Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 8/4/2012

It was Day 9 at Buffalo Bills Training Camp and a scorcher outside, easily the hottest day since the team arrived at St. John Fisher in late July. The stands were packed, the players were in full pads and fans got to enjoy the first live hitting goal-line work of the year. Coach Gailey gave the players four chances for both the #1 and #2 teams to score at the goal-line and allowed full contact. The team also spent extra time working on red-zone drills, plus the usual 1-on-1's, 7-on-7's, 11-on-11's and special teams drills.

As always, the team started off with a few light paced drills and because of the heat, took it easy at the beginning with a few warm up drills together with their own units. Following that drill, the team worked on fundamentals for special teams, including lining up for a punt and practicing gunner drills. The team did this for a short time and then had both kickers practice field goal kicking. Both Rian Lindell and John Potter tried field goals from 33, 38, 43 and 48 yards and both of them appeared to make them.

The horn sounded at the end of the drill and then the team worked on some one-on-one matchups. I watched the passing drills to see how the wide receivers were doing while missing two of the top receivers in Stevie Johnson and David Nelson. They did alright. Derek Session made one nice catch against Isaiah Green, but then he dropped a couple too. I was impressed with Kamar Aiken on one play where he juked to make Cris Hill miss. Rookie TJ Graham also hauled in a nice 40-yard pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick. But my favorite play was one that Marcus Easley made over Ron Brooks, where he leaped in the air for it and then was hit as he fell to the ground, but he still held onto the ball the whole time. On the negative side for the offense, Leodis McKelvin swatted the ball away from Naaman Roosevelt on one play. But Roosevelt caught the next one later on.

Following the 1-on-1 drills, the safeties, running backs and tight ends joined in for the 7-on-7 passing drill. The team worked in the red zone, as that seemed to be a focus part for the day. Ryan Fitzpatrick started it off with a 12-yard pass to Derek Hagan. He then connected with Donald Jones for 15-yards. On the next play, Fitzpatrick hit Scott Chandler for 5-yards. He then found Ruvell Martin for 6-yards. Fitzpatrick then had his pass batted down by Aaron Williams. On the final play of the series, Fitzpatrick connected with Chandler again, this time for 8-yards. Tyler Thigpen then came in to lead the backups and overthrew Kevin Brock. He then found David Clowney for 20-yards. On the next play, Thigpen overthrew Ruvell Martin. He then hit Kamar Aiken for 12-yards and followed it with a pass to TJ Graham for 9-yards. On the final play of the series, Thigpen threw a 10-yard pass to Clowney.

Ryan Fitzpatrick came back on the field and immediately connected with Donald Jones for 11-yards and followed that with a 13-yard pass to Jones. He then hit CJ Spiller for 16-yards. On the next play, Fitzpatrick found Scott Chandler, who catches everything, for 10-yards. He then hit Derek Hagan for 5-yards. On the final play of the series, Fitzpatrick went back to Chandler, this time for 12-yards. Vince Young came on the field next and started out by overthrowing Dorin Dickerson. He then hit Lee Smith for 4-yards and followed that with a 10-yard pass to Derek Session. On the final play of the series, Young found Fendi Onobun for 8-yards. Brad Smith came in next and threw floater to TJ Graham, but he dropped it. On the final play of the drill, Smith thought he had Marcus Easley, but Delano Howell knocked the ball down....... CLICK FOR MORE:

Oh and if you want to check out my photos. I took a whole bunch and posted them in my photobucket gallery here....

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/Mikey82_photos/Buffalo%20Bills%20Training%20Camp%202012/08-04-12%20Saturday%20Afternoon/

My favorite has gotta be this photo of Fitzpatrick running with the ball....

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/Mikey82_photos/Buffalo%20Bills%20Training%20Camp%202012/08-04-12%20Saturday%20Afternoon/Photo028.jpg

Mike has the best reports IMO.. I appreciate everyones reports, but I just enjoy the way Mike breaks down each play quickly and efficiently and throws in some brief to the point observations to boot.

Yeah it's me Mike

Nice job and thanks!

No problem! Glad you like it!

Thanks Mike!

You're welcome!

Gonna look at the pics now.

Thanks as always, Mike!!!

:thumbsup:

Let me know if there's any you want a copy of. You could also click on the photo to get a much bigger one.

Mike has the best reports IMO.. I appreciate everyones reports, but I just enjoy the way Mike breaks down each play quickly and efficiently and throws in some brief to the point observations to boot.

Yeah it's me Mike

Thanks ddaryl! I originally did just the play by play. Then years ago, someone told me that I should add my opinion at the end of a few different topics. I then tried just the Extra points and people told me I was missing the play by play, so i brought it back. Im glad you enjoy reading it!

Thanks for the report!

Would you say that the 2nd and 3rd team offenses are getting better as camp goes on? I didn't see too many negatives mentioned in the article, so I'm hoping things are starting to click.

You're welcome. Im definitely not willing to say that. I just think they dont face as tough of a defense as the

#1s do. But honestly, if I could...I would dump both Thigpen and Young and try to trade for a solid vet backup or scour the waiver wire.

Thanks for the great job Mike.

I agree with you on Choice, he was solid last year when Freddie went down, way more explosive back than Johnny White. The other RB they picked up, how is he doing? He has nice measurables.

Is Danny Batten playing LB or DE? I have yet to read about him on any of these TC reports.

Thanks for the great job Mike.

I agree with you on Choice, he was solid last year when Freddie went down, way more explosive back than Johnny White. The other RB they picked up, how is he doing? He has nice measurables.

Is Danny Batten playing LB or DE? I have yet to read about him on any of these TC reports.

The new RB, Zach Brown looked a bit slow compared to the other ones.

As for Batten, I think he's playing at OLB, but I.dont know. Haven't seen him much.

The new RB, Zach Brown looked a bit slow compared to the other ones.

As for Batten, I think he's playing at OLB, but I.dont know. Haven't seen him much.

Zach Brown played here in Madison for the Badgers, I wanna say his fresh/soph/junior seasons. I remember him not being able to crack into the running back rotation. He transferred out. I thought he may have had an incident with dom abuse or something when he was here, but I checked and couldn't dig it up... might be I got the wrong guy