Carrington to the inside?

cage

Well, he was hurt. Wound up needing surgery. So I think it's too early to say. If he's healthy, there's no reason to believe he won't be given every opportunity to compete for a backup DT spot.

I hope he proves something in preseason, but currently I'd place Carrington, Heard and Edwards ahead of him talent-wise.

I hope he proves something in preseason, but currently I'd place Carrington, Heard and Edwards ahead of him talent-wise.

Not to mention that he packed on 11 pounds to play the 3-4 nose. Will he take it back off to play the 4-3?

Carrington played DE in 4 man fronts last year.

I do not see why they are moving him.

I also thought that in the move to 3-4, Kelsey should have gone back to his combine weight and played DE.

From Buddy's comments, I think the Bills want to go with Williams/Anderson/Kelsey/Merriman as their 4 man rotation at end. If someone gets injured, Carrington may go back to end.

We have Troupe, Heard, and Spencer backing up the inside. Carrington is perfectly sized for a 4-3 DE and will compete against Mark Anderson and Merriman for the end spot on first and second downs. Maybe all three downs because in our division NE and Jets go no huddle a lot which makes substitutions tough.

That's the problem with situational pass rushers, you can't always get them in when you want to without burning a timeout.

I don't see us spending $27M on Anderson to have him sit, and Kelsay looks like the odd man out right now. Too slow for 43 LB, too many pass rushers ahead of him to be anything but a backup this year until one of our DE's goes down. I think they will bulk him up to 275ish, he has the frame for it and he won't be dropping in coverage.

I also see Dwan Edwards as still being involved, he had a good season last year and buddy loves to keep the big strong dudes around.

We have Troupe, Heard, and Spencer backing up the inside. Carrington is perfectly sized for a 4-3 DE and will compete against Mark Anderson and Merriman for the end spot on first and second downs. Maybe all three downs because in our division NE and Jets go no huddle a lot which makes substitutions tough.

That's the problem with situational pass rushers, you can't always get them in when you want to without burning a timeout.

I don't see us spending $27M on Anderson to have him sit, and Kelsay looks like the odd man out right now. Too slow for 43 LB, too many pass rushers ahead of him to be anything but a backup this year until one of our DE's goes down. I think they will bulk him up to 275ish, he has the frame for it and he won't be dropping in coverage.

I also see Dwan Edwards as still being involved, he had a good season last year and buddy loves to keep the big strong dudes around.

$3M for a backup DT?

If you look at what they did in free agency, it supports the conclusion the Bills are going to the Miami 4-3 over defense under Wannstedt. So, getting smaller guys that can run on the field will fit the Newest Plan perfectly. Guys that were playing OLB or DE in the Edwards "Jumbo Hybrid" scheme could definitely be asked to move inside and the Mega-men that played on the inside might be looking for work with teams that actually run a 3-4 defense... Carrington moving inside makes sense, actually.

You neglect to mention Spencer Johnson...With a move back to the 4-3 (as a base, not just a set) Johnson's stock rises. That's where he had his best seasons in Minnesota, rotating with the Williams'. I think this puts him back in the mix as the #1 back up @ DT. Troop needs to prove something, big time, or he's a goner. I really like Heard and have always liked Carrington, even more so @ 305lbs. He didn't seem to lose a step with putting 20lbs. since he was drafted.

The way I see it is Troop and Edwards being on the bubble. As Edwards is a true 3-4 DE, he's looking like he has the shortest leash, IMHO.

Williams, Dareus, Johnson, Heard & Carrington...if we keep 5, but Johnson and Carrington provide flexibility as gap fillers @ DE too. Also, any development out of Jasper remains to be seen...just sayn'.

Anderson's contract is actually $19 million, not 27. That initial report was erroneous.

You neglect to mention Spencer Johnson...With a move back to the 4-3 (as a base, not just a set) Johnson's stock rises. That's where he had his best seasons in Minnesota, rotating with the Williams'. I think this puts him back in the mix as the #1 back up @ DT. Troop needs to prove something, big time, or he's a goner. I really like Heard and have always liked Carrington, even more so @ 305lbs. He didn't seem to lose a step with putting 20lbs. since he was drafted.

The way I see it is Troop and Edwards being on the bubble. As Edwards is a true 3-4 DE, he's looking like he has the shortest leash, IMHO.

Williams, Dareus, Johnson, Heard & Carrington...if we keep 5, but Johnson and Carrington provide flexibility as gap fillers @ DE too. Also, any development out of Jasper remains to be seen...just sayn'.

He was moved to the o-line later last season.

Funny how some continue to want to see Troupe cast off cause he was a second round pick, but drool over Jasper because he is a huge guy with less talent/experience (at this time) and was drafted in the 7th

Armchair GM, Jasper is listed as a OG now. I'm guessing his time as a defender is done. He looked horrible trying yo get leverage last year when he played/practiced. I'm thinking it will be another year of him on the practice squad with a possibility of him moving up this year if injuries mount up on the OL again.

Last season he played at 305 and was able to handle the weight perfectly fine. It allows the the ends to be Williams, Kelsay, Anderson and Merriman, and gives the Bills an option to draft possibly one more for depth.

IMO, moving in side helps A LOT with depth inside. It also allows us to possibly get rid of Dwan Edwards, who may not work out in a 4-3. So the insides would be Dareus, Williams, Johnson, Heard, Carrington and Troup. Their is multiple options with these guys to effectively stop the run or pass and not see too much of a drop off in production.

its been my opinion that heard and troupe are less a fit in the 4-3

I'm not sure if you realize this but edwards played DT over johnson last year in 4 man fronts. It is because he is way better than johnson at DT