Fathers day contest on BB.com

On BuffaloBills.com They have a contest to share stories about games that we have attended with our fathers or with sons. I submitted this one

I was maybe 7 years old and my dad and I were sitting in what is now the Jim Kelly Club seats outside. It was freezing out and my Dad and I were both so cold. My dad looked over into the suites inside and noticed his boss sitting inside with 2 extra seats. My dads boss came out and asked us if we wanted to come inside out of the cold. I refused because i was so afraid I wouldn't be able to see the game from inside. Finally after much coaxing, my Dad's boss convinced me to come inside by telling me he'd buy anything I wanted. So I came in and looked at all the footballs and jerseys and foam fingers but I couldn't decide what i wanted. Finally my Dad says to me, "Ok Son, what will it be?". I said "Can I have just have some french fries?" In hindsight I should have gotten a jersey and fries. (I was able to see the rest of the game happily inside and warm with my fries and my Dad)

Whats yours?

http://www.buffalobills.com/fans/contests-and-promotions/fathers-day-contest.html

My Dad brought me to my first game at the Rockpile in November 1970 - a present for my 8th birthday. It was a sunny, crisp day and our seats were a couple of rows behind the Bills bench. It was against the expansion Cincinnati Bengals. The game was close until just before the half, when OJ Simpson sustained a knee injury returning a kickoff. I remember them carrying him off the field and examining him on the bench right in front of us. Unfortunately that injury really deflated the team, and the game turned into a second half blow-out. More than 40 years later, I still have that pennant my Dad bought me.

We moved away from Buffalo for a couple of years but returned in '73, in time to go to the first preseason and regular season games at Rich Stadium, as well as the MNF games against the Raiders in '74 and Giants in '75. We moved away again in '76 and I came back on my own in '83. I became a season ticket holder in '87 and was able to start returning the favor, bringing HIM to some games including the first ever playoff game at Rich Stadium against the Oilers on New Years Day 1989, and a romp over the Steelers where rookie Don Beebe caught 4 TD passes. Unfortunately his health began failing him at that time and I don't think he attended another game.

My first game is in my sig -- I'm sure many of you remember this game.

Just me and my dad. I was 9. The funny thing is, I don't remember anything about my surroundings (in the stands, etc.) because I was so awestruck by seeing the actual Buffalo Bills field. It was a thing of beauty.

My first game is in my sig -- I'm sure many of you remember this game.

Just me and my dad. I was 9. The funny thing is, I don't remember anything about my surroundings (in the stands, etc.) because I was so awestruck by seeing the actual Buffalo Bills field. It was a thing of beauty.

Let me refresh your memory. One of THE most miserable weather games I've ever been to. It was sleeting sideways the entire game. Rich Camarillo had a punt into the wind take a U turn and end up travelling 2 yards. The poor Cards had NO IDEA how to deal with the conditions. I hope you were at the tunnel end of the stadium because every score in the game was with the wind at that end. I remember my buddy returning to our car with icicles hanging from his glasses; his only word was "GO!"

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199011110buf.htm

Weather: 37 degrees, relative humidity 66%, wind 27 mph, wind chill 25

Let me refresh your memory. One of THE most miserable weather games I've ever been to. It was sleeting sideways the entire game. Rich Camarillo had a punt into the wind take a U turn and end up travelling 2 yards. The poor Cards had NO IDEA how to deal with the conditions. I hope you were at the tunnel end of the stadium because every score in the game was with the wind at that end. I remember my buddy returning to our car with icicles hanging from his glasses; his only word was "GO!"

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199011110buf.htm

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I remember quite vividly how miserable the weather was. Didn't matter to a kid going to his first game. Nowadays, I wouldn't leave the couch.

My first game was in the mid to late 70s @ Shea Stadium. Only thing I remember was it being cold and rainy! I'm sure the Bills lost.

Better memory was 1983 @ Shea Stadium; Dad got tickets from a family friend who was a Jets season ticket holder. Two memories stayed with me about that game: the first was the cranky old man sitting next to us who was obviously perturbed that our seats where sold to Bills fans; the second was Joe Cribbs catching the GW TD pass right in front of us in the last minute. Boy was the cranky old man's day ruined!

My 1st memory of going to a Bills game with my Dad was from I think 1986 or 87, I was about 8 or 9. For the life of me, I cannot remember who we played or if we won. A bunch of my family got a big block of tickets; there were about 15 of us. Before heading into the game, my Dad and uncles started to tuck a couple of beers in their pockets. I guess I wanted to be one of the guys so I offered to put some in my pockets too. My Dad and uncles started thinking, what are the chances they check an 8 year old so they started loading me up. When it was all said and done. I had 16 cans in my pockets and another 12 in the bag I was carrying. Security never touched me. I got to sip my first beer that day. The only block of tickets that my Dad could get for that many of us together were in the 2nd to last row of the upper deck. I remember being in absolute awe when they did the flyover after the national anthem. We were so high up I swear you could count the rivets on the planes. Funny, I remember those 2 things but not who we played. I don’t think that’s the kind of story BB.com really wants to advertise so I didn’t bother entering it.

While that was my 1st memory, my fondest memories are from the 3 years that my Dad and I worked security together in the mid 90’s. He was one of the head’s of security and since he wore plain clothes, I was basically his personal security guard. He worked with the owner or the company that did security at the time so we got hooked up. We’d drive to the games together and basically got to walk around together all day. Before the game, we had to walk around to make sure everyone was in position. We’d make sure we were checking the guys on the field, right at the 35 yard line, when it was time for the opening kickoff. We would typically work our way down one sideline with the team that had the opening drive and then back down the other side once the other team took over. So we almost always saw both teams opening drives. The job also called for us to be back down on the field for the end of the game so we got to see many great finishes together. What tough times those were. The hardest part of the job was not cheering too much when we were on the field since we were "working". Getting to see the action from that close with my Dad are some memories that I will never forget.

Happy father’s day to all you Dad’s out there!!