Going to Philly this weekend

Doc

i think pat's & geno's are 'must see' places when in philly, doesn't mean they are the best cheesesteak out there, but much like the liberty bell and the Rocky Steps, ya gotta try it to say you did it...plus the pepper bar at Pats is well worth the visit.

I don't get the Whiz thing either, but i usually do whiz wit, just just to get the full experience...

i guess when you can argue which is the better sandwich and we have had 5 or 6 places mentioned as favorites, its not a terrible problem to have. I must admit, although i've heard everyone say it, i have yet to try Jim's on South Street...usually not thinking of food when on South Street, too many other distractions like the condom store and the anarchist book store....

all this talk is making me hungry....maybe i'll do a center city pub crawl and mix in a Jim's Steak today.....Dinic's, and Jim's in the same weekend? mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

L

Pats & Geno's are by rep only. Mediocre at best, with substandard beef. ?

Alright, so we went to Philly yesterday morning. Got there a little before 9 AM so we had smooth sailing going in. Were able to see the Liberty Bell, IH and the surrounding sites, plus took the half-hour tour 15 minutes early. When we left, it was getting packed. Looked-up Reading Terminal Market and found there was $4 parking nearby, so we took the car there. Didn't find it, so I parked in a public parking ramp that charged $6 the first half hour, $6 for the 2nd half hour, and then $29 after that, up to 24 hours. Needless to say, we went to RTM and got our stuff done within the hour. I had the roast pork with provolone and "greens" at Dinic's, and the wife got in line at Carmen's for the cheesesteak. Both were really good. Would have been nice to stay a little longer. So I get to the ticket machine to pay for parking, pay the $12, and THEN notice a sign saying patrons of RTM get parking for $4 for up to 2 hours. :wallbash:

Oh well, an extra $8. No big deal. Was a nice experience and we'll have to return and take our time there and check-out the cheesesteak places you guys mentioned. Thanks for the input guys.

Cheese Wiz, Miracle Whip, I-Can't-Believe-Anyone-Thinks-This-Is-Butter, Crisco - some of the less distinguished foodstuffs brought to the world by modern science.

But some things you eat just to eat them. You shouldn't live on any of them but if you're visiting Philly and don't get a cheesesteak, you're a dolt.

Alright, so we went to Philly yesterday morning. Got there a little before 9 AM so we had smooth sailing going in. Were able to see the Liberty Bell, IH and the surrounding sites, plus took the half-hour tour 15 minutes early. When we left, it was getting packed. Looked-up Reading Terminal Market and found there was $4 parking nearby, so we took the car there. Didn't find it, so I parked in a public parking ramp that charged $6 the first half hour, $6 for the 2nd half hour, and then $29 after that, up to 24 hours. Needless to say, we went to RTM and got our stuff done within the hour. I had the roast pork with provolone and "greens" at Dinic's, and the wife got in line at Carmen's for the cheesesteak. Both were really good. Would have been nice to stay a little longer. So I get to the ticket machine to pay for parking, pay the $12, and THEN notice a sign saying patrons of RTM get parking for $4 for up to 2 hours. :wallbash:

Oh well, an extra $8. No big deal. Was a nice experience and we'll have to return and take our time there and check-out the cheesesteak places you guys mentioned. Thanks for the input guys.

Reading Terminal is awesome--you made the right choice to make the extra effort to get there. It's not on everyone's radar but it's uniquely Philly and got every food you'd want.

Reading Terminal is awesome--you made the right choice to make the extra effort to get there. It's not on everyone's radar but it's uniquely Philly and got every food you'd want.

Yeah, and I'm still pissed I didn't know about the 2 hours for $4 parking for patrons. I felt rushed the whole time, but I still enjoyed it.

I want to get a Philly cheesesteak while I'm there. What's the best place near Independence Hall? Thanks in advance.

The two most famous cheesesteak places in Philly, Pat's and Geno's, probably make the two worst steak sandwiches on planet Earth. Check out Chink's. It's where locals eat.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot