Any interest in Josh Gordon in Supplemental Draft

If Nix and Gailey like what they see in him, why not take him in the 3rd? The way I see it, we aren't that many pieces away from becoming a legit postseason contender.

They will. Chances are, however, they will not like enough of him to take him in the third. Nix has been evaluating players for a long time and is arguably one of the better men in the entire NFL. He has surely watched tape on this guy and made some observations. He will probably go himself to the pro day to see in person. And he is going to apply all of the knowledge he had a couple months ago about what he saw in the WR class as to whether or not this guy is worth a 3rd round pick or a 4th round pick or lower.

To me, in order for Nix to even offer a 4th round pick for Gordon, he would have to see him as a 2nd round talent. He just spent a 3rd round pick on TJ Graham. He knows and likes what he sees in Easley. There are several clear red flags about Gordon off the field. IF, and it's a huge IF, Buddy Nix sees this guy as good or better than a guy drafted in the top half of the 2nd round, he MAY offer a 4th round pick in next year's draft for him. Otherwise, he is going to see what his #4 pick of 2010 and his #3 pick of 2012 are going to be like as pros. He surely thinks they both are VERY good. After all, he chose them.

As an aside, to George Thorogood above, me it's unfair to say that Gordon put up those mediocre with one of the greatest college QBs of all time, RGIII was not nearly RGIII in 2010. He was quite good but not the player he was last year, and Gordon only started 5 games. Andrew Luck you may be able to say that about because he has been a lot more consistent. RGIII exploded last year, even though he played well before.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at WR's in the 2013 draft in RD#2 and 3 right now, it's slim pickings for the size, skill, and numbers that Gordon has put up.

Marquess Wilson-------- Wash. St.--6'2" 188-----AVG 16.9 ypc

Terrance Williams------ Baylor-----6'1" 190-----AVG 16.2

Da'Rick Rogers--------- Tennessee--6'3" 215-----AVG 15.5

Aaron Mellette--------- Elon-------6'3" 214-----AVG 14.5

Josh Groban ran a 4.52 at his proday. That will not help him, and probably takes the Bills out of serious consideration unless he lasts to the 6th or 7th round, which is highly unlikely. People are still talking 3rd, I am not thinking 4th or 5th, but it's just conjecture.

Josh Groban ran a 4.52 at his proday. That will not help him, and probably takes the Bills out of serious consideration unless he lasts to the 6th or 7th round, which is highly unlikely. People are still talking 3rd, I am not thinking 4th or 5th, but it's just conjecture.

Josh Groban the singer? When did he run the 40?

I'm pretty impressed that he ran that fast but we're all talking about a football player named Josh Gordon. But feel free to join in on the conversation whenever you get the chance.

If you're talking about 40 times, Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 and Gordon ran as fast as Fitzgerald and Boldin. Just sayin. 40 yd dash isn't the only measurement of a WR, but you must've attended the Al Davis academy of scouting.

Reportedly he pulled a quad but didn't drop a pass. I'd still risk a 3rd rounder on this guy.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

You always need to take the forty time number (whether good or bad) with a grain of salt. Kendall Wright ran a 4.63 at the combine and he is 5'10 but he still went Rd. 1 largely because the his pro day and game tape which showed he played with high end speed. Conversely, I think james Hardy ran 4.47 at the combine but he clearly turned out never to be a speed threat.

Just to compare, here is Gordon and Kendal Wright 2010 numbers, both played 13 games. Based on the stats (Below) Wright looks like the better player more receptions and yards, but Gordon looks like he has some big play capability.

Wright, Kendall Receptions: 78 Yards: 952 TDs: 7

Gordon, Josh Receptions: 42 Yards: 714 TDs: 7

Josh Groban the singer? When did he run the 40?

youtube.com/watch?v=aJxrX42WcjQ&ob=av2e

I'm pretty impressed that he ran that fast but we're all talking about a football player named Josh Gordon. But feel free to join in on the conversation whenever you get the chance.

If you're talking about 40 times, Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 and Gordon ran as fast as Fitzgerald and Boldin. Just sayin. 40 yd dash isn't the only measurement of a WR, but you must've attended the Al Davis academy of scouting.

Reportedly he pulled a quad but didn't drop a pass. I'd still risk a 3rd rounder on this guy.

The point was only that Josh Groban was thought of so highly despite the fact of his lone sophomore year performance, the year layoff, and the pot charge/off the field issues because he was thought to be this ridiculous package of size and speed, the same reason that Stephen Hill went in the second round. The prediction was a 4.3 40 at the workout, and which would have likely been able to get GMs to take the bigger risk. Running a 4.52, while easily fast enough, and faster than most WRs in the league I'd imagine, puts a dent in the "ridiculousness" of his size and speed. He's big and pretty fast, he's not big and a burner, and that is likely what will keep him from getting picked higher than he deserves to be.

Some more information According to Adam Caplan Sirius NFL

2. @caplann:Wingspan-82 for Gordon which would put him near the top of the combine WRs.
  3. @caplannf: For those keeping score, Gordon's handsize-10 (for comparison's sake-Michael Floyd at combine-9 3/8). Arm is believed to be-33 1/3.
  4. @caplan:Josh Gordon pulled his left quadriceps, but was able to finish all routes etc during workout. Didn't drop a pass
  5. @caplannfl: After Gordon pulled his quad during the 40, he did the WR workout, including the route tree. Then caught a 60-yarder in stride from Snead.
  6. @caplannfl: Good background from Rob: Despite pulled quad, Gordon impresses at Pro Day http://cbsprt.co/LFEY61 via @cbssport

Edited by JuanGuzman

And burn what round draft pick to get him?

That's what this topic boils down to.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm all in. This is our chance.

If Nix and Chan think he's worth whatever pick, then go for it. If not, don't worry about it. I don't see why people get so worked up over this. Nix and Chan probably know more about it than we do. Hell if I know what the kid is "worth".

The point was only that Josh Groban was thought of so highly despite the fact of his lone sophomore year performance, the year layoff, and the pot charge/off the field issues because he was thought to be this ridiculous package of size and speed, the same reason that Stephen Hill went in the second round. The prediction was a 4.3 40 at the workout, and which would have likely been able to get GMs to take the bigger risk. Running a 4.52, while easily fast enough, and faster than most WRs in the league I'd imagine, puts a dent in the "ridiculousness" of his size and speed. He's big and pretty fast, he's not big and a burner, and that is likely what will keep him from getting picked higher than he deserves to be.

Groban doesn't play football. Hate to tell ya.

Groban doesn't play football. Hate to tell ya.

How do you know? The Interlochen Center for the Arts Camp has turned out some pretty good players, as well as the Los Angeles County High School for the Arts, including hard hitting linebacker and jazz vocalist Gretchen Parlato and Michael Fitzpatrick, of Fitz and the Tantrums, who is a third cousin once removed to our own QB.

I, of course, was talking about Josh Gordon, and had mentioned "Gordon" a couple times earlier in the thread before the obvious sarcasm of Groban came up.

How do you know? The Interlochen Center for the Arts Camp has turned out some pretty good players, as well as the Los Angeles County High School for the Arts, including hard hitting linebacker and jazz vocalist Gretchen Parlato and Michael Fitzpatrick, of Fitz and the Tantrums, who is a third cousin once removed to our own QB.

I, of course, was talking about Josh Gordon, and had mentioned "Gordon" a couple times earlier in the thread before the obvious sarcasm of Groban came up.

:lol:

A few years ago the speculation was that the Bills were trading up for Tebow. Buddy said no and he was telling the truth. They wanted Demarius Thomas. BeyBey was a Chan favorite. If they think he was a possible first round talent, I would not be surprised if Gordon was a Bill tomorrow.

He has only been working out for three weeks. He can definitely improve on his 40 time with a little conditioning. He really is big and fast.

4.52 40 yard dash with a pulled quad. 36 inch vert. Still doesn't drop a pass and does his work out? If you ask me he sounds intriguing AND tough. Maybe some of you guys aren't giving the kid enough credit that he is still learning and makes mistakes. I wouldn't be upset if the Bills used a 3rd or lower. A 2nd would be too high. As long Nix is doing his checks and balances. Which I have no doubt he is.

Who was the last pot head Buddy picked. Use that as the basis for whether he will tomorrow. He will go to the Bengals, Skins, Dolphins, Pats or Raiders. The teams that like loser pot head criminals. Maybe Seattle.

If you think nobody on the Bills smokes weed, I don't know what to tell you. ESPN has reported that something like 70% of NFL draftees have admitted to smoking weed in college (I read the article somewhere awhile back), and Gordon is one of them. Except he got busted for it. I wouldn't be surprised if Fitzpatrick smokes the sticky icky.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

If you think nobody on the Bills smokes weed, I don't know what to tell you. ESPN has reported that something like 70% of NFL draftees have admitted to smoking weed in college (I read the article somewhere awhile back), and Gordon is one of them. Except he got busted for it. I wouldn't be surprised if Fitzpatrick smokes the sticky icky.

There's always one...

When is the last time Buddy drafted a known pot head? That is what I asked.

Browns take Gordon in RD#2 after Bills turn him down with the #1 pick in each round.

Too rich a bid for my blood.

In other news:

ESPN leaves out #Bills Kent Hull in their "remembrance" montage/tribute at @ESPYs tonight