Saddest thing I've ever seen in my life

The story ....

"A seven-month pregnant mother in China was recently beaten and forced to abort her unborn daughter, according to human rights groups. A graphic image of the aborted baby lying next to the mother has been posted on the Web."

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/chinese.officials.forced.woman.to.abort.baby.at.7.months/30060.htm

The picture (seriously don't look. Epicly sad on many levels. Good grief what are we doing to ourselves).

http://img.news.sina.com/china/p/2012/0613/U45P5029T2D476539F24DT20120614102424.jpg

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not we. China.

I saw that story posted on Twitter last week by one of the Pro-Life leaders.

As a parent, it filled me with rage. The picture you are referring to might be one of the most heartbreaking images I have ever seen.

I know it's China, but we are devaluing life every where.

We live in America. We made this the best country in the world. Nothing we can do to make the rest of it under our laws.

Not to hijack the thread but what exactly are we the best at? I love this country and served it for 4 years but to say we're the best at anything is a disillusionment, we haven't been the "Best" in quite some time.

Not to hijack the thread but what exactly are we the best at? I love this country and served it for 4 years but to say we're the best at anything is a disillusionment, we haven't been the "Best" in quite some time.

Delusional.

Why don't you back up that claim. If the US isn't the best, and hasn't been for quite some time, then which nation has held that distinction and since when?

Delusional.

Why don't you back up that claim. If the US isn't the best, and hasn't been for quite some time, then which nation has held that distinction and since when?

Can't say any country is really the best but america is in the 20's in math, 7th in literacy, 50th in Life expectancy, 23rd in unemployment and first in incarcerations. I'm not saying I don't love this country but I just want to know what makes us the "best"?

Can't say any country is really the best but america is in the 20's in math, 7th in literacy, 50th in Life expectancy, 23rd in unemployment and first in incarcerations. I'm not saying I don't love this country but I just want to know what makes us the "best"?

Best at kickin' ass! :D

Tell me where you would prefer to live.

Best at kickin' ass! :D

:thumbsup: Yeah buddy

Tell me where you would prefer to live.

I'm good here, fought for this country and love this country, however I think we could do better. Why is it a crime to want more from my country. Why is it bad that I don't like how sorry our education system is or how we treat the elderly? This country was the best country in the world for quite some time, but things don't last. The empire is fading and that's okay, it's the natural order of things. I'll always love what we stood for but I won't romanticize it.

:thumbsup: Yeah buddy

I'm good here, fought for this country and love this country, however I think we could do better. Why is it a crime to want more from my country. Why is it bad that I don't like how sorry our education system is or how we treat the elderly? This country was the best country in the world for quite some time, but things don't last. The empire is fading and that's okay, it's the natural order of things. I'll always love what we stood for but I won't romanticize it.

I will Rephrase then. Which country is the best?

And I ask again, which country is now the best? Picking a few stats, for which I can find 50 surveys or polls with results to justify any position I choose, does not mean much. How do we do on average of all factors relative to the field? Of course we can improve. Which nation cannot?

Lets get down to specifics. We can rule out all of South America, all of Africa. As far as Asia is concerned, China is out, Japan can make a weak case after their lost decade. Korea is emerging. Nearly all of Europe is out as their "enviable" standard of living was funded with gumdrops and wishes, save for Germany and the Baltic nations (Sweden, Norway, Finland). The UK is stable but their education system is in worse shape than ours and they are seeing the revival of neo-fascism along with much of Western Europe. Given the immigration trends thats only going to get severely worse. So quick list of candidates:

Australia

New Zealand

S. Korea

Sweden

Norway

Finland

Canada

Germany

Switzerland

Netherlands?

USA

Given that our population is substantially larger, considerably more heterogeneous, and since the U.S. essentially meets most if not all of the above nations' defense needs, and we still rank toward the top in nearly every statistical category, I have no problem placing the U.S. atop the list. Many agree with me as US remains a top destination for immigrants.

Edited by Jauronimo

I will Rephrase then. Which country is the best?

Why does anyone have to be the best? Why can't we just love America and want more from it? I couldn't tell you who was the best but I know we can do better. We love America because we're Americans and we know the greatness this country is capable of, not because we're blind but because we were once there. At least that's why I love this country and I can only speak for me. We were once ahead of the game in everything that mattered- science, technology, government and economy but we can't say the same anymore and that saddens me.

I know that I still have yet to answer your question and that's because I can't. There isn't a world championship that decides who the best country is but if there were I doubt we'd win.

Why does anyone have to be the best? Why can't we just love America and want more from it? I couldn't tell you who was the best but I know we can do better. We love America because we're Americans and we know the greatness this country is capable of, not because we're blind but because we were once there. At least that's why I love this country and I can only speak for me. We were once ahead of the game in everything that mattered- science, technology, government and economy but we can't say the same anymore and that saddens me.

I know that I still have yet to answer your question and that's because I can't. There isn't a world championship that decides who the best country is but if there were I doubt we'd win.

Perhaps you should revisit your first post in this thread.

And I ask again, which country is now the best? Picking a few stats, for which I can find 50 surveys or polls with results to justify any position I choose, does not mean much. How do we do on average of all factors relative to the field? Of course we can improve. Which nation cannot?

Lets get down to specifics. We can rule out all of South America, all of Africa. As far as Asia is concerned, China is out, Japan can make a weak case after their lost decade. Korea is emerging. Nearly all of Europe is out as their "enviable" standard of living was funded with gumdrops and wishes, save for Germany and the Baltic nations (Sweden, Norway, Finland). The UK is stable but their education system is in worse shape than ours and they are seeing the revival of neo-fascism along with much of Western Europe. Given the immigration trends thats only going to get severely worse. So quick list of candidates:

Australia

New Zealand

S. Korea

Sweden

Norway

Finland

Canada

Germany

Switzerland

Netherlands?

USA

Given that our population is substantially larger, considerably more heterogeneous, and since the U.S. essentially meets most if not all of the above nations' defense needs, and we still rank toward the top in nearly every statistical category, I have no problem placing the U.S. atop the list. Many agree with me as US remains a top destination for immigrants.

Wait. ... You're telling me "Lost Horizon" was a work of fiction?

Australia

New Zealand

S. Korea

Sweden

Norway

Finland

Canada

Germany

Switzerland

Netherlands?

USA

Good list, and good points. Outside of the US, I'd agree with Sweden/Finland/Norway as being possible front runners.

But you're right, it basically comes down to "Pobody's Nerfect"