A question about the Wildcat, TT and the 3rd QB spot

mrags

I was wondering, hopefully someone can help me with this. We brought in Smith to play the WC from the 3rd QB position right? And the reason why he's our 3rd QB is because we get to carry and extra on Sunday right? But isn't there something in the rules (this is where I need help) that states that if the backup QB comes in then the starter has to be a certain number of plays following that? I'm just curious because Swxy Rexy has TT listed as thier backup and I just thought there were rules against bringing in your backup to play the wildcat then just head back to the sideline afterwards. Smith is a 3rd and we got that secret little deal about the 3rd guy on gameday. Can someone please explain if I'm crazy or not. Hopefully you know the rules better than me.

Thanks.

That is a great point and have not thought about it really. I do not believe the 3rd string QB can come in before the 4th quarter. If he does come in before the 4th quarter, the 1st and 2nd string QB's cannot return to the game.

SO, if I am reading that correctly, Brad Smith is either listed as WR on game days...or CUT

The rules have changed as of last year. The 3rd QB doesn't have all those extra restrictions like they used to. e.g. 1st string QB CAN come back into the game. So the 3rd QB slot becomes a potentially useful slot, not just deadweight like before.

The backup (2nd string) QB has not had any restrictions on the 1st string QB IIRC. The only restriction that I can remember is just like any player, that if they leave the field due to injury they have to wait a play before coming back in. So that's why the backup QB has sometimes still been on the field when the starter looks ready to return after being 'shaken up'.

That is a great point and have not thought about it really. I do not believe the 3rd string QB can come in before the 4th quarter. If he does come in before the 4th quarter, the 1st and 2nd string QB's cannot return to the game.

SO, if I am reading that correctly, Brad Smith is either listed as WR on game days...or CUT

Old rules. Changed as of last year, and why we brought Brad Smith onto the team, because he CAN be brought out and do something useful. (run the wildcat)

The rules have changed as of last year. The 3rd QB doesn't have all those extra restrictions like they used to. e.g. 1st string QB CAN come back into the game. So the 3rd QB slot becomes a potentially useful slot, not just deadweight like before.

The backup (2nd string) QB has not had any restrictions on the 1st string QB IIRC. The only restriction that I can remember is just like any player, that if they leave the field due to injury they have to wait a play before coming back in. So that's why the backup QB has sometimes still been on the field when the starter looks ready to return after being 'shaken up'.

That's correct, to the best of my knowledge. That said, you still have a limited number of roster positions available on gameday, so if you're uncomfortable with two QBs, it's nice to have a third available for emergencies while still getting some special teams and wildcat work out of him.

That's correct, to the best of my knowledge. That said, you still have a limited number of roster positions available on gameday, so if you're uncomfortable with two QBs, it's nice to have a third available for emergencies while still getting some special teams and wildcat work out of him.

You have 45 plus a third qb that can dress. You could always have your 3rd qb dress and play whenever you want if counted in the 45, but TI get the exemption you used to have to sit the first two if he came in. Now you do not so we get an extra gamedays body. 45+ brad smith. Hence part of his value

Old rules. Changed as of last year, and why we brought Brad Smith onto the team, because he CAN be brought out and do something useful. (run the wildcat)

This is correct. The “Emergency QB” rule was removed a few years ago. You are now allowed to dress 46 players on game day rather than the old 45 + 3rd QB. Also, the player designated as the 3rd QB does not have to actually be a QB, it can be any position player. So Chan isn’t listing Brad Smith as the 3rd QB simply to take advantage of this rule, he really believes BS can be the 3rd QB on the 53 man roster this year in addition to playing WR and ST. Now if Fitz gets hurt, I’ll bet they bring in someone else to be the #2 behind either Thigpen or Young rather than having Smith actually be the backup QB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_quarterback_rule

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/22/nfl-drops-third-quarterback-rule-46-active-players-on-game-day/

Thanks for all the info guys. I wasn't concerned about Brad Smith really. I knew the rule was changed for the 3rd QB. My only thought was regarding the 2nd QB and if there were any rules with that position. Because if there was, then Fat Rexy has some serious things to change.