Fred gets unscrewed

Yeah, I also can't say he got screwed. Perhaps if he'd finished the season and had 1,500 yards rushing, 700 yards receiving and 10 TD's (what he was on-pace for), you could possibly make an argument that he's getting screwed by not getting a new contract. But the fact is he's over 30 and suffered a season-ending injury. It's less being screwed than it is bad luck.

Its a mistake resigning Jackson he is 31 coming off an Injury plus you have a good young back who showed he is more than capable of starting, Buddy needs to learn from the Fitzpatrick signing that you don't sign a player just because you personally like them they have to be able to play

Honestly I agree.

The Bills have Stevie, Bell, and Urbik and FAs this year, and Byrd and Levitre coming up next year. We also have to sign a couple other teams studs in FA this year. Couple that with Freddie being 31, having another year left on his contract, and Spiller catching on, I just dont see the ened to get him sign right now.

Once Stevie, Urbik, Byrd, and Levitre are locked up (I'd let Dbell walk if he wants a big contract - too injury prone) and we can land a V jackson or M Williams type, then sign Freddie to a smaller, short term extension in the middle or end of next season. Out of all the guys I listed Stevie is the least important one to resign if you ask me.

I have said it once, I'll say it again. I don't think they should extend Fred. Not that I don't like him or appreciate his talent. But I just think it's bad business to spend too much on the RB position, expecially for a team like Buffalo where the needs are many especially at more crucial positions.

And your username is Triple Threat??? :wallbash:

uh- pretty much

he was a restricted free agent with no ability to go anywhere else

his only option was to hold out - and we know how well blinded Bills fans -(like yourself) treat holdouts

$7.5M for 4 years for (at the time) a backup RB. Oh the humanity! <_<.

PTR

Can I have some of what you're smokin'?

First of all, when the Bills extended Jackson in 2009 he was backing up Lynch. So how is giving $7.5M over 4 years to a backup screwing him? Now good for Fred for exceeding his contract but that's how it goes.

People sign contracts and they either play up or down to it. But what NFL team renegotiates contracts after every season to make sure everyone is getting what they deserve? None of them. Only in your Bills-hating mind is Fred getting the short end.

PTR

Who signed Fred's contract? Whoever that was is responsible for the outcome. I just fail to see how Fred is somehow a victim or is getting screwed. For whatever reason it took him till very late in his career to blossom. The way the world works is that infinite things happen simultaneously which affect everything. Fred was a backup RB at the time and apparently agreed that signing the contract was in his best interest. I just don't see the reason behind portraying his situation as being one of getting screwed. Fred took a while to play his best football and 30 will always be 30 as an NFL RB. If his age plays into the contract talks then it is what it is. As a fan of his I just hope that he has a good team in place on his behalf. I know that it's 2012 but people are still responsible for their own lives.

Fred did get screwed because he was an ERFA when his last time for negotiation came up. His only 2 options were to sign what the Bills were offering, or to completely sit out of football.

Edited by Ramius