Scott Norwood

Do you blame Norwood for the loss?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Is Scott to blame?

• Yes. Kickers should make that kick.
    • No. It was a team loss.

This is the correct answer. A tackle there and the game could have been completely different...

Yep. But unfortunately for Scott, showing that fail isn't nearly sexy for the networks that show the missed kick 35 times a day leading up to every SB since.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the exact odds but a 47 yard FG is something like a 50-50 proposition. If Norwood had hit it, we wouldn't be reading all this negative stuff about Scotty, Marv, Kelly.

But the fact that the game came down to an iffy 47 yarders indicates that the team failed to do enough. So, in fact, Marv, Kelly et al do deserve the "blame." I hate to blame anyone, though, because we Bills fans were treated to a wonderful season that year.

Jim Kelly is to blame... and scott Norwood is to Blame

If Jim put up points...

Scott wouldnt have HAD to make a kick

What happened next? Scott disapeared... and Jim Kelly ALWAYS played on his injurys..

Frank Reich!!!!!!!!!!! would have one at least 2 superbowls...

Jim Kelly is to blame... and scott Norwood is to Blame

If Jim put up points...

Scott wouldnt have HAD to make a kick

What happened next? Scott disapeared... and Jim Kelly ALWAYS played on his injurys..

Frank Reich!!!!!!!!!!! would have one at least 2 superbowls...

I agree with your comments, but just one clarifying question: WHAT?

Edited by stevestojan

Yes we were outcoached, but a kickers job is to make a kick. So if Norwood misses, it's someone elses fault, but if he makes it he's a hero? I don't buy it. This is why Vinatieri is so clutch because he makes those pressure kicks.

Norwood was a great kicker for us but he choked when we needed him the most.

No way - anything over 40 yards is a long way to kick and leave it in the hands of a kicker. The defense needed to stop Hostetler from those long drives that consumed most of the 2nd half. Hard to blame the d because they were so good back then but it is in large part their fault.

No way - anything over 40 yards is a long way to kick and leave it in the hands of a kicker. The defense needed to stop Hostetler from those long drives that consumed most of the 2nd half. Hard to blame the d because they were so good back then but it is in large part their fault.

So if Norwood made the kick, he wouldn't have been responsible for the win? Then who would be?

The defense needed to stop Hostetler from those long drives that consumed most of the 2nd half. Hard to blame the d because they were so good back then but it is in large part their fault.

They were out of energy. They burned all of their energy in the Tampa bars during the week. The Giants were fully rested for this game, owing to their team curfew compliance.

So if Norwood made the kick, he wouldn't have been responsible for the win? Then who would be?

No, if Norwood made the kick, he would have won the game (and it would have been a GREAT kick - 47 yards, on grass, to win a Superbowl).

But that doesn't mean he lost the game by missing it.

Anyone solely blaming Norwood is misfiring on some synapses.

To me, the blame should be spread to things that could have been easily controlled by Bills, and I don't count a 47 yd field goal on grass from a kicker who's never done that in his career as a controlled event. Thus, to me the game was the result of:

Reed dropping the easy 3rd down conversion after safety - two mistakes, Kelly deciding to throw the pass on 3rd & 1 with 2 down linemen, and Reed's blatant drop.

Crappy tackling on 3rd & longs (yes, the Ingram catch & run was disgusting)

Al Edwards not holding the block for a split second longer to spring TT for game winning TD on the final drive.

Bills also got screwed by the refs' review of McKeller's shoes string catch which wasted 10-15 seconds, which would have given time for one more play to get into closer range.

No, if Norwood made the kick, he would have won the game (and it would have been a GREAT kick - 47 yards, on grass, to win a Superbowl).

But that doesn't mean he lost the game by missing it.

Ooooh so if he makes it, he wins the game, but if he misses, he didn't lose the game. Makes sense.

So I guess Adam Vinatieri never won those games. Tom Brady won the game by putting Adam in great position to nail a 43 yard kick

Edited by FleaMoulds80

Yes we were outcoached, but a kickers job is to make a kick. So if Norwood misses, it's someone elses fault, but if he makes it he's a hero? I don't buy it. This is why Vinatieri is so clutch because he makes those pressure kicks.

Norwood was a great kicker for us but he choked when we needed him the most.

Norwood was not a choker and he didn't choke on that kick. He made a lot of game winning kicks for us - see 1988 season.

You say a kicker's job is to make a kick? Even when it's out of his range and on grass? If it was 57 yards, would it still be "a kicker's job is to make a kick?"

Norwood was not a choker and he didn't choke on that kick. He made a lot of game winning kicks for us - see 1988 season.

You say a kicker's job is to make a kick? Even when it's out of his range and on grass? If it was 57 yards, would it still be "a kicker's job is to make a kick?"

It was out of his range? Last time i saw he had PLENTY of distance on his kick. Maybe we were watching different games?

And if you learn how to read and pick up some comprehension skills, I already said he's been a great kicker for us...but he CHOKED when we needed him the most.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

If Doug Flutie throws that Hail Mary for BC and it doesn't get caught, does he lose the game. No. It was a barnburner and he wouldn't be blamed for not connecting on a long shot.........But, he does get credit for winning it.

Same thing.

Norwood's numbers, 1988-1990:

Inside 40 yards, 53 of 61, 87%

Outside 40 yards, 22 of 35, 63%.

It wasn't a "gimme", people.

Inside 40 yards: