So what would happen...

It's sad there are so many losers that hope for a man's death because they think it will improve the football team they root for. Where the hell are people's priorities?

I have not seen one word written about "hoping for a man's death."

If anything, everyone wished Ralph will live another 90+ years so we know the Bills aren't going anywhere. The reason this topic is being discussed is to talk about possible options the Bills have once he does pass.

I think everyone here is respectful and grateful for Ralph, not hoping he dies. If anything, hoping he dies works against everything that we as Bills fans want.

I went though this a while back when I started a thread that if RW were to die in 2010 there would be no capital gains tax on the estate. Oh the old ladies here were wailing and crying and fainting and asking for extra hankies. "you monster! This thread sould be deleted!" Is it better to pretend Wilson is immortal?

He is going to kick, die, pass on, expire, what ever. It is not evil to talk about it.

George Steinbrenner died in 2010 when the capital gains tax on the estate was not in effect. The Yankee franchise and enterprise was passed to the family with little tax encumberance. The timing of his death from a financial standpoint (no intention of being disrespectful) was fortuitous.

I'm very confident that Ralph Wilson has established an estate plan that is good for his family.

Edited by JohnC

As disrespectful threads go, I've seen much worse than this one. The OP was just being curious. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think people in this thread are wishing for Ralph's . . . jeez, now you have to be so careful what you call it.

I'm old enough to remember when Ralph was too cheap before he brought in Saban the second time, and before he hired Chuck Knox, and before he hired Polian/Butler, and before he hired Donahoe (say what you want he spent $$$ in the Donahoe days). But he deserves thanks for keeping the team here.

Without evening reading the replies on the first page, Page 2 has me thinking that there are some very angry people on here. So let me be clear:

I am not hoping for anyone to die. I'm not wishing for anyone to die. I'm not saying "wouldn't it be great if...." (you get the idea, I hope). I'm simply curious about what would happen to a team (and staff) worth hundreds of millions of dollars if the owner, with no publicly named successor, were to pass away in the middle of a season. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Wilson; anyone who can take a massive financial gamble for what they're passionate about and stick to their guns for over 50 years is a-ok in my book. Truthfully, as bad as it would probably be from a purely sports-related perspective, I'd love to see the Bills remain under Wilson family ownership. But we've been told time and time again that it won't happen, so...eh.

I find your topic title a bit offensive and insensitive. If you HAVE to start a thread about this, couldn't you at least say "passes away" instead of kicks it or whatever. just find it very rude to Mr. Wilson. Maybe it's just me.

Its just you. Oversensitive indeed.

I'm with you on this one, Danny (ERBF)--maybe it's an ER thing! Mr. Verzella (among others) would be proud ;) ....

No, its not just him.

Agreed...these type of things have no business being discussed on a fan board. It's just disrespectfull and tasteless.

I disagree with you Armchair.

ERBF was objecting to the topic title, in particular the subtitle (if Ralph kicked it mid-season) not the topic itself. This is a subject I've given a lot of thought to and I'm sure lots of others have as well. I think it can be discussed as long as it's done in a respectful way.

I do agree that the title should have been more respectful.

Ba Ba Ba Ba Bye...

Yeah, that would be good.

Hopefully we do not have to find out.

That being said, I cannot believe that someone who has owned the Bills for over fifty years does not have a succession plan in place.

Would I love to know what that plan is, absolutely, but it is nobody's business but the Wilson Family until it happens.

Hopefully we do not have to find out.

That being said, I cannot believe that someone who has owned the Bills for over fifty years does not have a succession plan in place.

Would I love to know what that plan is, absolutely, but it is nobody's business but the Wilson Family until it happens.

If a 93 yr old out of town owner is asking for $200 million in stadium upgrades from the government it would not only be appropriate but should be mandatory that his succession plan be known.

Edited by JohnC

Without evening reading the replies on the first page, Page 2 has me thinking that there are some very angry people on here. So let me be clear:

I am not hoping for anyone to die. I'm not wishing for anyone to die. I'm not saying "wouldn't it be great if...." (you get the idea, I hope). I'm simply curious about what would happen to a team (and staff) worth hundreds of millions of dollars if the owner, with no publicly named successor, were to pass away in the middle of a season. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Wilson; anyone who can take a massive financial gamble for what they're passionate about and stick to their guns for over 50 years is a-ok in my book. Truthfully, as bad as it would probably be from a purely sports-related perspective, I'd love to see the Bills remain under Wilson family ownership. But we've been told time and time again that it won't happen, so...eh.

Not angry at all, but I do think some fans have their priorities completely out of wack. Honestly, you're not the worst offender but yes I have seen a good amount of posts hoping that RW died so the team would be out of his hands. I can never respect that. I lvoe the Bills more than anything but not that much.

As much as fans want to talk about the player being out of control, fans have gotten that way too. A black guy scores a goal, he gets n bombs thrown his way. That guy on the 49ers fumbles 2 balls and gets death threats. Obviously, it's a small minority but it's awful. And yes, there are Bills fans rooting for RW's death. and that is completely pathetic.

If a 93 yr old out of town owner is asking for $200 million in stadium upgrades from the government it would not only be appropriate but should be mandatory that his succession plan should be known.

I could see a few select state and Erie County Officials being given access to some aspects of the plan, but I doubt it is released to the public before he passes.

His estate will own the Bills, with the executor in control. (Likely his wife with attorney help, for sure) The Bills will then be disposed of per his instructions and the rules of law. It has been discussed that the Bills will be sold, and that process would take time....maybe a season or two.

show me anywhere in this thread where anyone does exactly that. Talk about seeing what you want to see instead of what's actually written.

Totally agree, nobody wished anything bad on anyone. I think it was a valid, off-season, bored, wonder what would happen type of question. I mean the guy is in his 90's, and I am sure nobody on here wants it to happen, but it certainly is a possibility. I hope Ralph is here for another 90 years, but I also hope to win the lottery this weekend.

When the owner of the team that is the whole reason for this forum is in his 90's and disappearing from public view, it's completely reasonable to to look in to what plan is in place for when that tragic day comes. I hope whatever happens, that Russ Brandon will be involved, dude seems to know what he is doing.

Many years ago I read something that said one of his daughters would fill his shoes for the remainder of the season if anything were to happen during the season.

I am a big fan of Ralph and am thankful for everything he has done for the NFL and Buffalo!

Thanks Ralph and may you have another good 20 years with us.

I could see a few select state and Erie County Officials being given access to some aspects of the plan, but I doubt it is released to the public before he passes.

Your scenario that only a few select public officials will be given access to some aspects of his estate plan is improbable and doesn't make sense. The issue of allowing a $200 million public expenditure to upgrade the antiquated stadium is going to be publicly debated not only with the public representatives and entities but also with the public at large.

I'm not suggesting that RW's will and estate plans should be exposed to anyone. That is his personal business. What needs to be done is that prior to any agreement with the public entities there needs to be knowledge of what the plans are for the franchise after his passing. If there are no assurances that the franchise will remain in the region then the public authorities have a responsibility not to sign on to any major expenditures for stadium upgrades.

How does one justify spending $200 million for a project that will from a financial standpoint benefit an out of town 93 yr old businessman for a facility that will be used for only seven regular season games a year? Even if there were guarantees that if the team was sold and then moved that the costs of the upgrade would be payed back on a pro rated basis how does one justify a $200 million project (even if reimbursed) for a white elephant stadium?

Make no mistake on what my position is. I would prefer a major stadium overhaul comparable to what was done with Arrowhead Stadium. That means the costs would be in the $300-400 million range with a reasonable contribution from the primary tenant. But that can't happen unless it was guaranteed that the Bills would remain in western NY during and after the current owner's lifetime.