Ryan Fitzpatrick / OC?

Most people that follow Football know that Bills starting QB Ryan Fitzpatrick almost aced the wonderlic test scoring 48 out of 50 questions correct in under 9 minutes.(leaving at least one question blank) Its also no secret to Bills fans that Fitzpatrick's a highly intelligent Harvard Grad and in all likelihood could be the smartest QB that has ever played in the NFL. Fitzy is now being mentored by (in my opinion) one of the most innovative offensive minds in the game today. What Fitzpatrick learns now and over the next few years as starting QB of the Buffalo Bills playing under HC Chan Gailey can be reapplied in the future as a coach in the National Football League.

The Buffalo Bills should be prepared to take advantage of the opportunity...

Note: Subject is off the beaten path and a little far fetched perhaps hehe, but hey, its the off season

Edited by Fig Newton

I thought I remembered him saying that he will be heading to "Wall Street" after he's done playing...

It wouldn't surprise me, but I still can't help but wonder If coaching is something Fitzpatrick may consider,

All pure speculation on my part of course....

I thought I remembered him saying that he will be heading to "Wall Street" after he's done playing...

I thought he said that's where he would've headed with all his buddies had he not been drafted, since he was a finance/economics major at.... shoot, I forgot where he went to school. Mizzou maybe?

I've heard that Harvard is the Mizzou of the Northeast, so I have no doubt Fitzpatrick has the intellect for a career on Wall Street - however, he strikes me as far to honest and ethical to be anything more than moderately successful there.

Football has already rewarded Fitz with riches far beyond what he'd earn from a career in high finance - plus, after 4 or 5 Superbowl rings with the Bills, he'll likely earn far more in the broadcast booth or in coaching...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

post-2970-038394700 1339946585_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

sure why not

just seems the better player you are the less likely you end up a coach

so for this seasons sake i hope he never coaches

Always an exception to the rule my friend! Dick Lebeau is a great DC for the Steelers and a HOF player. Jim Harbaugh was a pretty average QB, but is a great coach. His predecessor Mike Singletary was a great defensive HC, basically built that current monster D. :thumbsup:

fitz doesnt seem like a wall street kinda guy. i used to work in that area and in dc with people like that and they too often are so self absorbed and pretentious its a real turn off. not all of course but so many that its tough to deal with

tbh, i think fitz was just saying that because it sounds like the thing a harvard man is supposed to do. and thats maybe what he wanted when he left harvard, but by the time he retires he will likely have outgrown that crap anyway

i wouldnt be surprised at all if he became a coach, much less surprised than if he actually went to wall street or some other kind of environment like that

Fitz made the right choice. An undergrad degree in Economics fro Harvard doesn't get you very far on "Wall Street"--certainly not into a job that pays even a small fraction of what Fitz now makes.

But the OPs idea is intriguing. I say we hire him as OC now. He can't be worse than our current OC...

Fitz made the right choice. An undergrad degree in Economics fro Harvard doesn't get you very far on "Wall Street"--certainly not into a job that pays even a small fraction of what Fitz now makes.

But the OPs idea is intriguing. I say we hire him as OC now. He can't be worse than our current OC...

Yeah he'd be sweeping the floor at GS on third shift, eating from the dumpster behind starbucks. Sheesh.... Ugh.... The need to discredit achievement is a confounding complex of the human condition.

There are plenty of CEOs on wall street that went through Harvard undergrad along the way, some of who earn more in annual bonus that fitz will on his whole $60m contract.

Getting a Harvard degree is no more an entitlement to riches than getting drafted into the nfl. It's a great start, but is for most what you make of it....

Yeah he'd be sweeping the floor at GS on third shift, eating from the dumpster behind starbucks. Sheesh.... Ugh.... The need to discredit achievement is a confounding complex of the human condition.

There are plenty of CEOs on wall street that went through Harvard undergrad along the way, some of who earn more in annual bonus that fitz will on his whole $60m contract.

Getting a Harvard degree is no more an entitlement to riches than getting drafted into the nfl. It's a great start, but is for most what you make of it....

Not discrediting the "achievement" of his degree (although it is often said it is much harder to get into Harvard than it is to graduate from Harvard with honors). But there are a tiny number of CEOs who will earn 60 million a year in a bonus--that's just ridiculous, and beside the point. An MBA is still somewhat of a ticket to the highest paying jobs on the street. Without one form a top school (that's where the connections are made), an economics degree just won't get you anything but an entry level job (maybe) at a top financial institution. In fact, those are the guys who get laid off first by the thousands.

Put another way, the likelihood of Fitz "getting a job on Wall Street" straight out of HArvard and ever making 60 million over a career is nearly zero. He made a much better choice.

There is one thing about your post I am not 100% sold on. Sure, Fitz would likely be capable of becoming an O.C. if he so chose. But, I'm not putting Gailey in contention for "best offensive minds" in the NFL - not even in just this year's NFL.

I definitely think he's done a lot with a marginal cast - considering he turned what the previous staff had, more or less unchanged, into a pretty solid unit. However, I continually, after the mid-season mark last year, felt that Gailey was too hesitant to change his approach, which stopped working, really, after the mid-season period. It seemed like he believed he could make the system work even when the plays and players were not in actuality working. And, it seemed like a large part of the whole offensive problem was a failure to adjust to a change in personnel.

I'd say New Orleans' offense, Green Bay's, New England's, Houston's, and even the Giants offenses were better than Buffalo's. Now - I know the defining quality of those offenses that differs from ours is elite QB play, and we'll never be able to really critique Gailey for losing until he has an undeniable legit QB. If he shows this year that his offense can adjust to teams figuring him out, or even better, if our offense just blows people over, I'll admit more readily that he is one of the best O.C.'s in the NFL. But, as I see it, he's got something to prove this year.

There is one thing about your post I am not 100% sold on. Sure, Fitz would likely be capable of becoming an O.C. if he so chose. But, I'm not putting Gailey in contention for "best offensive minds" in the NFL - not even in just this year's NFL.

I definitely think he's done a lot with a marginal cast - considering he turned what the previous staff had, more or less unchanged, into a pretty solid unit. However, I continually, after the mid-season mark last year, felt that Gailey was too hesitant to change his approach, which stopped working, really, after the mid-season period. It seemed like he believed he could make the system work even when the plays and players were not in actuality working. And, it seemed like a large part of the whole offensive problem was a failure to adjust to a change in personnel.

I'd say New Orleans' offense, Green Bay's, New England's, Houston's, and even the Giants offenses were better than Buffalo's. Now - I know the defining quality of those offenses that differs from ours is elite QB play, and we'll never be able to really critique Gailey for losing until he has an undeniable legit QB. If he shows this year that his offense can adjust to teams figuring him out, or even better, if our offense just blows people over, I'll admit more readily that he is one of the best O.C.'s in the NFL. But, as I see it, he's got something to prove this year.

Do you think CJ Spiller gaining momentum at the end of the season was by accident?

Gailey can't go out on the field and snap the football properly and Chan Gailey can't play the WR position and get good separation (with speed) no more then he can make sure the footballs not overthrown to avoid an INT.

What Chan Gailey has done up to this point with his jolly band of no name misfitz is nothing short of miraculous in my opinion.

Moving the football down the field over the last few years before Gailey arrived in Buffalo was like pulling teeth...

Edited by Fig Newton

Not discrediting the "achievement" of his degree (although it is often said it is much harder to get into Harvard than it is to graduate from Harvard with honors). But there are a tiny number of CEOs who will earn 60 million a year in a bonus--that's just ridiculous, and beside the point. An MBA is still somewhat of a ticket to the highest paying jobs on the street. Without one form a top school (that's where the connections are made), an economics degree just won't get you anything but an entry level job (maybe) at a top financial institution. In fact, those are the guys who get laid off first by the thousands.

Put another way, the likelihood of Fitz "getting a job on Wall Street" straight out of HArvard and ever making 60 million over a career is nearly zero. He made a much better choice.

The likelihood of fitz getting a job in the nfl staight out of harvard and making 60 m/yr ('07&'06) or even his actual (aig ceo eqivalent) 10m/yr, is near zero. The odds of starting on an nfl team are nearer to zero than make $10m in business.

So in retrospect it worked out, a bunch of lucky breaks and outlasted lousy qb's on a struggling franchise to get his shot, but the outright dismissal of potential achievement and constant need to diminish ackolades just sounds like sour grapes or something....