Refs named for the Super Bowl

section122

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-superbowlofficials

Theres a Steratore on the list :bag::sick:

At least it's not Gene though. What do you guys think? Good Crew?

Her's an interesting article I found about the head ref... perhaps we won't see any bs roughing the Brady calls

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/john-parry

Edited by section122

Her's an interesting article I found about the head ref... perhaps we won't see any bs roughing the Brady calls

It's hard to say if this crew will be any good. Although, there better not be any BS "no touching Brady" calls. He officiated the 49ers/Saints game. There was a play where Alex Smith was sacked and fumbled but it could have been a 15 yard personal foul. He was hit square in the helmet, by the defenders helmet. Come to think of it, Donte Whitner's forced fumble by the goal line was also a helmet-to-helmet hit, so each team got one. All in all, I think the officiating was fair in that game.

It's hard to say if this crew will be any good. Although, there better not be any BS "no touching Brady" calls. He officiated the 49ers/Saints game. There was a play where Alex Smith was sacked and fumbled but it could have been a 15 yard personal foul. He was hit square in the helmet, by the defenders helmet. Come to think of it, Donte Whitner's forced fumble by the goal line was also a helmet-to-helmet hit, so each team got one. All in all, I think the officiating was fair in that game.

As was discussed ad naseum, there was nothing illegal about Whitner's hit. It was not a defenseless player, and the RB lowered his head as Whitner hit him. Not all helmet-to-helmet contact is illegal or a 15 yard penalty.

As was discussed ad naseum, there was nothing illegal about Whitner's hit. It was not a defenseless player, and the RB lowered his head as Whitner hit him. Not all helmet-to-helmet contact is illegal or a 15 yard penalty.

Honestly, I had no problem with it not being a flag, I'm only pointing it out now with the hope that the Pats* don't draw calls like that in the same situation. I'm also hoping that Brady gets hit the way Alex Smith did without a 15 yard flag. He deserves it for bashing Buffalo hotels!

The most interesting aspect of Super Bowl officiating IMO is not who the referee is but the fact that all throughout the exhibition and regular season and playoffs, the officiating crews stay together.

Then for the Super Bowl, the individual officials who graded out highest at their positions are chosen to work the game… the crews go out the window.

I like the merit-based aspect of the process (rewarding individuals) but it's odd to me that they change "value systems" so to speak for the final game… that suddenly they're no longer rewarding good teamwork but instead individuals.

The most interesting aspect of Super Bowl officiating IMO is not who the referee is but the fact that all throughout the exhibition and regular season and playoffs, the officiating crews stay together.

Then for the Super Bowl, the individual officials who graded out highest at their positions are chosen to work the game… the crews go out the window.

I like the merit-based aspect of the process (rewarding individuals) but it's odd to me that they change "value systems" so to speak for the final game… that suddenly they're no longer rewarding good teamwork but instead individuals.

And odder yet is a team develops that chemistry and knows where another guy will be or what angle, or who to trust on an overruled call (Jimmy was probably in a hard spot to see given the angle he takes, or Joe likes calling PI a bit too easily so we might have him pick it up more often).... Any given play there's a TON of communication- much of it unspoken.... And then you scratch it two weeks out from the biggest game? No thanks. If a crew was good enough to call a conference championship, they should stick together for the bowl.

Stevie misses some practice and timing with fitz is questioned for a month but this line judge and back judge are supposed to get chemistry and pass assigned players and calls to each other at lightning speed on a few days notice?

And odder yet is a team develops that chemistry and knows where another guy will be or what angle, or who to trust on an overruled call (Jimmy was probably in a hard spot to see given the angle he takes, or Joe likes calling PI a bit too easily so we might have him pick it up more often).... Any given play there's a TON of communication- much of it unspoken.... And then you scratch it two weeks out from the biggest game? No thanks. If a crew was good enough to call a conference championship, they should stick together for the bowl.

Stevie misses some practice and timing with fitz is questioned for a month but this line judge and back judge are supposed to get chemistry and pass assigned players and calls to each other at lightning speed on a few days notice?

Exactly my concerns.

An NFL officiating crew consists of 7 on-field officials.

There's a lot of teamwork and communication that goes on during games.

It seems kind of odd to throw that all out the window for the league's biggest game.

Exactly my concerns.

An NFL officiating crew consists of 7 on-field officials.

There's a lot of teamwork and communication that goes on during games.

It seems kind of odd to throw that all out the window for the league's biggest game.

I'd also be curious when each had their last games? I'd doubt any were at Hawaii- probably not all were in the afccg/nfccg (maybe?) so could some be a solid 3 weeks out from being on the field. There's got to be some element of getting back in the flow too. One of the best crews had to hang it up a month ago due to the head getting cancer... Could someone off that premiere crew make this?

Edited by NoSaint

I'd also be curious when each had their last games? I'd doubt any were at Hawaii- probably not all were in the afccg/nfccg (maybe?) so could some be a solid 3 weeks out from being on the field. There's got to be some element of getting back in the flow too. One of the best crews had to hang it up a month ago due to the head getting cancer... Could someone off that premiere crew make this?

Yeah was that Tony Corrente?

Here are the last names of his crew:

Umpire Bryan

Head Linesman McGrath

Line Judge Lewis

Field Judge Cavaletto

Side Judge Baynes

Back Judge Wilson

So yeah, one guy from Corrente's crew and their last game was during the wild card round… the Detroit-New Orleans game on January 7th.

So it'll be a nearly one month layoff for that individual.

Here's a link to the NFL officials… who, what, where, etc.

http://www.football-refs.com/nfl-referees-by-season/2011-crews/playoffssuper-bowl/

Looks like they've been tweaking the crews a bit during the postseason:

Wild Card Weekend

Cincinnati at Houston – Clete Blakeman (with Green’s U)

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Yeah was that Tony Corrente?

Here are the last names of his crew:

Umpire Bryan

Head Linesman McGrath

Line Judge Lewis

Field Judge Cavaletto

Side Judge Baynes

Back Judge Wilson

So yeah, one guy from Corrente's crew and their last game was during the wild card round… the Detroit-New Orleans game on January 7th.

So it'll be a nearly one month layoff for that individual.

Here's a link to the NFL officials… who, what, where, etc.

http://www.football-refs.com/nfl-referees-by-season/2011-crews/playoffssuper-bowl/

Looks like they've been tweaking the crews a bit during the postseason:

Wild Card Weekend

Cincinnati at Houston – Clete Blakeman (with Green’s U)

Just odd to me that they take a guy from a month off and throw him in a random crew for the bowl.... Seems like it's asking for someone to make a mistake... I'm not talking a meltdown but just something subtle showing up as a getting the flow of the game and team figured out. I know all crews work off the same books but I'm sure every one develops a little personality during the year.

Edited by NoSaint

Gene is from my hometown of Washington Pa, well my home town is Buffalo, Lakeview actually,but currently

reside in Washington. He was reffing powder puff football games on a 60 yard field a couple of years ago.

He was at a local junior high football game that my nephew was playing in a couple years ago.

He was sitting in the stands behind me with a bunch of his coumps, and the ref. neglegted to blow the whistle

on a running play, the running back breaks free and runs for another 20 yards or so. Gene and his buddies

start harrasing the ref. about the late whistle, and yells out, "come on ref. you only get one chance like

that to get it right", and continues to berate him for a good 5 minutes. I almost fell out of the bleachers

thinking to myself, geez Gene, I have seen you butcher many more than that, and on a national stage no less.

His Dad and uncle are the main reason he is even an NFL official, just proves the old adage, it's not what you know.

Boy we're getting into some depth now… murky depths probably.

As a long-time NFL addict I've always had a fascination with referees going back to well before most people paid attention to who they were.

My consciousness of refs goes back to the era of Ben Dreith ("He's giving him the business down there… that's 15 yards"), Gene Barth, Bob "Uncle Bob" McElwee, Dale "Aw shucks" Hamer (so named because of his obvious bashfulness when announcing penalties), Gerry "The General" Austin, and of course, Jerry "The Importance of being Earnest" Markbreit.

My friends are still amazed that I can identify any NFL referee within about 2 seconds.

They all have nicknames too. Ed Hochuli is obviously "Hercules," Walt Coleman is "Lil Wally Coleman," and Alberto Riveron is "The Cuban Gentleman," just to name a few.

Still haven't figured out what I'm gonna name Clete Blakeman…

Yeah I'm a loser.