Two New O-Linemen - same old result

San-O

I really hate to keep on about this, but where are all the "McNally is going

work wonders" posters.

No touchdowns in three pre-season games from starting unit. That is not a good

sign. I tend to agree with Tony Bogyo's article where he essentially feels we

are in for the same type off offensive production this year. That fact that we are

down both backups is also not a good sign. The Statue is going to get killed and

that will be that.

work wonders" posters.

No touchdowns in three pre-season games from starting unit.  That is not a good

sign.  I tend to agree with Tony Bogyo's article where he essentially feels we

are in for the same type off offensive production this year.  That fact that we are

down both backups is also not a good sign.  The Statue is going to get killed and

that will be that.

13227[/snapback]

Maybe I'd be worried, but it's only preseason. Moulds was interviewed on the sidelines of the Colts game, and they asked him about that. He didn't look the least bit worried and he said, "We're not running anything that we do in practice here. There's no gameplanning or anything. Don't worry about it." That's good enough for me.

CW

Can't you count MaGahee's rushing TD as first unit?  I think this line will do very well in the running game once they have some time together as a unit.  It is the passing game that scares me.  I still see us running the ball over Williams and Villareal successfully.

13236[/snapback]

If I recall correctly, last year we ran the ball quite well but rarely scored TD's and didn't throw the pigskin very well either.

DB got killed in the pocket because there was a lack of pass rush from the front five.

I hope it isn't the same ol' same ol'.

If I recall correctly, last year we ran the ball quite well but rarely scored TD's and didn't throw the pigskin very well either. 

DB got killed in the pocket because there was a lack of pass rush from the front five.

I hope it isn't the same ol' same ol'.

13351[/snapback]

True, but our coach and OC seemed to stop running the ball when we got close to the goal line last year. Hopefully the running game can keep the pass rush off a bit more but you never know. Losman will help out the O-line when he finally takes over the job but that is at least a year away. My fingers are crossed going into week one full of optimism....

Denver: Pucillo at LG, M. Price at RT.

Tennessee: current starting 5.

Indy: Sullivan at LT.

So, since the alleged "starting unit" has actually only started one of the three games, let's look at their playing time in that Tennessee game a little closer (although even that is skewed somewhat, since L. Smith and Tucker split time at LG).....

Drive 1:

Henry 2yds, Henry 4yds, DB-to-EM 7yds, Henry 22yds, DB-EM 35yds. 1st-and-10 at TEN 18, DB-EM 7yds, stupid PF on Shelton makes it 2nd-and-18. DB-JR 11yds, 3rd and 7 at the 15. Henry fumble on fake reverse (recovered by MW), FG.

Drive 2: 3-and-out. MW whiff on 1st down, TH -5yds; screen to Evans, no gain (missed block by Campbell on the outside); screen to Henry, 3yds.

Drive 3: Tucker in at LG. Henry 4yds; TEN penalty, Henry no gain; DB incomplete. TEN offsides=1st down. Incomplete (another MW whiff, the play TH got hurt on), McGahee 11yds, 1st-and-goal at the 6. WM no gain, DB to Campbell 4 yds, 3rd-and-goal at the 2. Bledsoe trip/grounding (threw ball away after 5 seconds on game clock), FG.

Drive 4: 1st-and-goal at the 5 after McGee return. Brown in at QB, 2nd-string WR/TE, but the first-team line is still in there, as is the TEN first-string D. WM 2yds, WM 3yds-TD.

Four first-half drives. Three scores - 2 FG, 1 TD (albeit on a very short field). Two bad plays by MW, in his first action of the preseason. Two badly-executed - and somewhat questionable - playcalls on 3rd downs inside the TEN 20 (fake reverse, play-action on 3rd-and-goal from the 2).

Stats from those drives:

Henry: 7-27 yds, 3.9 ypc, 0 TD

McGahee 4-16 yds, 4.0 ypc, 1 TD

Bledsoe 7-10, 67 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 0 sacks.

That's one TD, 13 points total, in one half of a preseason game.

....and that makes one more offensive TD than in 7 GAMES last year; the 13 points ties or beats *8* games. And the 0 sacks on Bledsoe only happened once last season, vs. Jacksonville.

Same ol same ol? <_<

....and that makes one more offensive TD than in 7 GAMES last year; the 13 points ties or beats *8* games. And the 0 sacks on Bledsoe only happened once last season, vs. Jacksonville.

Same ol same ol? :doh:

13373[/snapback]

Dear oh dear. Detailed analysis on what really has happened on the field so far. You know that the billsfanone sages are going to give some you abuse on this don't you? How dare you point out any possible flaws in their arguments! <_<

Seriously though, thanks for the info, and since that game both MW and TT have improved their play (IMHO), I think (and sincerely hope) that the line will be fine this season now that the two major problems (Pucillo and Gilbride's 'gameplans') have been removed.

The starting O-Line really hasn't played together yet in pre-season due to little injuries or MW slow start.

IMHO I wouldn't make that conclusion just yet.

13267[/snapback]

I agree, and with a new OL coach, Im sure they have changed some of their technique from last yr....OL is one of the last components of a team to jell...lets hope they get healthy and are productive when the season counts the most...from october on...not in August

Denver: Pucillo at LG, M. Price at RT.

Tennessee: current starting 5.

Indy: Sullivan at LT.

So, since the alleged "starting unit" has actually only started one of the three games, let's look at their playing time in that Tennessee game a little closer (although even that is skewed somewhat, since L. Smith and Tucker split time at LG).....

Drive 1:

Henry 2yds, Henry 4yds, DB-to-EM 7yds, Henry 22yds, DB-EM 35yds. 1st-and-10 at TEN 18, DB-EM 7yds, stupid PF on Shelton makes it 2nd-and-18. DB-JR 11yds, 3rd and 7 at the 15. Henry fumble on fake reverse (recovered by MW), FG.

Drive 2: 3-and-out. MW whiff on 1st down, TH -5yds; screen to Evans, no gain (missed block by Campbell on the outside); screen to Henry, 3yds.

Drive 3: Tucker in at LG. Henry 4yds; TEN penalty, Henry no gain; DB incomplete. TEN offsides=1st down. Incomplete (another MW whiff, the play TH got hurt on), McGahee 11yds, 1st-and-goal at the 6. WM no gain, DB to Campbell 4 yds, 3rd-and-goal at the 2. Bledsoe trip/grounding (threw ball away after 5 seconds on game clock), FG.

Drive 4: 1st-and-goal at the 5 after McGee return. Brown in at QB, 2nd-string WR/TE, but the first-team line is still in there, as is the TEN first-string D. WM 2yds, WM 3yds-TD.

Four first-half drives. Three scores - 2 FG, 1 TD (albeit on a very short field). Two bad plays by MW, in his first action of the preseason. Two badly-executed - and somewhat questionable - playcalls on 3rd downs inside the TEN 20 (fake reverse, play-action on 3rd-and-goal from the 2).

Stats from those drives:

Henry: 7-27 yds, 3.9 ypc, 0 TD

McGahee 4-16 yds, 4.0 ypc, 1 TD

Bledsoe 7-10, 67 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 0 sacks.

Same ol same ol? <_<

13373[/snapback]

Wow, that makes me fell a lot better. You are really spinning this thing hard.

When I say "starting unit", I mean the overall starting unit, as opposed to the

second or third team units.

Wow,  that makes me fell a lot better.  You are really spinning this thing hard.

When I say "starting unit", I mean the overall starting unit, as opposed to the

second or third team units.

13462[/snapback]

Well then, if you mean the entire "starting unit", then they have played a grand total of 11 plays together - the first two drives of the Titans game. Think that's a valid statistical sample to extrapolate an entire 16-game season from? I don't.

Spin that.

Well then, if you mean the entire "starting unit", then they have played a grand total of 11 plays together - the first two drives of the Titans game. Think that's a valid statistical sample to extrapolate an entire 16-game season from? I don't.

Spin that.

14081[/snapback]

LOL Lori - you da man! :unsure: If you pardon the expression...

So-Cal... back down buddy - this is one argument you just cannot win...

The starting unit will not play together... until they start on the first week of the season. There's little to assess and extrapolate into a season prediction at this stage. Don't forget there is still 1 preseason game to go... so stuff can get worked out.. Chill mate. B)

Lori - I've been posting/lurking here a long time (1998), but always as a non-registered puke. Through the years you've become my number one poster. Why? Because you think, you post facts to supprt your thoughts and you're succinct about the way you do it. Excellent analysis. I wish more posters would take the time to research their information before they let adrenilin move their lips (or fingers in this case) in a random non-sensical way.

Keep up the good posts :unsure:

work wonders" posters.

No touchdowns in three pre-season games from starting unit.  That is not a good

sign.  I tend to agree with Tony Bogyo's article where he essentially feels we

are in for the same type off offensive production this year.  That fact that we are

down both backups is also not a good sign.  The Statue is going to get killed and

that will be that.

13227[/snapback]

JMac was pretty clear about saying that he was no miracle worker. I think it is more than OK for fans to be hopeful and even outrageous about their hopes (after all, we're just fans) but it is clear from any rational perspective (we fans don't have to be rational at all) that we likely have a long slog ahead of us in terms of OL improvement.

Vinky and Ruel were so bad that things can get much better in terms of OL performance and it still will be true that OL performance is inadequate. i shudder to think how bad it would be with all the OL injuries if we had the same old not-ready-for-primetime OL coaches.

Spin that.

14081[/snapback]

Actually darling, the 2003 Buffalo Bills offense would be the "control group"

having an entire season of production. A valid statistical sample. The 2004

preseason offense would be the "experimental group". Less information to work

with and not an actual experiment.

The experimental group is compared to the control group when analyzing data.

Dr. SoCal-Surf says: No improvement noted to date.

Extrapolate that.

Actually darling, the 2003 Buffalo Bills offense would be the "control group"

having an entire season of production.  A valid statistical sample.  The 2004

preseason offense would be the "experimental group".  Less information to work

with and not an actual experiment.

The experimental group is compared to the control group when analyzing data.

Dr. SoCal-Surf says:  No improvement noted to date. 

Extrapolate that.

14421[/snapback]

Actually, assclown, with your theory, there is NO comparison possible for Dr. SoCal-Surf to even postulate, since no experimental group would have time to have valid statistical data. Lori, the certified genius, worked with the only numbers available to her according to the theory provided by the mad doctor.

So fukk that.

Actually, assclown, with your theory, there is NO comparison possible for Dr. SoCal-Surf to even postulate, since no experimental group would have time to have valid statistical data. Lori, the certified genius, worked with the only numbers available to her according to the theory provided by the mad doctor.

So fukk that.

14478[/snapback]

I think I mentioned that assclown2: "The 2004 preseason offense would be the "experimental group". Less information to work

with and not an actual experiment."

Let's try and keep your oral fixation issues out of the posts, OK?

the only "CONSTANTS" in terms of the 1st team these first 3 preseason games have been...

Bledsoe

Campbell

Teague

Moulds

The other seven positions have had at least one different starter each game. So, if you're going to point fingers, you have to point at one (or all) of the above. I know whre I'd start, but you already know... so 'nuff' said.