Feds seek ban on cell use while driving

Wrong. I'm a very good driver and always aware if my surroundings. However I KNOW I'm distracted when I'm on my phone. When you're talking on your phone you are focused on the person on the other end not the road. It's just the way the brain works.

Having said that a federal law is not the way to go.

You're wrong too. I can drive with one finger but I'm distracted when on a hand free device.

Do you listen to the radio when you drive, do you find at times you talk to yourself or think things over in your mind?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you listen to the radio when you drive, do you find at times you talk to yourself or think things over in your mind?

Not the same thing at all. Music is background "noise" that doesn't take your mind away from the taske of driving. Talking to a person not in your car does. Pay attention to that next time you're in your phone in your car.

Your examples are stupid.

Not the same thing at all. Music is background "noise" that doesn't take your mind away from the taske of driving. Talking to a person not in your car does. Pay attention to that next time you're in your phone in your car.

Your examples are stupid.

Matter of opinion. I think your reply is stupid. Depends on where you level of concetration or focus is. So if we are now done insulting each others examples or opinions perhaps we can be grown up enough to respect or properly reply to others opinions.

Matter of opinion. I think your reply is stupid. Depends on where you level of concetration or focus is. So if we are now done insulting each others examples or opinions perhaps we can be grown up enough to respect or properly reply to others opinions.

Actually, it's only a matter of opinion in the sense that some people seem to have a distorted sense of their ability to drive while texting or talking on a cell phone, hands-free or otherwise.

Conclusions

From the results of the study that has been described in this report, the following conclusions may be offered.

1. All forms of cellular phone usage lead to significant increases in the establishment of non-response to highway-traffic situations and increase in time to respond.

2. Complex, intense conversation leads to the greatest increases in likelihood of overlooking significant highway traffic conditions, and the time to respond to them. The distracting effect is similar to that of tuning a radio. The effect of placing calls or engaging in casual conversation is less of a problem, although, calling tends to retard responses.

3. The distracting effect of cellular phone use among drivers over age 50 is two- to three-times as great as that of younger drivers and encompasses all three aspects of cellular phone use - placing calls and carrying on simple and complex conversations. The effect is to increase non-response by 33-38%.

4. Prior experience with cellular phones appears to bear no relation to the distracting effect of cellular phone use.

http://www.aaafounda...utton=cellphone

Despite your perception of your ability to drive while engaging in such activities, you are no different than anyone else.

You are not a special snowflake.

Edited by Gene Frenkle

I think he might be misunderstanding you. Talking to a person in your car, listening to the radio is not the same as texting where you have to take your eyes off the road.

I think he might be misunderstanding you. Talking to a person in your car, listening to the radio is not the same as texting where you have to take your eyes off the road.

That is exactly what I was getting at. I am not the best at wording things properly so people understand. i often am too lengthy. Thank you for your insight.

In proper context of this board, it's idiotic to claim that talking on a cellphone does not impair driving ability. But the discussion should be is it more harmful than other distractions for the driver?

Personally I think that all new tech gadgets and menus or selection screens that are popping up on dashboards are far worse.

Edited by GG

Your opinion is not only stupid it's wrong. Studies prove that. And if you're offended by people calling your opinions stupid I suggest you not post here.

I did not misunderstand him. He replied to my post about hands free devices. So that is talking on the phone not texting.

Edited by Chef Jim

Actually, it's only a matter of opinion in the sense that some people seem to have a distorted sense of their ability to drive while texting or talking on a cell phone, hands-free or otherwise.

Despite your perception of your ability to drive while engaging in such activities, you are no different than anyone else.

Gene, Gene, Gene. All snowflakes are special--no two alike. Just like no two humans are exactly alike. Now as far as flakes go, there are several here on PPP that certainly seem alike.

A ban on cell phone use while driving is not something the federal government should stick their noses into. I'm sure that the danger is completely different driving on a rural highway in Montana than on the Beltway at rush hour. It needs to be left up to the municipalities or at the worst case, the states.

Gene, Gene, Gene. All snowflakes are special--no two alike. Just like no two humans are exactly alike. Now as far as flakes go, there are several here on PPP that certainly seem alike.

A ban on cell phone use while driving is not something the federal government should stick their noses into. I'm sure that the danger is completely different driving on a rural highway in Montana than on the Beltway at rush hour. It needs to be left up to the municipalities or at the worst case, the states.

So you're suggesting every municipality have their own rules regarding this? Holy **** dude, that would be nuts.

So you're suggesting every municipality have their own rules regarding this? Holy **** dude, that would be nuts.

It's being done now. Again, it's completely different in different areas of the country or even in different areas within a state. You can't tell me that the danger is the same in Las Vegas as it is out in the desert?

From everything I've seen or heard, the problem isn't "people talking on the phone while driving." The problem is people prioritizing the phone call over driving. My wife was actually rear-ended by someone who, when the police responded and tried to take that person's statement, told them "Excuse me, can't you see I'm on the phone!" (Yes, the dumb B word was arrested for hindering an investigation.) On the other hand, I know people who drive very well while talking on the phone...but they're almost impossible to speak with while they're driving, because all their attention is on the road and they're paying absolutely no attention to the phone call.

Bottom line: if you're driving, the car comes first. Period. If the call is so important that you absolutely have to devote significant attention to the call, pull over. That's what I do...which, I believe, does make me a special snowflake.

In proper context of this board, it's idiotic to claim that talking on a cellphone does not impair driving ability. But the discussion should be is it more harmful than other distractions for the driver?

Personally I think that all new tech gadgets and menus or selection screens that are popping up on dashboards are far worse.

Starting with the Chevy Cruze, all GM models will soon let you update your Facebook status while driving via OnStar.

Which may very well be the absolute stupidest thing I've ever seen added to a car.

Having said that a federal law is not the way to go.

Except that, since people do sometimes cross state borders while talking on the phone, it's a federal issue of "regulating interstate commerce." :w00t:

How many posts until someone starts bitching about how much this would cost and how it would all be a waste of money.

I guess if you really want to send your car out for a drive without you that's your prerogative. Not sure how that fits into your nanny state liberal agenda though. Is this about vehicle rights? I think it's a travesty to dirty up the environment for no practical benefits. You sound like one of those Wall Street Occupiers with the liberal agenda wanting to get something for nothing, but leaving an environmental mess after every indignant protest.

You are either a "denier", neocon, birther, Trayvon enemy or a racist.

Tayvon enemy is the only thing on your list that I have not been accused of. Not because I am any of the other four but because that's the only rebuttal to my positions that they could come up with