Chris Kelsay

eball

Chan Gailey after day one of OTAs:

On his thoughts about DE Chris Kelsay:

"He’s a good football player. That’s the bottom line for Kelsay. He’s just a good football player. There’s going to be a three or a four man rotation in that group all year long, hopefully. Hopefully everybody stays healthy and we’ve got a great rotation going there. In my mind they’re almost all starters."

I know we've got "professional" scouts and armchair heroes of all sorts on this board, but I'll take the word of the freaking head coach. Enough already.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a good football player at LDE. No doubt in my mind. Plays physical too. He was out of position at OLB, but that wasnt his fault. I also suspect the criticism is in part due to reverse discrimination. All those hating on him yet where are all the missed tackles or other examples of poor play when he lines up at the correct position ?

foe a 33 year old guy who has never had more than 5.5 sacks in a season, people seem to act like he is the second coming of Bruce Smith

Umm, no they don't, and never have. They only react to morons who call him a piece of $chitt. Get over it.

Umm, no they don't, and never have. They only react to morons who call him a piece of $chitt. Get over it.

Ahh I second this.

Some will never be satisfied. So maybe its time to stop making posts about this topic as well so the football fans that actually DO know good football players don't have to constantly hear the bad ones repeatedly bash Kelsay.

"He’s a good football player. That’s the bottom line for Kelsay. He’s just a good football player. There’s going to be a three or a four man rotation in that group all year long, hopefully. Hopefully everybody stays healthy and we’ve got a great rotation going there. In my mind they’re almost all starters."

I know we've got "professional" scouts and armchair heroes of all sorts on this board, but I'll take the word of the freaking head coach. Enough already.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: There has been no doubt about Kelsay being a good player (never a superstar) who has consistently had the support of coaches and fellow teammates. They are the ones who know better than anyone on this board.

The 'contract' seems to have really bugged people as if it was their child's milk money but in my mind all of the players make more than guys playing a game should make and all owners make more money taking advantage of our love of sports but taking that into consideration, I want a player like Chris Kelsay on my team playing the position he is skilled at most, which isn't OLB.

I won't argue with Coach Gailey about Kelsay, he's forgotten more about football than I'll ever know. We don't have the luxury of watching and dissecting thousands of snaps to determine the quality of a player, We don't know the schemes or what a particular player is being asked to do. What we do know is that Kelsay has survived 4 different head coaches and still remains the starter. If the guy was terrible then there's no way he would have made it through all that turmoil.

I think this could be a special year for Kelsay. With Marcel, Kyle and Mario on the line, he'll have more opportunity to make plays than ever before.

Chan was just being nice. "Decent" might be a better term. You people need to have higher standards for what "good" is.

Yes, Chan is known to sugarcoat things. Go back to sleep, wampus.

One more reason to like Gailey, I completely agree.

he would not say he is good. he is above average at best.

Thanks for your in depth analysis...

One thing is for sure: Kelsay is polarizing. Half of Bills fans love him. The other half wanted him cut years ago. I don't think the fans are this split on any other player. Perhaps Fitz?

wampus, it seems clear you are on the "want him cut" half. I don't know of many Bills fans that "love" him, most who watch football objectively can respect the effort and solid, consistent play Kelsay has given us. He is by no means a sack artist, and is no pro-bowler... He is what he is, a solid, hard working, well rounded DE.

He got a bad rap as an OLB, a position he had never played, nor should have ever played. He has always been decent as a DE, nothing more, nothing less...

IMO he will be a very strong asset to this team as a rotational DE, cutting him would only make this team worse and make Ralph's family a few bucks richer.

I'm somewhere in the middle. Yes, I wanted him cut years ago, but he's still here and could be an asset this year. He always made a decent back-up for Denney. I just don't think he ever deserved to be a starter and he was slightly over-paid. I'd be fine with him as a back-up till he retires.

I won't argue with Coach Gailey about Kelsay, he's forgotten more about football than I'll ever know. We don't have the luxury of watching and dissecting thousands of snaps to determine the quality of a player, We don't know the schemes or what a particular player is being asked to do. What we do know is that Kelsay has survived 4 different head coaches and still remains the starter. If the guy was terrible then there's no way he would have made it through all that turmoil.

I think this could be a special year for Kelsay. With Marcel, Kyle and Mario on the line, he'll have more opportunity to make plays than ever before.

Honestly, I think he will generally be considered the starter at LDE being subbed out specifically in passing situations, will be good against the run (therein lies the "starter") and might have a career year for sacks (7).

EDIT: Oh, and I say that as one of the people who wanted him let go a number of times in the past.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

To all those who rip on Kelsay, let me ask: CK has been with the Bills since 2003. In that 9 years, when have you ever felt the Bills coaching staff (particularly on defense) knows what the hell they are doing?

Kelsay, like most of his teammates, has been asked to play out of position for most of his career. Somewhere along the way, Kelsay's job (which he was painfully ill-equiped for) was to drop back into pass coverage...I really don't want a defense that asks D-line men to drop into pass coverage on a regular basis...it is a recipe for a defensive disaster. I blame poor schemes on this, as much as I do the players.

Honestly, I think he will generally be considered the starter at LDE being subbed out specifically in passing situations, will be good against the run (therein lies the "starter") and might have a career year for sacks (7).

EDIT: Oh, and I say that as one of the people who wanted him let go a number of times in the past.

Now I do agree that Mario at RDE and Kelsey at LDE would probably be the best starting DE team we could field. You are wrong. Mario is LDE and will be starting there. He has said it and I tend to believe the guy that is one of the best at his position in the NFL and just switched teams making the assumption that he will be LDE.

Kelsey will be in on obvious running downs at RDE, splitting time with Mark Anderson who will be in on obvious passing Downs. My only concern is that, IF, Merriman gets healthy where he fits in. Probably RDE with Anderson and Kelsey backs up Mario.

My guess is that Anderson, Kelsey, Merriman will be moved around alot.