Thought Experiment...

Lets see.. who are the best pure athletes in todays NFL?

Adrian Peterson

Patrick Willis

Mike Vick

Julius Peppers

Rob Gronkowski

Calvin Johnson

Wait.. I just changed my answer to Calvin Johnson

Vick can't play qb without getting hurt.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so we need three things:

1) A high character player who doesn't get hurt

2) A smart guy who can be relied on to do a variety of things well

3) A ridiculous size/speed ratio with the requisite athleticism

I'll take 11 Levon Kirklands please......

Polamalu also cant throw the ball.. how are they going to do anything on offense with 200 lb offensive lineman and a QB who cant throw?

What makes you think Polamalu can't throw? I was just reading his wiki page, and the guy played both ways in high school, and was a first-team all-state RB, and was also a star high school baseball and basketball player. I would venture to guess that especially as a star High School baseball player, he could throw a football.

But there would be little throwing needed-- I'd run a spread-read style offense with Polamalu.

He would get eaten alive in the trenches. Covering a WR is a small portion of what's required. He'd have to block Vince wilfork, suh, dareus...... Whoever. And shed blocks without any big guys eating space on the defensive line. you could just run on him, and even if hes good in coverage the qb should have 8-10 seconds on most plays.

for me its narrowed totally to can Cam tackle/be physical, or can Ware throw?

its the only way youd stand any chance of the game being remotely competitive, and even then its almost impossible.

I like ware a lot because he can hit, he can take on lineman, hes physical enough that youd hope at 260-270 he wouldnt just crumble when blocking. he played WR at a high level in high school so he has hands and some idea of routes possibly. the only spots he suffer terribly at are corner (still 4.5 speed and not totally foreign to play outside, and drops in coverage occasionally. could probably hold a guy for 2-3 seconds if 4-5 wares could pressure the qb fast), and center/guard with blocking DTs. With of course the question - can he throw?

DeMarcus Ware (or Cam) couldn't cover any WR in the league, let alone my team of Polamalus. We would kill you. :D

No love for our very own Fred Jackson?

Think about it...we know he can handle all of the skill positions, even tossing the rock. He's known to be an excellent blocker. He's a tough, physical presence with something to prove. I think, of all players on the opposite side of the ball, his skill set could easily transition to D.

Run a Dick LeBeau D and bring 5 or 6 guys every snap...one FredEx would surely deliver.

Put him in shotgun every snap with one or two of him next to him...sooo many options.

I'll put team FredEx up against anyone.

FWIW, I'm not a young buck with delusions of present tense grandeur. I've been round the game a long time and I have trouble picking out anyone, from any era, that I would like to clone more.

What makes you think Polamalu can't throw? I was just reading his wiki page, and the guy played both ways in high school, and was a first-team all-state RB, and was also a star high school baseball and basketball player. I would venture to guess that especially as a star High School baseball player, he could throw a football.

But there would be little throwing needed-- I'd run a spread-read style offense with Polamalu.

DeMarcus Ware (or Cam) couldn't cover any WR in the league, let alone my team of Polamalus. We would kill you. :D

Saying Polamalu can throw a football is like saying I can throw a football. To clarify he can't throw like an NFL QB

There would be little throwing? And you would plan on running behind five 200 lb linemen?

You'd have 208 lbs blockers. If he can cover for about a second and a half, that pass isn't getting off (in the 53 of mine vs 53 of yours, which I think is a much more interesting debate as no one would stand a chance against a real team)

Polamalu throws the ball so fast that you can't even see the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEmOdteie2g

Edited by FleaMoulds80

Doug Flutie

So I could not have to hear any more excuses for what would have happened in that playoff game. He would get smashed to bits in 30 seconds and when he did get a pass off, he would hit himself in the foot instead of hitting Sam Gash in the foot.

We would then get the first pick in the draft and I'd take 53 Rob Johnson's and then I wouldn't have to hear any more about him. He'd all be on the IR by week 3 of the preseason and we would go out and pick up 53 versions of a scrub.

The next year I would take someone versatile enough to have speed strength and savvy. I'm thinking Ronnie Lott. If it had to be a current day player I might go with Donte Whitner.

I was sure you'd nominate Honey Badger.

Lets see.. who are the best pure athletes in todays NFL?

Adrian Peterson

Patrick Willis

Mike Vick

Julius Peppers

Rob Gronkowski

Calvin Johnson

Wait.. I just changed my answer to Calvin Johnson

I think you have to put Cam Newton over Michael Vick.

Not in today's league with these athletes. Brown was great in his era but defenses would mop the floor with him now.

I change my mind about Polamalu. Would love to have a team of Aaron Maybins because of his freakish ability to gain and lose weight. He's so versatile too. Full of confidence. He's fast. Quick first step. Can tackle. Whats not to love?

The OP said we could clone the guy. If we had 50+ Jim Brown clones running around today with our modern knowledge of training, nutrition, etc., they'd be beasts.