Has any Defense gone with 5-2-3-1 recently?

For what it's worth, my high school team ran a 5-2-2-2

We had five down linemen, two LBs, two "inverts" and two DBs. Depending on the flow of the play, one invert moved up to play more-or-less like a LB. The other would drop back to play centerfield.

We went 8-0 and I think only gave up 2 TDs all season long running this D my junior year. My senior year, though, we went 2-6.

The 4-2-5 look could be a game-changer in the pass-happy NFL if you've got a stellar D line. It would appear the Bills now have the horses to show this look. In order to protect against the run, I'd envision Scott as one of the five DBs.

You are completely right this could revolutionize the game. Then on sure passing downs you could put all DE pass rushers in even in the tackle spots. They should have interesting names too like kikunika or drayhan or even a double hyphen thing with two first names like Peter-Phil I bet they would even be able to beat high powered passing attacks like the patriots or the packers. This would definitely win a super bowl or two.

Houston really need to consider trying this...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

This is a great thread. No doubt the defensive roster looks like it's being molded into a strong base nickel. If this defense can stop the run and rush the passer while lined up in the nickel then we might see some really special football from these guys. What I like best is that the current roster has so many players that are yet to play their best football. :beer:

The 4-2-5 look could be a game-changer in the pass-happy NFL if you've got a stellar D line. It would appear the Bills now have the horses to show this look. In order to protect against the run, I'd envision Scott as one of the five DBs.

Didn't Wanny or someone actually say this? That they'd use Scott this year as a hybrid? Maybe in something like a 4-2-5 where he could either function as a DB or LB or something in-between?

Didn't Wanny or someone actually say this? That they'd use Scott this year as a hybrid? Maybe in something like a 4-2-5 where he could either function as a DB or LB or something in-between?

Scott was a hybrid nickel backer in Jairon tampa 2.

Jeeze folks i am excited about this year too but 4-2 nickel is not a new concept nor is 4-1-6 dime (Chicagos famed 46)...

The d schene they play this year wil resemble the cowboys that beat our bills in 2 superbowls.

Basically a 5-2 is what you are describing. 5 D-line, 2 LB's, and 4 DB's. For whatever reason its hard to keep 5 D-line on the field as it opens you up to being spread out. The 5-2-3-1 basically is like committing the extra safety in the box but as a D-lineman. It could work as a wrinkle to a D particularly in the Goal line or Redzone.

But a 4-2-3-2 accomplishes a similar feat but keeps the D much less susceptible to speed.

On running downs, sure, since he's the quasi-linebacker anyway. But on passing downs, probably somebody either with more range, or more of a blitz threat that the offense has to account for.