Why did Fitz start the last 3 games?

After the Bills lost to the Chargers in week 14, they were all but eliminated from playoff contention at 5-8.

My question is... if Fitz had been playing hurt since week 8, then why did he play in the last 3 games? They had almost nothing to play for and if he was hurt to the point where it was affecting his performance, then why not start Thigpen instead?

I've heard no reliable evidence Fitz was still impacted by the rib/chest injury by that point in the season. He's the starting QB, he should play.

We've heard no reliable evidence about the injury period. Fitz wont talk about it, coaches wont acknowledge it. Thats my point..

We've heard no reliable evidence about the injury period. Fitz wont talk about it, coaches wont acknowledge it. Thats my point..

Actually, I'm not quite sure what your point is, or the relevance of this topic. Fitz isn't an excuse-maker, he's a leader. The only guy who has spoken of the injury is David Nelson, and he did so in "reverence' of what Fitz played through.

Can we move on?

Actually, I'm not quite sure what your point is, or the relevance of this topic. Fitz isn't an excuse-maker, he's a leader. The only guy who has spoken of the injury is David Nelson, and he did so in "reverence' of what Fitz played through.

Can we move on?

First of all.. yes we can move on.

But my point is that many people on this board use Fitz's injury as an excuse for his poor performance in the second half of last year. If he was hurt.. why was he playing when it didnt matter?

First of all.. yes we can move on.

But my point is that many people on this board use Fitz's injury as an excuse for his poor performance in the second half of last year. If he was hurt.. why was he playing when it didnt matter?

Most of what I've read on the board is that people cite the injury as a contributing factor (along with injuries to the entire WR corps, Fred Jackson, Scott Chandler, and the OL) as reasons why Fitz's production slipped significantly over the last nine games.

Again, I think you're asking a question nobody has any interest in answering, because it's irrelevant.

Most of what I've read on the board is that people cite the injury as a contributing factor (along with injuries to the entire WR corps, Fred Jackson, Scott Chandler, and the OL) as reasons why Fitz's production slipped significantly over the last nine games.

Again, I think you're asking a question nobody has any interest in answering, because it's irrelevant.

I disagree that it is irrelevant.. on the contrary I think the play of our QB is one of the most important issues on the team... also I'm not sure you can say its a question no one wants to answer if you yourself are trying to answer it.

I think the bigger question is why did he start weeks 9 - 11 ... just saying ... was the coaching staff so down on our backups that they didn't trust them? If so what the heck are those backups still doing on the team?

I disagree that it is irrelevant.. on the contrary I think the play of our QB is one of the most important issues on the team... also I'm not sure you can say its a question no one wants to answer if you yourself are trying to answer it.

No, I'm pointing out that you're barking up the wrong tree. You clearly have a not-so-hidden agenda -- not playing.

After the Bills lost to the Chargers in week 14, they were all but eliminated from playoff contention at 5-8.

My question is... if Fitz had been playing hurt since week 8, then why did he play in the last 3 games? They had almost nothing to play for and if he was hurt to the point where it was affecting his performance, then why not start Thigpen instead?

The answer is obvious, as you are aware. He would have not have played those games if he was injured.

But it is, as others have mentioned, irrelevant now. Fitz is the QB of the Bills this season. Many have concerns about that. But the bottom line is the defense almost certainly will not be able to be used as an excuse this season. It is time to see if the offense is fine as-is, or if it needs upgrades. I have to believe QB is not excluded from that evaluation.

I think the bigger question is why did he start weeks 9 - 11 ... just saying ... was the coaching staff so down on our backups that they didn't trust them? If so what the heck are those backups still doing on the team?

Sad to think that an injured Fitz (I do subscribe to the injury theory) who looked so off was still better than either of the healthy backups.

Edited by Double-J

They really needed Fitz to bounce back in those games IMO, but in reality it made almost no sense to play him. He was even worse terrible in those 3 games too. I think they were thinking the fans would rather see him play the two home games and they were not selling tickets, there is significant hatred of the Bills 2nd string QB, and even less people come to see Thigpen play the Phins and Broncos. That is my guess. Then, in the Patriots game, it was just to see if the Bills with Fitz could try and sweep the Patriots and sell hope for the next season once again. I think it is also proven fans are not willing to spend money to see Fitzpatrick play at the stadium, just another reason to really just cut him.

Edited by paintmyhouse

He was probably healed up by then. You aren't hurt forever and wasn't it like 2 months past the alleged injury?

It would probably be 2 months to heal if you took it easy for those 2 months. Not if you were still playing and getting knocked to the ground by 300lb men.