT was a little better representation of who Fitz is as a QB than the 1st one was…an inaccurate pass that was behind an open receiver. His accuracy issues are what caused him to throw so many INTs last season. With the 1st INT, I believe that he was late with the throw and that caused the INT. I don’t know if he was late with his read (it didn’t look that way to me on Sunday) or if his timing was just off. Either way, he’s been around long enough to know he doesn’t have the arm strength to throw late to the outside.

The 1st and 3rd INTs were just bad decisions and he usually doesn’t make too many of those. Also, I don’t consider trying to fit a pass into coverage when we’re down by a lot, basically just trying to make something happen a bad decision.

So I guess you know him to a T. You must be at every practice, OTA, film meeting, game plan meeting, training camp, etc. Wish I had that much time to spare. I'm glad you have him all figured out and were able to let us here at TBD know. Thank You.

Wow, why the sarcasm? I will illustrating a couple points with an example from week 1 that shows his strengths and limitations... not quite sure why you would react like that.

Kind of splitting hairs here but I think the 2nd INT was a little better representation of who Fitz is as a QB than the 1st one was…an inaccurate pass that was behind an open receiver. His accuracy issues are what caused him to throw so many INTs last season. With the 1st INT, I believe that he was late with the throw and that caused the INT. I don’t know if he was late with his read (it didn’t look that way to me on Sunday) or if his timing was just off. Either way, he’s been around long enough to know he doesn’t have the arm strength to throw late to the outside.

The 1st and 3rd INTs were just bad decisions and he usually doesn’t make too many of those. Also, I don’t consider trying to fit a pass into coverage when we’re down by a lot, basically just trying to make something happen a bad decision.

The 2nd INT was a good example as well... the reason why I used the 1st one was because the read was more difficult. When I saw the game live and I agreed with you that his throw was late. But after watching the play more and more, a throw from the far hash to the far sideline needs to be on a line, unfortunately, only a few QB's can make that throw.

On one of those it looked as if the receiver curled the wrong direction in his route, which was a timing route. He had to get to the spot. I think the 3rd one was a similar issue as well. The second one was under thrown for sure.

Are you saying Johnson turned the wrong way on the route? That is hard to tell without knowing the exact play call... if one of the players said that post-game I must have missed it.

Thanks,

-Jon

Wow, why the sarcasm? I will illustrating a couple points with an example from week 1 that shows his strengths and limitations... not quite sure why you would react like that.

The 2nd INT was a good example as well... the reason why I used the 1st one was because the read was more difficult. When I saw the game live and I agreed with you that his throw was late. But after watching the play more and more, a throw from the far hash to the far sideline needs to be on a line, unfortunately, only a few QB's can make that throw.

Are you saying Johnson turned the wrong way on the route? That is hard to tell without knowing the exact play call... if one of the players said that post-game I must have missed it.

Thanks,

-Jon

...and this comment is exactly why nobody knows what is really going on within the team and everybody is just speculating, and not actually knowing.

Edited by FreakPop

I am 67, and I learned a long time ago......you are never really as good as you look on your best day, and not as bad as you look on your worst day. Fitz had a worst day...there will be better days.

This^^^

When we have a bad day we're the worst team ever, when we have a great day we're SB bound. I was just as disappointed in the game on Sunday as anyone else, however after a couple of days to reflect I realize that we just played poorly against a team we underrated in their home stadium. There will be better days this season and while I'm not sure if we are a playoff team or not yet, I do think we are better than we looked against the Jets.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

His first pick was picked because it was thrown late, not because the ball wasn't in the right place.

Albeit he coulda gotten it there if he had an arm like Farve or Vick or Cutler, but his smarts is what lacked on that thrown, not arm strength or accuracy.

Basically his first pick represents all the good and bad things about him as a QB.

Guy is smart enough to make the correct read but just doesnt have the physical tools to get the ball to where it needed to be.

More in-depth analysis at the link below.

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=107

-Jon

You could see that Johnson was open when Fitz made the throw. The problem is the ball floats in. Fitz can't throw hard enough to zip the ball to a receiver. Elite CBs like Revis can recover and make a play in the time it takes the ball to leave Fitz's hand to reach his target.

PTR

Thanks,

-Jon

Every QB in the league needs to be able to demonstrate the long out from the far hash without a hitch or he won't even be invited to camp. Every QB in the league can make this throw.

Fitz's read on that INT wasn't difficult. SJ was his primary all the way. It was a play we had a lot of success with against Revis and the Jets last season. And it messed with Revis a little bit because they set him up later in the game for a double move off of that same route.

The problem with that throw on Sunday was that Fitz not only double-hitched it, he triple hitched it just like Gannon said. The throw was late because Fitz threw it late, not because he lacked the arm strength to get it there.

Personally, I think Fitz looks a bit preoccupied with his new found 'mechanics' than anything else.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

You could see that Johnson was open when Fitz made the throw. The problem is the ball floats in. Fitz can't throw hard enough to zip the ball to a receiver. Elite CBs like Revis can recover and make a play in the time it takes the ball to leave Fitz's hand to reach his target.

PTR

this is exactly what I saw

Every QB in the league needs to be able to demonstrate the long out from the far hash without a hitch or he won't even be invited to camp. Every QB in the league can make this throw.

Fitz's read on that INT wasn't difficult. SJ was his primary all the way. It was a play we had a lot of success with against Revis and the Jets last season. And it messed with Revis a little bit because they set him up later in the game for a double move off of that same route.

The problem with that throw on Sunday was that Fitz not only double-hitched it, he triple hitched it just like Gannon said. The throw was late because Fitz threw it late, not because he lacked the arm strength to get it there.

Personally, I think Fitz looks a bit preoccupied with his new found 'mechanics' than anything else.

GO BILLS!!!

The problem is that he can't throw that ball like a Cutler/Stafford or even RGIII can. The route was a simple comeback, if Revis is in man coverage, then it doesn't need to be "on a rope" as much because he back is to the QB. However when Revis is sitting back in a zone 15 yards off the line of scrimmage, the ball needs to be on a rope because anything less than that gives Revis enough time to make a break on the ball, when he can sit back and read the QB

I just want to quickly add, that I don't think Fitz is a bad QB by any means, I think he is an average starting QB in the NFL

-Jon

Edited by jonramz

So I guess you know him to a T. You must be at every practice, OTA, film meeting, game plan meeting, training camp, etc. Wish I had that much time to spare. I'm glad you have him all figured out and were able to let us here at TBD know. Thank You.

The next time you express an opinion about something football-related, remind me to respond exactly like you have above.

Don't forget that on the second, he was pressured, and the DB made a great play on the ball. If the teams were reversed on that play, we'd be talking about how Byrd made a great play after the front four got enough pressure on Sanchez to force the poor pass.

this is exactly what I saw

The problem is that he can't throw that ball like a Cutler/Stafford or even RGIII can. The route was a simple comeback, if Revis is in man coverage, then it doesn't need to be "on a rope" as much because he back is to the QB. However when Revis is sitting back in a zone 15 yards off the line of scrimmage, the ball needs to be on a rope because anything less than that gives Revis enough time to make a break on the ball, when he can sit back and read the QB

I just want to quickly add, that I don't think Fitz is a bad QB by any means, I think he is an average starting QB in the NFL

-Jon

Saying he doesn't throw it like three of the strongest arms in the league is NOT the same as saying he can't throw it. I can forgive Fitz for not having Cutler's arm the same way I can forgive Frank Reich for not having Jim Kelly's.

More than on a rope, the ball needs to be there on time. Fitz's three hitch delivery prevented that, not his arm strength. He's made the same throw many times with success. I am not worried at all about his ability to hit a long out from the far hash. Fitz's biggest problem is that he needs a bit more of a wind up to get maximum zip and that makes many of his throws late and inaccurate.

I think we both can agree that there's a difference between being a good QB and a passer with a strong arm. JP Losman is an example of a strong arm. I've seen him make that throw on time while back pedaling. Not too many guys have the arm to do that. But he is a far cry from being a QB.

GO BILLS!!!

I am 67, and I learned a long time ago......you are never really as good as you look on your best day, and not as bad as you look on your worst day. Fitz had a worst day...there will be better days.

Thank you for the smart and level headed response. There seems to be far too few of these around these days.

I agree with the bolded. Throwing inaccurate, difficult-to-catch passes (2nd INT) has been a much bigger issue for him than getting his timing wrong (first INT).

Saying he doesn't throw it like three of the strongest arms in the league is NOT the same as saying he can't throw it. I can forgive Fitz for not having Cutler's arm the same way I can forgive Frank Reich for not having Jim Kelly's.

More than on a rope, the ball needs to be there on time. Fitz's three hitch delivery prevented that, not his arm strength. He's made the same throw many times with success. I am not worried at all about his ability to hit a long out from the far hash. Fitz's biggest problem is that he needs a bit more of a wind up to get maximum zip and that makes many of his throws late and inaccurate.

I think we both can agree that there's a difference between being a good QB and a passer with a strong arm. JP Losman is an example of a strong arm. I've seen him make that throw on time while back pedaling. Not too many guys have the arm to do that. But he is a far cry from being a QB.

GO BILLS!!!

I totally understand the point you are making and against man coverage I think it is a throw he can make. But when someone is sitting in a zone reading the QB/WR, it doesn't matter when he throws it, the time given to Revis to react would still be the same.

The next time you express an opinion about something football-related, remind me to respond exactly like you have above.

I don't see it as stating an opinion. I read it as the OP has stated it as factual because he has seemed to figure the game of football and Fitz out. But thanks for playing, Trent's muscle!