Our front four

Look I don't have the resources you guys do. I watch the game live on a Internet feed on a computer monitor. I can't record it and watch it 10x on my giant TV.

So I keyed in on the front 4. Didn't care about anything else. Boys they are unbeatable. The LOS never went forward and often went backward. I saw the Pitt OL literally shoved in Bens face.

Am I wrong in this interpretation?

Your correct for the most part. That horrible 99yrd drive was a scary wakeup call though. The play they needed to pressure Ben, he had A LOT of time to roam back there in that end zone. And honestly, I knew right away once we started to tale time outs that we were going to be scored on before the half. it really reminded me of a Juron defense. There was TONS of bending on that drive.

I've watched all three preseason games so far, was at the Pittsburgh game tonight, and I go away from these games with a distinct impression: I just don't believe we're seeing a real effort to win from the Bills in the preseason. If this were last year I'd be pretty down about the team, but last year's preseason proved to me two things about Gailey's Bills - they can play VERY different come regular season than they do in the preseason, and Gailey does not want to show what he is really planning on doing in the preseason - hence, we are not really trying to win in a way that we would be in the regular season. Sure, we'd like to go out and match up, man to man, and win the assignments. However, there is just too much game planning, scheming going on to expect to win without also putting together equivalent game plans. I know the Bills said they would game plan this week - I just have the FEELING the Bills are trying to take people unexpectedly come regular season. I may be wrong.

One thing that does bother me, though - it is Fitz's apparent lack of development. Again, I'll wait to see how the real games unfold, but on that front I thought we'd see a little more consistency, in a good way.

Your correct for the most part. That horrible 99yrd drive was a scary wakeup call though. The play they needed to pressure Ben, he had A LOT of time to roam back there in that end zone. And honestly, I knew right away once we started to tale time outs that we were going to be scored on before the half. it really reminded me of a Juron defense. There was TONS of bending on that drive.

Our DL pretty well did it's job, [on the 3 down pass] contain and neutralize Pitt's OL. Problem is no one took advantage of it. Did we have 7 players in coverage?

Look I don't have the resources you guys do. I watch the game live on a Internet feed on a computer monitor. I can't record it and watch it 10x on my giant TV.

So I keyed in on the front 4. Didn't care about anything else. Boys they are unbeatable. The LOS never went forward and often went backward. I saw the Pitt OL literally shoved in Bens face.

Am I wrong in this interpretation?

You're right but I would like to see more out of the Ends, Marrio better be holding back bc I expected more of him so far. Besides the DTs Jarron Gilbert looked pretty good also.

Our DL pretty well did it's job, [on the 3 down pass] contain and neutralize Pitt's OL. Problem is no one took advantage of it. Did we have 7 players in coverage?

You might be on to something. But at the end of the day, the pressure in that drive was absolutely invisible. It defenately wasn't reassuring. It could be a fluke, but I was defenately worried. I knew we were going to be driven on and scored on. It looked no better than Bills defenses under Juron when you knew the opposition would score, it was just a matter of how long it would take. It migh have been our D or it could have just been the Steelers didn't really get serious until they needed to. It wasn't pretty at best.

You might be on to something. But at the end of the day, the pressure in that drive was absolutely invisible. It defenately wasn't reassuring. It could be a fluke, but I was defenately worried. I knew we were going to be driven on and scored on. It looked no better than Bills defenses under Juron when you knew the opposition would score, it was just a matter of how long it would take. It migh have been our D or it could have just been the Steelers didn't really get serious until they needed to. It wasn't pretty at best.

We pulled our front 4 during that drive. Odd decision, but the facts.

this is just my opinion, but with the incredible push kyle and dareus get up the middle, it probably makes sense for one de to come underneath them during the obvious pass play...

the push up the middle is unreal... ive never seen that before...

it makes no sense for both des to just run around the pocket

this is just my opinion, but with the incredible push kyle and dareus get up the middle, it probably makes sense for one de to come underneath them during the obvious pass play...

the push up the middle is unreal... ive never seen that before...

it makes no sense for both des to just run around the pocket

Here is what I think is great, and likely to happen a good deal of the time, but something we havent seen yet, although we got a glimpse of it tonight.

Mario plays left end. He is primarily a bull rusher, and even when he doesnt get pressure he almost always knocks his man back. The QB, because he's likely right handed, almost always sees Mario in his field of vision, even if he is looking downfield. This is a very good thing, as opposed to him playing on the QBs blindside. The QB's tendency is to sep up in the pocket, to avoid the rush he knows is coming and he can see. But Marcel is huge and Kyle is nasty and quick, and one of them is likely to beat his man. Many times tonight both of them did. There is NO pocket to step up into, something there always has been, even when Kyle was there and good.

The other option for a QB, when the pressure is in his face and there is no pocket to step up into, is to wheel around and go the opposite way, toward his LT. Mark Anderson's strength is his speed. He is usually going to be right in the lane of the QB reversing his field if that is his choice. That may be how Anderson gets as many or more sacks that Mario, because QBs will be trying to back up or avoid Mario, and with no pocket to step up into because of Marcel and Kyle, he will be walking right into Anderson.

Our four guys are all good. But the positions and style they play, at least in theory, makes them even better. Not to mention that Wanny's theory is to send everyone every play full bore after the ball. It remains to be seen if this works as well as it should. But we should have a killer, smothering rush with those four guys because of their styles as much as their talent. We saw it a lot tonight, even without Anderson.

We pulled our front 4 during that drive. Odd decision, but the facts.

They didn't pull the front four until the Steelers were in the Bills 41 yard line. They were out because they were gassed and we needed fresh legs. I hate to be the one to tell you but this will happen in the regular season. They were out for 3 plays, coming back in when the Steelers were at the 11 yard line. So to put a wrench into your argument, they were on the field when the big 3rd down was given up, for another good chunk of yards up to the Bills 41, and then for the TD. They did not look good that drive at all. To say it again, they were taken out for 3 plays for a total of 30 yards out of 99 and were on the field for the worst plays of it. Go back and watch your Internet, I just watched the drive on the DVR on my HD 55" TV. Trust me, it's as clear as being there. And it was just as bad on TV as in person.

Edited by mrags

They didn't pull the front four until the Steelers were in the Bills 41 yard line. They were out because they were gassed and we needed fresh legs. I hate to be the one to tell you but this will happen in the regular season. They were out for 3 plays, coming back in when the Steelers were at the 11 yard line. So to put a wrench into your argument, they were in the field when the big 3rd drive was given up, for another good chunk of yards, and then for the TD. They did not look good that drive at all. To say it again, they were taken out for 3 plays for a total of 30 yards out of 99 and were on the field for the worst plays of it. Go back and watch your Internet, I just watched the drive on the DVR on my HD 55" TV. Trust me, it's as clear as being there.

Run that third and 10 play 10 times and they complete it 1 of the 10. That was a fabulous throw. i was disappointed in that drive, no question. I thought that Wanny should have pressured Big Ben more on that third down. But I don't know why you would think that will be the norm rather than the aberration. We got tremendous pressure most of the time, with three of our four pass rushers in there. I am not really concerned about the starting defense at all. They are going to give up points. Rothlisberger is one of the best QBs and 2 minute Qbs in the game. I was VERY encouraged by our defense tonight though, even with that drive.

No one likes to give up a drive like that. They didnt play well. I'm betting that is not the norm. The main three looked like studs out there.

they didnt blitz and a play like that never happens... not worried

Another thing i am drooling about is we get all that pressure from three guys. Kelsay did little this game at first glance. Anderson should get significantly more pressure from the right side. We didnt blitz hardly at all (although I will have to watch it again). One play I remember we did blitz, Barnett went in untouched.

In the regular season, Byrd and Gilmore, along with Barnett and Moats or Morrison, will be blitzing. Maybe Scott, too. Wanny is not known for tons of blitzing but more the surgical kind. If we get the pressure from Mt. Rushmore, blitzing should be fun as hell.

Run that third and 10 play 10 times and they complete it 1 of the 10. That was a fabulous throw. i was disappointed in that drive, no question. I thought that Wanny should have pressured Big Ben more on that third down. But I don't know why you would think that will be the norm rather than the aberration. We got tremendous pressure most of the time, with three of our four pass rushers in there. I am not really concerned about the starting defense at all. They are going to give up points. Rothlisberger is one of the best QBs and 2 minute Qbs in the game. I was VERY encouraged by our defense tonight though, even with that drive.

No one likes to give up a drive like that. They didnt play well. I'm betting that is not the norm. The main three looked like studs out there.

I can't disagree with anything you said here. I never said they were horrible. I never said this drive was of the norm. I never said the front 4 wasn't fantastic for the majority of the game. I never said that we wouldn't get scored on. It's the NFL. It's going to happen. We aren't gonna post shutouts all year that's for sure. I'm just arguing that the front 4 weren't missing that while drive. They were in for the majority of it and they looked pretty bad on it. Some of it could have been luck on the Steelers part, some of it could be that we weren't lucky. Well find out more in the regular season.

They didn't pull the front four until the Steelers were in the Bills 41 yard line. They were out because they were gassed and we needed fresh legs. I hate to be the one to tell you but this will happen in the regular season. They were out for 3 plays, coming back in when the Steelers were at the 11 yard line. So to put a wrench into your argument, they were on the field when the big 3rd down was given up, for another good chunk of yards up to the Bills 41, and then for the TD. They did not look good that drive at all. To say it again, they were taken out for 3 plays for a total of 30 yards out of 99 and were on the field for the worst plays of it. Go back and watch your Internet, I just watched the drive on the DVR on my HD 55" TV. Trust me, it's as clear as being there. And it was just as bad on TV as in person.

Oh well you have big TV. Who am I? Why did they not blitz on that 3rd and long? Come on man you got the answers.

Oh well you have big TV. Who am I? Why did they not blitz on that 3rd and long? Come on man you got the answers.

I don't have the answers. You were saying the starting front 4 was pulled for that drive. It's not true. You said it if it was fact and it wasn't. I was at the game and didn't notice the same things you were so sure of so I went back and looked at the tape and happened to prove you wrong. Don't be pissed at me because I was right. And yes, I do have a big TV. Your wlecome to come over anytime and watch a game if you'd like. But that wasn't the reason for my big TV comment. You said you didn't have the luxery of watching on TV and were on an Internet feed. I was simply letting you know that I had completely clear view of the players on the field during each play of that drive. Enjoy your night. Go Bills!