American Competitiveness

Sorry if you already saw this stuff in my other thread and chose not to respond I'm not trying to push it more but I just think it's a bad idea to just have one thread where I post the stories that interest me...probably better to just keep the number I post down but give the ones that make the cut their own thread. Below is basically pasted from the other thread so that's why it may not make sense as an OP but it is what it is.

This is the link to the interview that prompted this topic. The video is in the link watch it and skip the majority of my post below which is summary (summary in italics).

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/04/how-to-keep-america-competitive/

On another topic.

There was an interesting study discussed at the end of GPS today done by Michael Porter (a Harvard management guy) and 71% of Harvard grads in high level decision-making positions now think American competitiveness is slipping badly. He defines competiveness in 2 ways: 1) American companies competing in international markets but 2) WHILE having an increase in American's standard of living. If our companies are competing internationally by cutting wages domestically, to Porter that is a sign that we actually are NOT competitive.

Ultimately he sees the path to prosperity being measured by increased productivity that justifies a high wage. And in this aspect, he proposes that we've dropped the ball.

The study/survey shows that not only will factories be shifted over seas continually but R&D as well (I've seen Clinton say multiple times in recent speaking engagements posted online that manufacturers increasingly want their R&D near their plants). R&D being shifted in addition to manufacturing is particularly troubling...not having workers here sucks but not having the innovation here? That is a new level of "oh ****" for us IMO.

Some reasons the majority surveyed cited for moving abroad were:

-number 1 reason was that our workers were not productive enough to justify higher wages; so moving over seas turned out to be a good deal on cost/benefit analysis

-about 30% surveyed said they COULD NOT find the skills they needed in America

His survey also asked what companies really wanted...the most common answer? Improve the quality of the domestic work force. Not taxes, not anything like that. That is particularly interesting.

He went on to say that a budding trend recently has been a bit of a turn-around in some business starting to move toward investing in domestic workforce a bit more and in some sectors bringing business activity back to teh US...a sign of businesses recognizing the tangible economic benefit from investing in what he calls "the commons."

-----------

Anyway...interesting last segment there and my damn DVR actually cut the last end of the interview off. But there was both exposure to hard truths and troubling facts in his survey but some hope buried in there as well. I think it goes without saying that if we really want to get ourselves going long-term, we are going to have to fix our education problems in this country and it is going to take some real leadership from (IMO) the Federal Government on this issue.

I would like to think the States could start improving themselves (and I'm not suggesting they aren't still primarily responsible) but the kind of comprehensive reform we need to improve the productivity of our future work force is going to take some sort of stronger effort from Washington (despite the questionable success of past programs that came from the Hill). That's my take anyway, I wouldn't be so quick to vilify efforts of the federal government to become MORE involved in our education.

Another random article I saw recently (can cannot seem to find searching now nor can I recall the exact details) had to do with an unbelievably low percentage of American teachers having been top 20% in their class when they were educated and it compared that to Japan where an unbelievably high percentage of their teachers were top 10% when they were in school (other Asian nations follow the same trend). It cited pay, private sector forces, and the status teachers have in society over there as contributing factors. It's obvious that we should all be disgusted by the way our public education system is performing worse and costing more and the teachers we DO HAVE are a part of the problem...but we should consider the TEACHERS we WANT TO HAVE when discussion things like the Wisconsin troubles IMO. We need to get our fiscal house in order but it will all be for nothing if we fall too far behind in worker productivity.

...a loosely related video concerning education (typical interview with Doc Neil who I love...)...all these things (space, education, etc) take heavy investment the way I see it there is no other way...smart investment but investment in ourselves nonetheless...and the "cross-pollination" effect makes it a great investment!

It really should be our top priority for long term prosperity in this country and not just on theory to "stay ahead" but to combat a very real problem we have RIGHT NOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JTTWSE4Qhx0

Edited by TheNewBills

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems fairly obvious in my opinion the general recipe for preserving American competitiveness involves a immediate investments (in terms of money and political capital) in education, tax reform, the formation (today) of a long-term fiscal balancing act that is sustainable as well as a long term energy policy that will sustain us (which includes transpiration development).

All obvious points, but how to implement? These are the discussions that should dominate our news cycle (not abortion, gay marriage, race, political strategy, etc). To me though, nothing trumps the value we have to offer as people. Real education reform (being the hardest of all to actually accomplish) seems to be the primary issue that we must address now to preserve our future as the obvious truth is we can't look anywhere but in the mirror if we are honest with ourselves...STEM (science, tech, engineering, mathematics) are all of primary importance that goes w/ out saying.

We must address the broken Congress (as of yesterday) if we stand any chance to remotely prioritize our true objectives. Take time now to consider your own behavior (as I have my own) in what little way it effects this systemic barrier to moving in the right direction and fight to demand better from our officials and move us in what seems to be the obvious direction we have to go. This paragraph is not meant to be a divide on political affiliation...anyone w/ a brain knows both sides are equal opportunity destroyers.

(It is 2Am and I don't have to wake up until 11AM tomorrow so I'm kind of drunk now...I say that b/c most of the time I get preachy and feel a bit awkward about drunk posts the next day even if I don't at the time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64XCksP_jJE

Edited by TheNewBills

Drunk post but informative. As I've been saying our biggest threat is debt. As Secretary Paulson said at 2:00 "We borrow too much and save too little." With private sector debt at 235% of GDP, is there any wonder why business is sitting on 2 trillion in cash?

Let's also consider that the majority of American's are attending four year colleges and universities, taking on a tremendous amount of debt, and are leaving without any knowledge or useful skills that will allow them to contribute and compete in the workforce. Many of those people should instead be learning trades. Talk to any domestic manufacturer, their biggest challenge is finding qualified people to run their equipment - and many of these jobs pay over $50,000 per year.

Edited by ACor58

Let's also consider that the majority of American's are attending four year colleges and universities, taking on a tremendous amount of debt, and are leaving without any knowledge or useful skills that will allow them to contribute and compete in the workforce. Many of those people should instead be learning trades. Talk to any domestic manufacturer, their biggest challenge is finding qualified people to run their equipment - and many of these jobs pay over $50,000 per year.

:unsure:

Drunk post but informative. As I've been saying our biggest threat is debt. As Secretary Paulson said at 2:00 "We borrow too much and save too little." With private sector debt at 235% of GDP, is there any wonder why business is sitting on 2 trillion in cash?

No doubt that it is a problem and it will be our biggest threat if we don't do something to get deficits under control long term ... but if we don't improve our workforce through education then we'll never have a shot at the kind of long-term economic success that will make paying the debt off quite easy.

If you ask a lot of those same kids in college about a job like that they'll roll their eyes then graduate and wait tables or work in sales w/ a base of 30K and incentives that max out at $45 (which they never reach)...benefits + 50K in a stable industry as a skilled worker sounds pretty good after the fact....not to mention no debt!

In any event the growing trend is linking R&D right next to those jobs. If we can improve higher education there will be more of those skilled-labor jobs anyway...but we can't reform education without looking at where our money goes (and doesn't go) and then doing something about it (SS/Medicare/Military I'm looking at you).

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/federal_budget_detail

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1258

http://www.cbpp.org/images/cms//PolicyBasic_WhereOurTaxDollarsGo-f1_rev4-2-12.jpg

(let's give that extra half-penny on our dollar to space program, let's grow the education/transportation portion of the pie and scale down defense and hopefully SS/Healthcare over time)

Edited by TheNewBills

Back at the end of last year, Barry made a few speeches about how Americans had gotten lazy. I thought that was hilarious considering his party promotes entitlements.

@ 13:43 on a Tuesday...

I thought doctors took off Wednesday's to play golf?

Laziness is across the board...

:nana: :nana: :nana:

@ 13:43 on a Tuesday...

I thought doctors took off Wednesday's to play golf?

Laziness is across the board...

:nana: :nana: :nana:

Yeah but I'm posting between cases (or at home) and I'm not sucking from the government teat.

Yeah but I'm posting between cases (or at home) and I'm not sucking from the government teat.

Some people got it good... We will call you "easy money" from now my prestigious Doc! One something on a Tuesday... That is where my 700 bucks take home pay a month that I kick into my health insurance is going... Not mention the other 60% my employer (the gov't) kicks in too...

Who's feeding off who? Seems like the doctor's are the biggest pigs at the trough... I am just a working slob that works shifts... Moves millions upon millions dollars a day... Not "between cases." LOL!

Easy money!

Now now...no need to wage war on the doctors...but no need to believe them when they say they aren't sucking of the government's giant perfect shaped breasts :)

There has always been a need to wage war on the entitled doctors and medical profession since Hippocrates... That is where we get "hypocrite" from...

Who's sucking who? Not me at on a Tuesday.

I believe they are entitled... Entitled to live like the rest of us slobs that they tell themselves they are "helping."

Fire up the hate Eric (Exiled)!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

There has always been a need to wage war on the entitled doctors and medical profession since Hippocrates... That is where we get "hypocrite" from...

Congrats............you are 100% INCORRECT.

Hypocrite has nothing to do with Hippocrates..............nor hippopotamuses, as I figure that was your next guess......

Some people got it good... We will call you "easy money" from now my prestigious Doc! One something on a Tuesday... That is where my 700 bucks take home pay a month that I kick into my health insurance is going... Not mention the other 60% my employer (the gov't) kicks in too...

Who's feeding off who? Seems like the doctor's are the biggest pigs at the trough... I am just a working slob that works shifts... Moves millions upon millions dollars a day... Not "between cases." LOL!

Easy money!

Now now...no need to wage war on the doctors...but no need to believe them when they say they aren't sucking of the government's giant perfect shaped breasts :)

I pay 100% of my health insurance and my tax dollars go towards paying me (crappily) back for services rendered to Medicare and Medicaid patients. I'm still waiting to start sucking.

Congrats............you are 100% INCORRECT.

Hypocrite has nothing to do with Hippocrates..............nor hippopotamuses, as I figure that was your next guess......

Not the first time... And not the last...That I was wrong or will be... But it does fit!

Doctors are the biggest hypocites on the planet.... Some find gov't distasteful, I find doctors distasteful.

Stop being so technical.

Not the first time... And not the last...That I was wrong or will be... But it does fit!

Doctors are the biggest hypocites on the planet.... Some find gov't distasteful, I find doctors distasteful.

Stop being so technical.

Really, doctors are the biggest hypocrites on the planet? This I gotta hear...

He pays 100% but passes the cost onto the customer/patient... How much does he make year?

Problem is, the doctors are charging disproportionally too much to live their lifestyle.

My fellow co-workers and myself pay federal taxes which in turn pays theirs and my wage... Now, I can see if my labor wasn't taxed. I pay my own wage and have a say in it just as much as other individual taxpayers.

Really, doctors are the biggest hypocrites on the planet? This I gotta hear...

Let's throw the personal numbers out there... How much do you make a year? I make 30 bucks an hour... That is chump change I suppose for some and golden to others... Why should consumers pay through the nose for over priced education, etc...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

He pays 100% but passes the cost onto the customer/patient... How much does he make year?

Problem is, the doctors are charging disproportionally too much to live their lifestyle.

My fellow co-workers and myself pay federal taxes which in turn pays theirs and my wage... Now, I can see if my labor wasn't taxed. I pay my own wage and have a say in it just as much as other individual taxpayers.

Let's throw the personal numbers out there... How much do you make a year? I make. 30 bucks an hour... That is chump change I suppose for some and golden to others... Why should consumers pay through the nose for over priced education, etc...

Go back and re-read my posts. I'll can explain them to you again, if you'd like.