The Needs and the Candidates

The Bills have significantly upgraded their talent-base this off-season with the addition of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson as pass-rushers. Along with the expected return of Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus heading into his 2nd year, I think the DL is in good shape and the pass rush will be MUCH improved.

Befitting of a team with a losing record last year, they still have a lot of needs. In my opinion, the needs are (not in order): LT, WR, CB, LB. Unfortunately, the George Edwards 3-4 experiment put them behind the 8-ball. They drafted heavily for a 3-4 defense and it isn't totally clear whether Troupe, Carrington and Sheppard truly fit a 4-3 that Wanny will run.

The following candidate "fit the need" according to what I've read.

LT:

Cordy Glenn: There is no doubt that he is huge and athletic. There is question whether he can play LT, RT or G in the NFL. Early on (when the scouts who watched his college games weighed in), he was considered a RT/G candidate. Unless Kalil falls to 10 (Unlikely), there is little to like (imho).

Riley Reiff: Almost universally now, a stretch for a LT and questionable player at RT.

At WR:

Justin blackmon: There is little question that he had great production against very good competition. However, he isn't as big as many thought and he isn't particularly fast. If he is Keyshawn Johnson, is he worth the 10th pick? WRT Floyd, if the front-office is convinced his 3 years worth of alcohol problems are in the past, then he is probably worth the 10th pick.

At CB:

It seems a sure bet that Morris Claiborne will be gone. I think that Janoris Jenkins is a bad idea and I worry about Dre Kirkpatrick due to off-field problems. Sheppard is clean off-field and athletic, but has holes in his game. He has been pushed up draft boards because Janoris Jenkins is a total terd. I think that 10 is a very big reach for him.

LB:

EVERY trusted source (IMHO) has Kuechly as a safe and very effective pick. Now, I agree that a non-passrushing LB is hard to pick at 10. However, if the Bills think he can help cover Hernandez and Gronkowski, then I think he is worth the pick. I think that Hightower and Upshaw don't fit in the 4-3.

At positions of lesser need (and highly rated players):

S: They have Byrd and Wilson with Searcy in resereve, but Wilson is 31 and Barron is highly rated.

DT: They have Dareus who had a good rookie season and Kyle Williams coming off injury. In reserve they have the oft-injured Troup and Carrington along with Spencer Johnson. Fletcher Cox has "risen" and Dontari Poe is an athletic freak. If they think either is a long-term answer at DT, it might be the surprise pick.

DE: I personally like everything that I've read about Melvin Ingram, however the Bills seem set for the short-term there with Williams, Anderson and Kelsay.

QB: Fitz is a fan-favorite and an extremely smart player. If Tannehill is available, there isn't a strong argument against him (IMHO).

It is a crap-shoot, in my opinion. To me, the safest pick to provide help is Luke Kuechly followed closely by Michael Floyd and Mark Barron.

I really wouldn't be too surprised if we drafted a DE early.

Especially the versatile ones who played DE/LB! :thumbsup: That's why Melvin Ingram is still as possibility.

Also

DE/OLB Whitney Mercilus – Illinois----LATE FIRST

DE/OLB Shea McClellin – Boise St.-----ROUND 2-3

OLB/DE Bruce Irvin – West Virginia----ROUND 2-3

The Bills have significantly upgraded their talent-base this off-season with the addition of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson as pass-rushers. Along with the expected return of Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus heading into his 2nd year, I think the DL is in good shape and the pass rush will be MUCH improved.

Befitting of a team with a losing record last year, they still have a lot of needs. In my opinion, the needs are (not in order): LT, WR, CB, LB. Unfortunately, the George Edwards 3-4 experiment put them behind the 8-ball. They drafted heavily for a 3-4 defense and it isn't totally clear whether Troupe, Carrington and Sheppard truly fit a 4-3 that Wanny will run.

The following candidate "fit the need" according to what I've read.

LT:

Cordy Glenn: There is no doubt that he is huge and athletic. There is question whether he can play LT, RT or G in the NFL. Early on (when the scouts who watched his college games weighed in), he was considered a RT/G candidate. Unless Kalil falls to 10 (Unlikely), there is little to like (imho).

Riley Reiff: Almost universally now, a stretch for a LT and questionable player at RT.

At WR:

Justin blackmon: There is little question that he had great production against very good competition. However, he isn't as big as many thought and he isn't particularly fast. If he is Keyshawn Johnson, is he worth the 10th pick? WRT Floyd, if the front-office is convinced his 3 years worth of alcohol problems are in the past, then he is probably worth the 10th pick.

At CB:

It seems a sure bet that Morris Claiborne will be gone. I think that Janoris Jenkins is a bad idea and I worry about Dre Kirkpatrick due to off-field problems. Sheppard is clean off-field and athletic, but has holes in his game. He has been pushed up draft boards because Janoris Jenkins is a total terd. I think that 10 is a very big reach for him.

LB:

EVERY trusted source (IMHO) has Kuechly as a safe and very effective pick. Now, I agree that a non-passrushing LB is hard to pick at 10. However, if the Bills think he can help cover Hernandez and Gronkowski, then I think he is worth the pick. I think that Hightower and Upshaw don't fit in the 4-3.

At positions of lesser need (and highly rated players):

S: They have Byrd and Wilson with Searcy in resereve, but Wilson is 31 and Barron is highly rated.

DT: They have Dareus who had a good rookie season and Kyle Williams coming off injury. In reserve they have the oft-injured Troup and Carrington along with Spencer Johnson. Fletcher Cox has "risen" and Dontari Poe is an athletic freak. If they think either is a long-term answer at DT, it might be the surprise pick.

DE: I personally like everything that I've read about Melvin Ingram, however the Bills seem set for the short-term there with Williams, Anderson and Kelsay.

QB: Fitz is a fan-favorite and an extremely smart player. If Tannehill is available, there isn't a strong argument against him (IMHO).

It is a crap-shoot, in my opinion. To me, the safest pick to provide help is Luke Kuechly followed closely by Michael Floyd and Mark Barron.

6'1 and a 4.46 40. He's plenty fast. He is nothing like Keyshawn. You're right though, Keuchy is prob the safest pick.

interesting you completely gloss over Gilmore at CB at the 10 spot, he is who I THINK we draft...who I want, is Kuechly (and would be happy with Floyd or Gilmore)

You're right. I wrote Sheppard when I meant Gilmore - not even sure where that came from. (After 25 years of following the draft closely, sometimes names run together). At any rate, Gilmore scares me a bit in that he might be the 4th rated CB behind Claiborne, Jenkins and Kirkpatrick, but he is being elevated above Jenkins and Kirkpatrick because he doesn't have the off-field red-flags. He is big and fast, but there are some that think he isn't as good in coverage as advertised - but that he does have potential to get there.

I feel like I read that Wanny plays a zone based coverage scheme for the DBs, which means I want guys with ball skills and instincts to make quick diagnosis of plays and then PBUs or INTs. If thats the case, then I am all about getting Gilmore at 10 because, IMO, he and Williams with Florence, McKelvin and McGee would be nearly impossible to pass against, and that isn't even mentioning Wilson, Byrd and Rogers (Who showed flashes last year).

I still think the most talented guy on the board at 10 will be Floyd, but the closer we get to Thursday, the less likely I am convinced it will be Floyd that Nix selects. I think it will come down to Kuechly or Gilmore, and from there it will be based on their evaluations of Kirk Morrison, Kelvin Sheppard, and Terrence McGee.

Its an exciting time...this snowy April day...