Not punting - and how it wouldn't have come down to Norwood - TMQ

bbb

Schopp on GR has been talking about this for a long time, and tweeted this article an hour or so ago. I saw the high school team mentioned on Real Sports last year. Easterbrook here adds in a timely (with our other thread) remark about Super Bowl XXV would not have come down to Norwood if Levy had not punted a few times.........What do you guys think?:

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8307736/tmq-praises-coach-punt-celebrates-innovative-mind-football

From the article:

"Consider that the Giants-versus-Bills Super Bowl in 1991 came down to a 47-yard field goal attempt on grass as the clock expired. When the kicker missed, he was blamed for the loss, though 47 yards on grass is 50/50 for the best place-kickers. Earlier in the game, Buffalo punted on fourth-and-1 from midfield and on fourth-and-2 from the Giants' 44. The Bills were the league's highest-scoring team that year, averaging 6.3 yards per offensive snap. Had Buffalo gone for it on those fourth-and-short situations, victory was likely. But had Buffalo gone for it and failed, coach Marv Levy would have been roasted with criticism. He did the expected, sent in the punting unit, lost the game -- and the blame went to someone else."

Another idea to eliminate the punter....

stop them on 3rd down if the choose to "punt" the ball is placed 40 yards down from the spot of the ball...if that spot is the endzone then a touchback. Thus if you are inside the opponents 40 you will have to go for it on all 4th downs you choose not to try a FG.

Eliminate the kickoff the same way...40 yards from the quickoff spot.and set kickoffs at the 35. A team could choose to do the onside kick.

To add stategy...rewars kicks placed at the 40 yrd line are farther back worth 4 points instead of 3.

The article is playing off the same statistical stuff that was talked about extensivly (and TMQ mentions it in his piece) when the Patriots went for on 4th down around their own 30 yd line. What are the probabilities of making it on 4th and short and what are the risks given field position.

Had Buffalo gone for it on those fourth-and-short situations, victory was likely. But had Buffalo gone for it and failed, coach Marv Levy would have been roasted with criticism. He did the expected, sent in the punting unit, lost the game -- and the blame went to someone else."

There you have it. Coaches are trained to play it safe, even if the odds say otherwise, in the interest of job security.

I've always advocated for going for it on 4th down when:

1) There is 3 or less yards to go

2) You are past the opponents 40 yard line

This I totally agree with. I don't see how Schopp, and other proponents of this think it can work when you deeper in your own territory. It works for this high school team - but does it work because of the strategy or does the team have overwhelming talent to begin with?

There you have it. Coaches are trained to play it safe, even if the odds say otherwise, in the interest of job security.

But, then Marv went for it when I was yelling kick the field goal - don't come away with no points - during the comeback game. I think it was 35-24 at that point and at least 4th and 5 from about the 20 and then Reich threw a TD to Andre.

I still can't believe he went for it and still think the smart thing was not to. Glad it worked, though!

From the article:

"Consider that the Giants-versus-Bills Super Bowl in 1991 came down to a 47-yard field goal attempt on grass as the clock expired. When the kicker missed, he was blamed for the loss, though 47 yards on grass is 50/50 for the best place-kickers. Earlier in the game, Buffalo punted on fourth-and-1 from midfield and on fourth-and-2 from the Giants' 44. The Bills were the league's highest-scoring team that year, averaging 6.3 yards per offensive snap. Had Buffalo gone for it on those fourth-and-short situations, victory was likely. But had Buffalo gone for it and failed, coach Marv Levy would have been roasted with criticism. He did the expected, sent in the punting unit, lost the game -- and the blame went to someone else."

How about if we had simply tackled a little better.

This I totally agree with. I don't see how Schopp, and other proponents of this think it can work when you deeper in your own territory. It works for this high school team - but does it work because of the strategy or does the team have overwhelming talent to begin with?

But, then Marv went for it when I was yelling kick the field goal - don't come away with no points - during the comeback game. I think it was 35-24 at that point and at least 4th and 5 from about the 20 and then Reich threw a TD to Andre.

I still can't believe he went for it and still think the smart thing was not to. Glad it worked, though!

I remember turning to my brother and making a motion to him with my fingers, saying we need to kick it ... We should have kicked it there ... I'm glad we didn't!

I remember turning to my brother and making a motion to him with my fingers, saying we need to kick it ... We should have kicked it there ... I'm glad we didn't!

Totally wrong. Bills down 11 and the 2-pt conversion was not yet in play. Kicking a FG meant two scores still needed -- same as if we don't make the 4th down. It was always the right call, and Marv is a smart guy. That doesn't change the fact he could/should have been more aggressive vs the Giants.

I still maintain it was a flaw on the officials Thurman on his run before the kick was out of bounds and the kept the clock running. Would have saved a time out and we would have had another play to run. Also If I recall correctly the placed it a yard or two behind where he actually went out of bounds.