Postgame Analysis: Turning Point

Tolstoy

There were many mistakes today, by defense, offense, and special teams. However, in my opinion, the turning point of the game was the missed field goal by Lindell. Why? It was an 8 minute drive by the Bills, already up 1 point. If they make that field goal, the put the pressure on the Steelers, who were already working with backup QB's. And the crowd would have smelled the victory, at that point.

Instead, because of the missed field goal, the Bills defense come off the bench cold (having sat there for the long drive), and gave up a huge play to the Steelers, who go on to score a field goal.

Bledsoe now feels the pressure, as we are down by two points, and starts hanging on to the ball too long. Result: forced fumble and Steeler's score.

If we had made that field goal, the entire tenor of the game would have been different.

You just can't march 80 yards in 8 minutes and not come up with a score. That is unforgivable.

And as for Bledsoe, he had some decent games this year. I just don't think that he can handle defensive pressure very well. Sometimes, you need your QB to win it for you. Bledsoe just doesn't seem capable of it any more.

And as for Bledsoe, he had some decent games this year.  I just don't think that he can handle defensive pressure very well.  Sometimes, you need your QB to win it for you.  Bledsoe just doesn't seem capable of it any more.

188827[/snapback]

Bledsoe never really could do that at anytime in his career. He's not a big-game QB. Never was...never will be.

PTR

Bledsoe never really could do that at anytime in his career.  He's not a big-game QB.  Never was...never will be.

PTR

188837[/snapback]

Exactly. Do you notice how the post game arguement is always whether or not Bledsoe was the "reason we lost"? It's never...."wow, Drew had a great game but someone else screwed up", or "wow, great game by Drew, leading the Bills to a win."

Fact is, this guy is NEVER the reason we win, and frequently a major reason why we lose.

If Drew is the QB in 2005, be prepared to be feeling the same way after week 17 next year.

Your QB and offense has a long drive down to the Red Zone mid way 2nd half. It was enough to put this team up by 4 against the Steelers subs. I agree this was the turning point in the game. At this point your QB did his job getting the team in the position to win. This was a team loss. Offense Desfense and Specail Teams all did thier part to ruin this game.

Bledsoe never really could do that at anytime in his career.  He's not a big-game QB.  Never was...never will be.

PTR

188837[/snapback]

I dont agree his playoff win against Steelers after being out most of the year was a big game and he delivered. Problem is his time as a starter for the Buffalo Bills is up and if he will play a backup role fine but its time to move on. Maybe parcells will take him and we can get a backup for less $ but not going to kill ya if he has to play either.

I think the game turned on that call on Josh Reed. I thought it was a bad call, he was running a route, and a defender was in his way. He nicked him, and the guy wouldn't have been in position to stop the first down anyway.

But Lindell's miss was absurd. I know for a fact that there are 6th graders who can kick a 28 yarder. My nephew can.

Had he made the kick, we would've been kicking off, and not on defense. That means that the 58 yard run would not have taken place. Something else would've happened, but I contend that our defense would've been standing taller with a 4 point lead.

Another bad thing was not going for it on 4th and a few near midfield with a little over 11 minutes left. A bad punt and 2 plays later, the Steelers were right there anyway. They ran off over 9 minutes getting 48 yards. It was great offense by the Steelers.