2012 Summer Movie Preview: Superheroes lead the way again....

Mark Vader

When was the last Alien movie that was good? It has to be better than the endless retread Spidey, Batman, Avengers crap we are supposed to buy.

Fixed.

As for the superhero movies, if you are tired of them, fine. Yet they are very entertaining and they are raking in big bucks, so until they start to fall, they will still get made. Although I'm sure Batman will be taking a rest for awhile.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I am tired with the "Alien" series and I think they should just let it die, as I can not imagine what else they can do to keep it fresh.

However, this prequel does look good and there is some talented actors in it too.

Don't think of it as an Alien movie ... Think about it this way--

Scott has only done two sic-fi movies in his career: Alien and Bladerunner. Both movies reinvented the genre and remain masterpieces. THATS why I am excited to see what Sir Ridley does with his third visit to the genre he saved.

Scott has only done two sic-fi movies in his career: Alien and Bladerunner. Both movies reinvented the genre and remain masterpieces. THATS why I am excited to see what Sir Ridley does with his third visit to the genre he saved.

Good point.

If you don't like the last two Batman movies, then you don't like movies.

He's thrown that comment out in past threads at least once before. He's clearly never actually watched either movie.

How closely related to Alien is it supposed to be? The things I've read make it sound like they're actually trying to stay away from those connections and it actually being a true prequel.

He's thrown that comment out in past threads at least once before. He's clearly never actually watched either movie.

Neither have I. Were they about something other than 'mysterious, costumed quasi-good guy does battle with his inner demons and mysterious, costumed quasi-bad guy(s)? I ask because I've seen a couple pretty mediocre Batman movies, and while there is nothing wrong with mindless entertainment, the 'greatest movie ever' type accolades always seem a bit odd to me for rehashed superhero movies.

Neither have I. Were they about something other than 'mysterious, costumed quasi-good guy does battle with his inner demons and mysterious, costumed quasi-bad guy(s)? I ask because I've seen a couple pretty mediocre Batman movies, and while there is nothing wrong with mindless entertainment, the 'greatest movie ever' type accolades always seem a bit odd to me for rehashed superhero movies.

Neither movie is even remotely near the mindless entertainment label. They are far more intellectual than any comic book movie that comes to mind and both were incredibly well written and planned out. I'm guessing that you're trying to tie these into the Burton and Schumacher movies, which is a big mistake. They're not connected in any way other than the character names. You should give at least one of them a shot some time, you may be surprised. Worst case scenario, you've lost 2 hours. It can't be any worse than watching a Bills game.

As for the bolded line, take out the costume part and isn't that what 90% of movies are about?

Edited by shrader

How closely related to Alien is it supposed to be? The things I've read make it sound like they're actually trying to stay away from those connections and it actually being a true prequel.

I have read the same reports as you have, and while they may be trying to stay away from the whole "Alien" connection, the movie certainly has the look of the connection being there. Of course we have not seen a trailer that has actual dialogue in the movie, just a bunch of jump cuts with some special effects.

One more thing. If they are staying away from the "Alien" ties, they sure aren't hiding it very well.

Watch the original "Alien" trailer:

Here's the "Prometheus" trailer: http://www.prometheus-movie.com/

Lots of similarities, wouldn't you say? Guess we'll just have to wait and find out.

Neither movie is even remotely near the mindless entertainment label. They are far more intellectual than any comic book movie that comes to mind and both were incredibly well written and planned out. I'm guessing that you're trying to tie these into the Burton and Schumacher movies, which is a big mistake. They're not connected in any way other than the character names. You should give at least one of them a shot some time, you may be surprised. Worst case scenario, you've lost 2 hours. It can't be any worse than watching a Bills game.

As for the bolded line, take out the costume part and isn't that what 90% of movies are about?

I found them intriguing but hardly intellectual. I will agree with the mass opinion in one regard:

Heath Ledger was incredible as the Joker. Amazing.

I don't think the movie was "one of the greatest movies ever...." at all although I did find it very good. I do think Ledger's performance was among the best I have eve seen.

All of this actually makes me less inclined to want to see the new movie. It seems to me that it will be a good movie begging for something it won't find: a performance like Ledger's. I thought Bale was good in the first movie but found him brutal in the last one. I expect he will be bad in this one too. I found the rest of the cast in both to be solid with the exception of Maggie whatshername who was horribly mis-cast as an attractive woman who had a brain. That was a reach right there on both counts.

I found them intriguing but hardly intellectual. I will agree with the mass opinion in one regard:

I don't think the movie was "one of the greatest movies ever...." at all although I did find it very good. I do think Ledger's performance was among the best I have eve seen.

All of this actually makes me less inclined to want to see the new movie. It seems to me that it will be a good movie begging for something it won't find: a performance like Ledger's. I thought Bale was good in the first movie but found him brutal in the last one. I expect he will be bad in this one too. I found the rest of the cast in both to be solid with the exception of Maggie whatshername who was horribly mis-cast as an attractive woman who had a brain. That was a reach right there on both counts.

The Rachel character was definitely the week point of the two movies (both Holmes and Maggie). When they were working with established characters they did great, but creating Rachel from scratch really didn't work too well. Hopefully Catwoman will work out better this time since she's another established character.

Do your negative thoughts on Bale in the Dark Knight go beyond the batman voice stuff? I liked just about everything he did outside of the batsuit, especially his interactions with Alfred. But then again, what can't Michael Caine do right? That's the one thing they've definitely had going for them in all of these movies. The casting has been great. Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman... and these are just supporting roles.

The Rachel character was definitely the week point of the two movies (both Holmes and Maggie). When they were working with established characters they did great, but creating Rachel from scratch really didn't work too well. Hopefully Catwoman will work out better this time since she's another established character.

Do your negative thoughts on Bale in the Dark Knight go beyond the batman voice stuff? I liked just about everything he did outside of the batsuit, especially his interactions with Alfred. But then again, what can't Michael Caine do right? That's the one thing they've definitely had going for them in all of these movies. The casting has been great. Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman... and these are just supporting roles.

Bale just seemed too angst ridden 24 hours a day to be realistic. The voice was definitely the worst of it but there were plenty of other parts like after the car accident which saved the guy who knew his identity and tons of other parts. I knew I was watching a movie when he was on screen yet Ledger with his face painted still seemed to make every utterance real and plausible.

I only know what I've read, but my understanding was it was originally a straight prequel to Alien. And then they hired Damon Lindelof to do a rewrite and he apparently took a so-so script and made it awesome. So awesome and so new that it bore little resemblance to the original concept. I'm sure there's connections because it's the same "universe" and I'm sure Damon threw in his own shout outs to Alien because I'd imagine he's a huge fan. So most likely there will be some Alien stuff in there for people to find/theorize about, but hopefully it's not overt to the point of feeling like a prequel.

Either way, the film has a lot of good early buzz on the street around town here. I'm choosing to believe it's going to rock. But I'm just a huge fan of the people behind it so I'd go see it regardless.

Hardly intellectual? For a movie that is based on a comic book character, I ask you, what more could you ask for?

Heath Ledger was incredible and he deserved the Oscar. My problem with regards to peoples attitudes to "The Dark Knight" is that everyone made it all about Heath Ledger, when in fact "The Dark Knight" was a damn good movie all the way around, and should have been nominated for best picture. Did anyone even notice what a great performance Aaron Eckhart gave in that movie as Harvey Dent/Two-face?

As for "one of the greatest movies ever", I try to stay away from debates like that, because there are plenty of great movies and I feel there is no point in trying to trivialize a certain group of them.

Hardly intellectual? For a movie that is based on a comic book character, I ask you, what more could you ask for?

Heath Ledger was incredible and he deserved the Oscar. My problem with regards to peoples attitudes to "The Dark Knight" is that everyone made it all about Heath Ledger, when in fact "The Dark Knight" was a damn good movie all the way around, and should have been nominated for best picture. Did anyone even notice what a great performance Aaron Eckhart gave in that movie as Harvey Dent/Two-face?

As for "one of the greatest movies ever", I try to stay away from debates like that, because there are plenty of great movies and I feel there is no point in trying to trivialize a certain group of them.

I liked it. The themes were somewhat intricate, but again I don't know about intellectual. If we're grading on a curve because it was a comic book movie then sure I guess. It was certainly more intellectual than the Superman movies, I'll give it that.

That doesn't mean it didn't keep my attention. It did.

I liked all the performances except Bale and Maggie whatserface. I found some of the minor characters very well acted too.

I liked it. The themes were somewhat intricate, but again I don't know about intellectual. If we're grading on a curve because it was a comic book movie then sure I guess. It was certainly more intellectual than the Superman movies, I'll give it that.

That doesn't mean it didn't keep my attention. It did.

I liked all the performances except Bale and Maggie whatserface. I found some of the minor characters very well acted too.

I really shouldn't have thrown out that word "intellectual" here. I do think it was a smart movie, but what I was really going for was that it's not just your typical Michael Bay special effects-fest movie. The truck flip was the biggest effect and that wasn't exact flashy (very cool in imax though).

its an okay superhero film. But, I gotta admit, heath ledger's performance is quite possibly the greatest villain performance I have ever seen (matched with Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith, Bill Nighy in Underworld Rise of the Lycans and Gary Oldman in every freaking movie he's ever been in) I still like the 2nd Spider-Man movie, hellboy and (sigh) Daredevil more. Oh crap. I admitted I loved Daredevil. :wallbash: :wallbash:

its an okay superhero film. But, I gotta admit, heath ledger's performance is quite possibly the greatest villain performance I have ever seen (matched with Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith, Bill Nighy in Underworld Rise of the Lycans and Gary Oldman in every freaking movie he's ever been in) I still like the 2nd Spider-Man movie, hellboy and (sigh) Daredevil more. Oh crap. I admitted I loved Daredevil. :wallbash: :wallbash:

You need to watch more movies.