Santorum Satan (not Miroslav) remarks

John Adams

These resurfaced when Chris Christie (unoriginal parents) said these comments were fair game.

Santorum said in August 2008 that "Satan has his sights set" on the United States of America, adding that "the Father of Lies" is using vice to go after the nation's great institutions.

"Satan [has been] attacking the great institutions of America, using those great vices of pride, vanity, and sensuality as the root to attack all of the strong plants that has so deeply rooted in the American tradition," Santorum said at Ave Maria University in Florida in 2008.

The remarks appear to have first resurfaced last Thursday on rightwingwatch.org, and are now being highlighted by powerful conservative aggregator Matt Drudge, who is widely seen by GOP insiders as an ally of Mitt Romney.

"This is a spiritual war," Santorum said in 2008. "And the Father of Lies has his sights on what you would think the Father of Lies, Satan, would have his sights on: A good, decent, powerful, influential country - the United States of America. If you were Satan, who would you attack in this day and age. There is no one else to go after other than the United States."

Santorum goes on to say that Satan has been "most successful and first successful" in attacking academia, saying Satan exploited the "pride of smart people." Then, he said, Satan went after the church, and now "we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it."

He then said Satan has also gone after popular culture - which he discusses below - before saying politics "is falling too."

"Whether its sensuality of vanity of the famous in America, they are peacocks on display and they have taken their poor behavior and made it fashionable," he said. "The corruption of culture, the corruption of manners, the corruption of decency is now on display whether it's the NBA or whether it's a rock concert or whether it's on a movie set."

Edited by John Adams

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In movies, you have your stars and then you have your bit players. Santorum is a bit player who thinks he's a star, but he just doesn't have that kind of DNA. I just don't see him as "President" material and his rise to prominence shows just how weak the GOP field is.

As for the remarks, and since he's a GOPer, I think he'd be toast in a general election. American's don't like big government telling them what to do whether it's in the health care clinic or in the bedroom.

Edited by 1billsfan

So I'm guessing you're new to this whole Christianity thing, huh? Not familiar with their take on the devil, are you?

Well, it's definitely better than your sweater vest reasoning, so we'll give you that.

Most Christians don't talk about the devil like he's waging a campaign, and many don't even believe in the devil. Santorum talks about the devil like he's a real dude whispering in people's ears.

I will not back down on the sweater vest thing. Just because you and Jim wear sweater vests doesn't make Santorum--or you--sane.

Edited by John Adams

Most Christians don't talk about the devil like he's waging a campaign, and many don't even believe in the devil. Santorum talks about the devil like he's a real dude whispering in people's ears.

I will not back down on the sweater vest thing. Just because you and Jim wear sweater vests doesn't make Santorum--or you--sane.

How is it you always seem to know what most (fill in the blank) think, and yet really don't?

On the other hand, I suspect you're defining Christians as "people who go to church" or "people who believe in God," in which case no one should be surprised by how wrong you are about what "most Christians" do or don't do.

How is it you always seem to know what most (fill in the blank) think, and yet really don't?

On the other hand, I suspect you're defining Christians as "people who go to church" or "people who believe in God," in which case no one should be surprised by how wrong you are about what "most Christians" do or don't do.

"Most" are supposed to believe in an evil angel guy who runs around planning against god. Do you?

Edited by John Adams

"Most" are supposed to believe in an evil angel guy who runs around planning against god. Do you?

This discussion isn't about what I think. It's about what you think, and your thinking is based on an emotional concept that you have somehow convinced yourself to be the only real truth.

But I see where you're going with this. It's kind of like the liberal argument that even though the Catholic Church is against birth control of any sort, it's irrelevant because "most" Catholic women don't agree with that belief, so it's the church that's wrong. Alternately, most Christians are "supposed" to believe in a symbol of evil (be it a fallen angel or whatever), but because you have somehow convinced yourself that "most" don't, then the concept of evil is irrelevant. Therefore, Santorum is a nutbag.

Again, I suspect you just believe Christians are "people who go to church." I get that. I used to believe the same thing.

1329942327[/url]' post='2387265']

This discussion isn't about what I think. It's about what you think, and your thinking is based on an emotional concept that you have somehow convinced yourself to be the only real truth.

But I see where you're going with this. It's kind of like the liberal argument that even though the Catholic Church is against birth control of any sort, it's irrelevant because "most" Catholic women don't agree with that belief, so it's the church that's wrong. Alternately, most Christians are "supposed" to believe in a symbol of evil (be it a fallen angel or whatever), but because you have somehow convinced yourself that "most" don't, then the concept of evil is irrelevant. Therefore, Santorum is a nutbag.

Again, I suspect you just believe Christians are "people who go to church." I get that. I used to believe the same thing.

Your suspicions are wrong.

Do you believe in the devil?

Edited by John Adams

Okay, you're not a Christian.

Do you believe in God?

You avoided my question 3 times. Why?

And don't say because it has nothing to do with the thread. First, that never stops anyone from hijacking. Second, this thread is about someone's who believes in the devil. I am asking if you do. It's not a complicated question.