final 15 cuts...

bobinaz

I'm with the Jokeman on his list. If I was the special teams coach I would make every OL practice 25 fieldgoal and 25 punt snaps a day. Dorenbos, like A. Brown, is a waste of a roster spot my friends.

13404[/snapback]

A WHOLE 25 snaps? Wow, don't hurt yourself. Have you ever tried to long snap? It's really hard to do well even if there isn't a D-lineman about to obliterate you. And it isn't just about getting it there. It has to be very fast and very accurate. If the snap is slow but accurate you get your punt blocked, if it's fast and wild you have a circus. It has to be both and it really isn't that easy to do. If it is inconsistent on field goals your percentage drops because, in cae you haven't noticed, the kicker starts moving on the SNAP...BEFORE the ball is placed. Those tenths of a second make a HUGE difference in the kicker's timing. 25 snaps can, in NO WAY, be a substitute for the thousands upon thousands of snaps Dorenbos has made in his life. If we have a guy on the roster that can do it that's great, but there is a reason that MANY NFL teams carry a long snapper, it's worth 1 roster spot to be able to kick consistently.

A WHOLE 25 snaps?  Wow, don't hurt yourself.  Have you ever tried to long snap?  It's really hard to do well even if there isn't a D-lineman about to obliterate you.  And it isn't just about getting it there.  It has to be very fast and very accurate.  If the snap is slow but accurate you get your punt blocked, if it's fast and wild you have a circus.  It has to be both and it really isn't that easy to do.  If it is inconsistent on field goals your percentage drops because, in cae you haven't noticed, the kicker starts moving on the SNAP...BEFORE the ball is placed.  Those tenths of a second make a HUGE difference in the kicker's timing.  25 snaps can, in NO WAY, be a substitute for the thousands upon thousands of snaps Dorenbos has made in his life.  If we have a guy on the roster that can do it that's great, but there is a reason that MANY NFL teams carry a long snapper, it's worth 1 roster spot to be able to kick consistently.

13489[/snapback]

Well said, Falstaff. It's easy to look past the importance of having a top-notch long snapper, until it really comes back to bite you.

Predicting the final 15 is proving to be really hard for me. I went through the roster and I could come up with only 6 that, for certain, will be released:

Jasen Esposito

Greg Zolman

Drew Haddad

Constantin Ritzmann

Lauvale Sape

Gerald Dixon

That leaves 9 others that need to be released. I came up with this list of 11 potentials:

Jonathan Smith

Dylan McFarland

Mike Pucillo

Marques Sullivan

Rod Trafford

Joe Burns

Ken Simonton

Jason Gildon

Mario Haggan

Jabari Greer

Pierson Prioleau

But many of those are questionable. Trafford has apparently been playing well, but I see no way we release Euhus even if it's to put him on the PS. That would be for Trafford, I think. And I haven't seen enough of Haggan to know for sure if his time has come. I don't think we get rid of both Pucillo and Sullivan; we still need to keep bodies around for the inevitable injuries. My guess is Pucillo gets the boot since Sullivan can also play Guard if he has to. And who knows, maybe we end up keeping Joe Burns and ditch both Ken Simonton and Shaud Williams since Burns can play both FB and HB (although I doubt that will happen). As for Gildon, I haven't seen enough to know about him, but it doesn't sound like he will stick. Then again, maybe the coaches will keep him over Stamer, since Gildon can play both LB and DE?

But a lot of this depends on what happens with Travis Brown and Lawyer Milloy. I agree with others here that, if Matthews looks decent and picks up the offense quickly, Brown should be cut. There is just no way to justify the extra roster spot. Is IR really an option after the team already said his injury is only a 4-6 week thing? As for Milloy, if he can be ready enough to play in the first or second week, then we don't need to keep Prioleau around, but if not, then we would need him for depth until Milloy comes back. It makes the final cuts very difficult to predict.

Well, they tried that Saturday night, anyway.

We saw what happened.  <_<

Could Dorenbos get cut? It's always a possibility, but I'm guessing they'd do it only if they absolutely couldn't live without that roster spot....

13216[/snapback]

Except for the first punt, I didn't notice the snaps specifically but the blocked punt the snap looked fine. It was just an unblocked man (who knew before the play he was going in unblocked, btw, that caused the blocked punt. I didnt notice any of the snaps being off the entire game (although they may have been). Moorman had a poor punting game but I am not sure that the snaps had anything to do with it. Did you think so, Lori?

Here are my 15

G. Zolman

K. Simonton

D. Haddad

G. Dixon

J. Esposito

L. Lawton

D. McFarland

L. Sape

R. Trafford

P. Prioleau

M. Pucillo

K. McKenzie

J. Smith

J. Stamer

This is who I kept-unless Losman goes IR, in which case add Gildon

QB (4)Bledsoe, Matthews, Brown, Losman

RB (3)Henry, McGahee, S.Williams

FB (2)Shelton, Burns

WR (5)Moulds, Evans, Reed, Shaw, Aiken

TE (3)Campbell, Euhus, Neufeld

OT (4)Jennings, M. Williams, Price, Sullivan

OG (4)Villarrial, L.Smith, Sobieski, Tucker

C (2)Teague, Dorenbos (Tucker is a G/C)

DE (4)Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, Ritzmann

DT (5)P. Williams, Adams, Edwards, Anderson, Bannan

OLB (4)Spikes, Posey, Stevenson, Crowell

MLB (2)Fletcher, Haggan

CB (5)Clements, Vincent, McGee, Thomas, Greer

SS (2)Milloy, Wire

FS (2)Reese, Baker

K (1)Lindell

P (1)Moorman

Here are my 15

G. Zolman

K. Simonton

D. Haddad

G. Dixon

J. Esposito

L. Lawton

D. McFarland

L. Sape

R. Trafford

P. Prioleau

M. Pucillo

K. McKenzie

J. Smith

J. Stamer

This is who I kept-unless Losman goes IR, in which case add Gildon

QB (4)Bledsoe, Matthews, Brown, Losman

RB (3)Henry, McGahee, S.Williams

FB (2)Shelton, Burns

WR (5)Moulds, Evans, Reed, Shaw, Aiken

TE (3)Campbell, Euhus, Neufeld

OT (4)Jennings, M. Williams, Price, Sullivan

OG (4)Villarrial, L.Smith, Sobieski, Tucker

C (2)Teague, Dorenbos  (Tucker is a G/C)

DE (4)Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, Ritzmann

DT (5)P. Williams, Adams, Edwards, Anderson, Bannan

OLB (4)Spikes, Posey, Stevenson, Crowell

MLB (2)Fletcher, Haggan

CB (5)Clements, Vincent, McGee, Thomas, Greer

SS (2)Milloy, Wire

FS (2)Reese, Baker

K (1)Lindell

P (1)Moorman

13629[/snapback]

Good list, right on the money!

Good snaping is important, I wasn't saying that. But if someone else can do it besides a designated guy that helps. Yes, Dorenbos has snaped many, many times but if all the other guys had practiced it 50 times a day(25 fg, 25punt) since minicamps maybe one or two of em' could have gotten good at it. If not, at least we made sure. I have tried long snaping by the way(not too good) but am just saying with some work someone else may be able to handle it, besides Teague that is! <_<

Don't think you can cut a guy who's hurt without an injury settlement. So either way will cost money. I think they may keep Brown for now, but oif other injuries develop and they need the spot, he could be cut in a couple of weeks.

Agree.  Matthews has started 20+ NFL games and had pretty good stats to boot. 

It's always tough to cut a guy because of an injury, but Brown looked mediocre at best this camp.  If he had to come in for DB, the game would essentially be lost anyway.  I think Matthews can probably run a scaled-down offense better than Brown can run the full playbook, if it comes down to that.

The most graceful way out would be to put Brown on IR and give him a year's salary.  But in the cold, heartless world of the salary cap, this probably couldn't be justified.

If Matthews looks at all effective on Thursday, I think Brown might be a casualty.

13403[/snapback]

Here's your list with my reactions.

Greg Zolman, QB - I think you may be right. Buffalo will resist keeping more than 4 QBs on the roster even if 2 are injured. He will go on the practice squad where he can be activated on short notice in an emergency.

Joe Burns, FB - Probably, although Jason Peter's release gives him higher odds of making it.

Shaud Williams, RB - He's in competition with Simonton for a spot and Simonton has gotten more reps. He has performed pretty well when he's had the chance so Simonton is not a slam dunk to win this battle.

Drew Haddad, WR - Yup! The Bills seem to have a solid return man in Terrence McGee. Wonder of wonders he's also a solid CB. Haddad is a return man and nothing more, at least to the Bills. McGee saves a roster spot, an important factor with the injuries to two QBs that Buffalo want to keep on the active roster.

Tim Euhus, TE - Dead wrong on this one. Rod Trafford has played well, but so has Euhus and he gets the nod because of the draft factor.

Jasen Espisito, OT - Camp fodder - as good as gone.

Mike Pucillo, G or Marques Sullivan OT I think you may be right on this one. Neither has shown they can do it on the field.

Dylan McFarland, OT - Yup. Practice squad material as you correctly note.

Jason Gildon, DE - Quite possibly. He hasn't lived up to the hype.

Lauvale Sape, DT - Quite possibly. I actually think he's in a battle with Bannan. Bannan may win that one, but it's not a done deal.

Constantin Ritzman, DE - Yup. More practice squad material.

Ron Edwards, DT - Dead wrong again. He's played pretty well this preseason and appears to be living up to his potential and athleticism.

Gerald Dixon, CB - Yup. Camp Fodder.

Pierson Prioleau, S - Probably, though the injury to Milloy might delay the inevitable.

Jabari Greer, CB Probably not. I think the Bills carry 5 and Greer is #5.

My alternatives: Rod Trafford, Jonathon Smith (will make practice squad), Luke Lawton (practice squad) Mario Haggan might get cut to save a spot for Prioleau

Buffalo would love to find someone who can long snap, and thus save a roster spot, but so far no one seems to have it. No one has yet proven you can just manufacture a long snapper. Some people just have it and some don't. If other needs don't seem too accute next off season TD will look for someone who can do double duty, but I don't think there is a viable alternative to keeping Dorenbos this season.