Projected caps with rollover money.

PromoTheRobot

Projected 2012 caps + 2011 rollover.

The Bills have almost $33M in projected cap room for 2012. The Bengals have almost $59M. The Steelers, even with their rollover, are $27M over the cap.

PTR

Finally some factual numbers! My only question is did the Bills roll over their money? It seems like it is/was an option but that teams had to notify the league they were doing it. Is their any evidence that this has been done?

A breakdown:

- Low spenders (Above $30 m cap): 3 playoff teams

- Average spenders ($10 m to $30 m): 4 playoff teams, including the AFC champion

- High spenders (Below $10 m): 5 playoff teams, including the Superbowl winner

Spread of teams in these categories is between 10 and 11 each, so it appears there is most definitely a strong correlation between making the playoffs and spending big and not making the playoffs and not spending big. Also, two of the four teams (50 percent) that spent too much went to the playoffs, including the Superbowl winner. Not shocking, but interesting to see some statistical evidence.

So why is it that I keep hearing that if the Bills resign SJ, they won't have any money left to do anything else?

How on earth do you get yourself in as bad a situation cap wise as the Steelers have?

At least they have an excellent team. My question is, how do crappy teams like Carolina and Oakland get themselves in that position??