Dontari Poe

JPS

Poe is 6'4", 350 lbs. He benched 225 40+ and ran a 4.8 with a 1st step that rivals outside linebackers. It's weird watching a guy this big move this well. They are saying on NFL network that no DT that size has ever moved that well. In fact, there's a bunch of them. Devon Still, Mike Martin and Jerel Worthy can also move and are 300+. If Brockers goes ahead of these guys, it's proof that the combine is worth very little.

It looks like there's a LOT of depth at DT.

Figures this draft is deep at the one position we don't need to worry about. Combine numbers do mean nothing though. Sometimes players put up great numbers and do well sometimes they put up great numbers and suck, sometimes they put up awful numbers and are amazing.

Figures this draft is deep at the one position we don't need to worry about. Combine numbers do mean nothing though. Sometimes players put up great numbers and do well sometimes they put up great numbers and suck, sometimes they put up awful numbers and are amazing.

Combine numbers mean something. It costs the NFL millions to do the combine and they do it for a reason.

Combine numbers mean something. It costs the NFL millions to do the combine and they do it for a reason.

That's a matter of opinion. The combine itself certainly means something, it gives scouts, coaches, and owners a look at the athletes close up. See their demeanor, how the react under pressure and scrutiny.

40 numbers and bench press reps mean almost nothing when it comes to being a good football player though, IMO.

If you have a receiver like Blackmon, who will likely run something over 4.5 in the 40. Then you have some far less productive guy run a 4.3, that has no bearing on who will be the better player.

Marshawn Lynch ran 4.4 40 times (very good). On the field Lynch is one of the slower RB's in the league (not saying he isn't good, just not fast), relying on mainly strength and determination.

Matt Jones ran a sub 4.40 (faster and taller than Andre Johnson). He was a first round pick, and awful.

You could bring up 100's of such examples. Al Davis loved combine numbers, look how that's played out for him...

In a game you are not wearing track shoes, you are wearing pads, you do not start from a sprinters stance and run in a straight line with no one around you....ect...

The combine is a way to evaluate all of the top prospects at once, in person. The numbers themselves are not that important IMO.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Apparently Poe was voted Second-Team All-Conference USA.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/28/opposing-line-coach-on-dontari-poe-he-took-plays-off/

"CBS Sports’ Bruce Feldman interviewed one veteran college offensive line coach who game planned against Poe in Conference USA. The position coach gave Poe mixed reviews.

“He’s probably the best talent I’ve seen in several years,” said the assistant. “He took plays off and wasn’t a great effort guy, but he is a freakish talent.”

Feldman suggested that most oversized defensive linemen take some snaps off.

“Yeah,” the coach conceded. “But he took off more than most. He did get better last year than he was the year before. He just was never that productive, but I heard they didn’t require him to do that much. He was definitely someone I took into account with schemes. … I’m not at all surprised to hear that he’s blowing up at the Combine, at all.”

That's a matter of opinion. The combine itself certainly means something, it gives scouts, coaches, and owners a look at the athletes close up. See their demeanor, how the react under pressure and scrutiny.

40 numbers and bench press reps mean almost nothing when it comes to being a good football player though, IMO.

If you have a receiver like Blackmon, who will likely run something over 4.5 in the 40. Then you have some far less productive guy run a 4.3, that has no bearing on who will be the better player.

Marshawn Lynch ran 4.4 40 times (very good). On the field Lynch is one of the slower RB's in the league (not saying he isn't good, just not fast), relying on mainly strength and determination.

Matt Jones ran a sub 4.40 (faster and taller than Andre Johnson). He was a first round pick, and awful.

You could bring up 100's of such examples. Al Davis loved combine numbers, look how that's played out for him...

In a game you are not wearing track shoes, you are wearing pads, you do not start from a sprinters stance and run in a straight line with no one around you....ect...

The combine is a way to evaluate all of the top prospects at once, in person. The numbers themselves are not that important IMO.

It's equally silly to say the numbers are meaningless, as it is to choose a guy based just on a 40 time. It's all small factors in trying to predict a much bigger equation of who someone is and how they fit in your plans. You go through enough layers of examination and find the guys that consistently meet and exceed expectations as opposed to those they fly red flas everywhere. The 40, benching, interviews, film from the second weekend of their sophomore year - all chances to earn your positives or negatives.

It's equally silly to say the numbers are meaningless, as it is to choose a guy based just on a 40 time. It's all small factors in trying to predict a much bigger equation of who someone is and how they fit in your plans. You go through enough layers of examination and find the guys that consistently meet and exceed expectations as opposed to those they fly red flas everywhere. The 40, benching, interviews, film from the second weekend of their sophomore year - all chances to earn your positives or negatives.

Thank you.

It's not a black and white deal… almost nothing is.

All the teams compile vast amounts of information.

Some teams process and weigh that information better than other teams do.

Not denying that he appears to be a special athlete. So why wasn't he more of a difference-maker at the college level?

Depends on who you ask I guess...His Team voted him an MVP and Defensive Player Of The Year for Memphis...So he must have been doing what the Coaches asked of him...

He's a D-Lineman, not a QB...So his impact is based on what is asked of him in the scheme they run...Mayock said some real good things about him and compared him, at least in potential, to Ngata...I wonder how Poe would have done in a different system like Alabama or LSU where he would have been surrounded by top talent and Coaching?...He's the type of Prospect that makes The NFL Draft so interesting...Though I'd much rather gamble on a big, quick, powerful DT instead of a 5-10 SS...I think the Kid will do certain things well from the get-go, and in time could turn into a monster with the right Coaching...We'll see I guess... B-)

:huh:

Poe would do just fine inside in a 4 man Front...He and Dareus would make a REAL scary combination in time...

I know we have KW who is a heck of a good DT when he's healthy...But Williams is an undersized DT...The Bills have a ton of Needs, and I'm not sure Poe will be around at #10 overall after what he did today...But I don't think there is any question he would be in the discussion for BPA at #10 Overall should he still be on the Board...With Poe, and assuming KW comes back healthy, The Bills would have a 3-man Rotation at DT that would rival ANY NFL Team...How long has it been since we could say that? Wanny's SB D in Dallas had Russell Maryland, Tony Casillas, Leon Lett, and Jimmy Jones at DT...The Bills have Darius with Williams and Troup both coming off serious injuries...Then it's guys like Kellen Heard and Spencer Johnson...Why would they not at least consider Poe?

I'm not saying The Bills should Draft Poe...But I promise you there will be a discussion about it...And it will be a long one... B-)

Daruis and Poe and you can only double team one of them means Tom Brady retires early.

Depends on who you ask I guess...His Team voted him an MVP and Defensive Player Of The Year for Memphis...So he must have been doing what the Coaches asked of him...

He's a D-Lineman, not a QB...So his impact is based on what is asked of him in the scheme they run...Mayock said some real good things about him and compared him, at least in potential, to Ngata...I wonder how Poe would have done in a different system like Alabama or LSU where he would have been surrounded by top talent and Coaching?...He's the type of Prospect that makes The NFL Draft so interesting...Though I'd much rather gamble on a big, quick, powerful DT instead of a 5-10 SS...I think the Kid will do certain things well from the get-go, and in time could turn into a monster with the right Coaching...We'll see I guess... B-)

You have it exactly right :thumbsup: