Undercover reporter discovers she doesn't like to work hard

Just Jack

I see the argument on the working hard thing... Yet... What a crazy job culture and how dysfunctional it seems. No wonder productivity suffers.

This is at millions of production facilities across the country. It is not exlusive.

Sounds like a crappy job, but everyone works those at some point in their lives. Nut up and deal with it.

I see the logic... Don't get me wrong. But isn't that the problem? Stepping up to some better place is fine. But stepping on to get there in obnoxious ways is inherently wrong and perpetuates the cycle of bad culture.

I see the logic... Don't get me wrong. But isn't that the problem? Stepping up to some better place is fine. But stepping on to get there in obnoxious ways is inherently wrong and perpetuates the cycle of bad culture.

I get it to. We've been telling our kids for the last 20 years that they have to get good grades and go to college, or they'll flip burgers for the rest of their lives. Now that they are done with college, we call them lazy because they refuse to flip burgers. It's not right, and it isn't fair. Sometimes though, you just gotta get over it and put in hours at a miserable job because it's the right thing to do.

I get it to. We've been telling our kids for the last 20 years that they have to get good grades and go to college, or they'll flip burgers for the rest of their lives. Now that they are done with college, we call them lazy because they refuse to flip burgers. It's not right, and it isn't fair. Sometimes though, you just gotta get over it and put in hours at a miserable job because it's the right thing to do.

Understandable. Pride go before fall.

Such is life in a service economy... The company's don't have to be dicks with culture though... It is the one thing that got us unions in the first place.

Kids graduating from college aren't flipping burgers and working in the warehouse. I know the media tells you that and trumpets a few examples because that story glues more people to the tube, but it's largely bullsh--. Only about one-third of people in the US has a college degree. A huge % of kids who start college drop out; that's a huge issue facing leaders in higher education.

The 'college isn't worth it' movement is one of the most counter-productive in recent memory. Less education will not equal more success in a global economy.

Kids graduating from college aren't flipping burgers and working in the warehouse. I know the media tells you that and trumpets a few examples because that story glues more people to the tube, but it's largely bullsh--. Only about one-third of people in the US has a college degree. A huge % of kids who start college drop out; that's a huge issue facing leaders in higher education.

The 'college isn't worth it' movement is one of the most counter-productive in recent memory. Less education will not equal more success in a global economy.

I work with a guy who has a degree from NCSU. He is working a job well below him because there are not many options available in this area. He can't afford to move out from his parents - therefore he is stuck in the area - therefore he has to work a job making about $15/hr.

So many of you think you make little making around $50k a year. Some of our temps at work at in their 50's making only $8/hr.

A neighbor of my mother's is delivering pizza's at night while he interviews during the days; been going on for about a year (BA). His wife (BA) can't afford to work like that because childcare costs more.

My sister finished off her grad about 6 months ago and hasn't been able to find a job yet.

Just two examples, and they certainly don't prove a point, but based on my personal experiences (more than those two examples, of course) I think you're underestimating the situation.

Edited by Faustus

Well considering that I graduated last year with a BA in Political Science and just recently was able to quit my job pushing carts at Walmart for something better, you might want to site some examples of your own.

Well considering that I graduated last year with a BA in Political Science and just recently was able to quit my job pushing carts at Walmart for something better, you might want to site some examples of your own.

Ex-gf is in same boat. She has been unemployed 2 years because no one in her field is hiring...anywhere, not even near here for anything similar. She is Urban Planning/GIS. The knock is that because she can't even get just a small paying job - due to overqualified - no one wants to hire someone unemployed.

Ex-gf is in same boat. She has been unemployed 2 years because no one in her field is hiring...anywhere, not even near here for anything similar. She is Urban Planning/GIS. The knock is that because she can't even get just a small paying job - due to overqualified - no one wants to hire someone unemployed.

Yep. Not enough experience for the good jobs and overqualified for the crap jobs that get you the experience for the good jobs. Hell, the good job I just got could've been had with a HS diploma, so basically, college meant nothing for me.

Yep. Not enough experience for the good jobs and overqualified for the crap jobs that get you the experience for the good jobs. Hell, the good job I just got could've been had with a HS diploma, so basically, college meant nothing for me.

The tens of thousands you spent meant something.

Seriously, enough people on here are confused that there are small town, minimum wage people out there. I make very little at what I do. I am bound by the farm I run and the time needed to run it to advance too far and get out of this area that is heavily dependent on furniture.

I work with a guy who has a degree from NCSU. He is working a job well below him because there are not many options available in this area. He can't afford to move out from his parents - therefore he is stuck in the area - therefore he has to work a job making about $15/hr.

So many of you think you make little making around $50k a year. Some of our temps at work at in their 50's making only $8/hr.

Ford pays its workers arojnd 15 bucks an hour now.

Can somebody

on a desktop

computer bump

The ShoutBox about

10 times... Damn

video is blocking

my page!

UB here, BA 1990.

I lock boats and work

swing shift... 24/7/365

Job pays

very well... Nobody

wanted this type of

job 20 years... Now

They are all beating down the door to get in... Where were the people 20 years ago? Now they slam the gov't. My advice is to go "old school." Get your foot in the door with an GOOD respectable company, stick it out, pay your dues and things will go very well... Well, I hope.

Teach her a trade

like welding.

That is in high demand!

ESPECIALLY for a chick!

Ford pays its workers arojnd 15 bucks an hour now.

Can somebody

on a desktop

computer bump

The ShoutBox about

10 times... Damn

video is blocking

my page!

UB here, BA 1990.

I lock boats and work

swing shift... 24/7/365

Job pays

very well... Nobody

wanted this type of

job 20 years... Now

They are all beating down the door to get in... Where were the people 20 years ago? Now they slam the gov't. My advice is to go "old school." Get your foot in the door with an GOOD respectable company, stick it out, pay your dues and things will go very well... Well, I hope.

Teach her a trade

like welding.

That is in high demand!

ESPECIALLY for a chick!

Smart phone in the hands

Of EII results in

Worst haiku ever.