Gilmore vs Claiborne

Gilmore physically tested better than Claiborne in every area He was faster, jumped higher, cones and shuttle time all better,Close but ....

Edge Gilmore Career Performace Wise: Claiborne has more 11 ints to Gilmore 7ints, but Gilmore has 4 Forced Fumbles to Claiborne Zero, Both have 23 Pass Deflected, But While Gilmore has 7sack and 15 tackles for loss....Claiborne has 0 zero and 2 tackles for loss .... *Note Scheme has alot to due with Sacks, Tackles for Loss and Clainborne only played really 2 year BUT He played on a better all around team, and a much better Defense ....so Slight Edge Gilmore

Overall Game Impact: I didnt watch enough of them in college to measure their overall game impact and highlights are called highlights for a reason. I Pulled Footage From 2010 Both Mostly Verse Cam Newton at Auburn and other opponents they both faced ( see Below for Videos)

If I wanted to be a complete Homer, I'd call it a Draw, but Slight Edge Claiborne.

Truth is I always thought they were very even coming into the draft, I believe LSU overall team boosted Claiborne ahead of Gilmore. But Talent-Wise, If Gilmore came out next year barring injuries he would have been likely the first DB in next years draft.

Overall im very happy with Gilmore, and time will tell who is better

Claiborne Highlights -

Stephon Gilmore -

Don't forget RON BROOKS!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!

I think you hit it on the head. I think Buddy said that is what we need to do against our division, i.e. have a BIG cover guy and a tenacious nickel to play near the line and cover shorter routes. Claiborne was responsible for long coverage while Brooks was seemingly always the guy covering h backs and blitzing. I was able to attend the LSU WVA game and the USC Vandy games last year (work is great isn't). I can say that Claiborne is a true shutdown guy in that you do not even notice the guy he is covering because he is blanketed. Gilmore didn't jump out at me but i do seem to recall his name alot on the PA system. Brooks was everywhere on ST's.

Interesting Note: Hub Arkush who owns PFW was on the local radio talking about the Bears draft ( he hated the first two picks) and said that talking to Bear and Packers scouts, the best pure cover corner in the draft was Jenkins. He said Jenkins projects to a Revis type player but faster. He rated Gilmore third best corner in the draft. FWIW

I just see alot of people questioning the Gilmore pick based on lack of knowledge, but no one would have questioned the Claiborne pick and I think Gilmore and him are very even, slight edge to Gilmore because he is a better athlete

I just see alot of people questioning the Gilmore pick based on lack of knowledge, but no one would have questioned the Claiborne pick and I think Gilmore and him are very even, slight edge to Gilmore because he is a better athlete

I questioned both, and knew quite a bit about both. Kalil dropping was my dream scenario; Obviously that was dashed. My next preference was to trade down and get Glenn, who fell way below nearly everyone's projection, and right to our lap in the second round. So I can live with the Gilmore pick. I hope he proves me wrong, and I'll happily admit it if he does. I'll be rooting for him.

BA

Claiborne played on a much much MUCH better defense then Gilmore! Yet Gilmore played great for UofSC!

Whoa, let's not get too crazy...LSU was a little better on D...check out the team defense stats for the SEC in 2011, especially pass defense:

SEC 2011 Stats

(Full disclosure: LSU did have a stronger strength of schedule and yes, I'm a South Carolina alum.)

What I like is the forced fumbles and that he can tackle! Definetly a great prospect

[/quote

Gilmore can definitely tackle. He got beat a few times on long balls, but like another Carolina guy said on this board, he should have had help over the top. Our safeties were inexperienced. The only other "flaw" was he seemingly got beat on every jump ball situation. He was there, timed his jump perfectly, but somehow the wide receiver almost always out-muscled him for the ball. Guessing that can be coached up...

Couldn't ask for a better character guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills had Gilmore graded higher. Claiborne may have 4 more interceptions, but remember, teams don't tend to throw to the side that a very good CB is playing.

The 4 forced fumbles is also telling. Nix wanted a BIG CB that could cover bigger WR's and also help with the run game. And Gilmore is clearly better in the run game than Claiborne.

Whoa, let's not get too crazy...LSU was a little better on D...check out the team defense stats for the SEC in 2011, especially pass defense:

SEC 2011 Stats

(Full disclosure: LSU did have a stronger strength of schedule and yes, I'm a South Carolina alum.)

South Carolina gave up 8 more points per game than LSU. That's a large statistical difference. In the NFL, that would be the difference between the Steelers defense and the Cardinals defense.

And no one thinks the Steelers are "a little better" than the Cardinals.

I was not a fan so much when we picked him. Then i spent some more time looking in on the kid.

Couldn't ask for a better character guy.

But he has the attitude and the raw skills that give him solid upside and good ceiling or better. we are getting corners that will play the run game very well and will press and run with em too. With Coaching both A. Williams and S.Gilmore are going to be quite a tandem to reckon with. McGee and Florence are possibly great mentors of the game of corner back. With PFF rating J.Byrd as high as we consider him already we know we have that position nailed down. and the Senator playing very strong with a nice back up in Searcy we look ready at our secondary.

Gilmore is in the right place at the right time. I have high hopes for him long term as a Bill.

H e may well turn out to be an excellent pick and at just the right time for us.

I didn't like when Claiborne scored 4 on the Wonderlic and said he blew it off because it had nothing to do with football. I believe his score was the lowest ever for a NFL player. In other words, he had the crappiest attitude about NFL testing in the history of these things. I prefer a player who says, "I'll do whatever you ask me to do."

I wonder what kind of locker room guy Claiborne will be and whether or not he'll blow off his coaches when he - in all his blooming immaturity - thinks the coach is wrong.

Regardless of the slight differences in stats and athleticism, I'm happy with Gilmore.

I didn't like when Claiborne scored 4 on the Wonderlic and said he blew it off because it had nothing to do with football. I believe his score was the lowest ever for a NFL player. In other words, he had the crappiest attitude about NFL testing in the history of these things. I prefer a player who says, "I'll do whatever you ask me to do."

I wonder what kind of locker room guy Claiborne will be and whether or not he'll blow off his coaches when he - in all his blooming immaturity - thinks the coach is wrong.

Regardless of the slight differences in stats and athleticism, I'm happy with Gilmore.

Tests suck when you can't read. Despite my earlier joke, honestly not trying to bag him with that comment- he should have never sat for the test.