Fred Jackson to get screwed?

Rob's House

not surprisingly, what ive been predicting for over three months appears to be coming to fruition

heres the deal: the bills are going to release fred jackson. thats been in the cards since even before spiller pretty much duplicated freds stats when he got the chance to be featured

why fred will be released

- its stupid to pay big bucks to a 31yo rb no matter how good he currently is. just go through the names in your mind and back after back after back hits the wall soon after 30. and when they do its a brick wall. shaun alexander is mvp and gets a big contract then cant get past the los. thomas jones leads the nfls best running attack then goes to kc where he cant outrun my grandma. its a cold reality that backs become almost useless soon after 30 because they have very little ability to adapt their game to a slowing body - you are either explosive as a rb or you arent, and if you arent youre worth no more than spot duty and catching a few balls

- the rbs themselves never see it that way. they always think they can still be just as productive and when they have a great season they demand mo money. thomas jones forced his way out of ny and essentially got the same money in kc that the jets were offering. freddie is going to do the same thing, make a stink and force his release. and mark my words, he will never be the same back he was here last season. too bad he cant realize that and just finish his career here where he has his best chance to extend his prime production as long as he can, but its virtually assured he wont do that

- spiller pretty much produced just as well as freddie did, is eight-ish years younger, and is going to have to get paid soon. theres only so many big contracts one team can pay. why would you give freddie those dollars when hes gonna start declining any time now and spiller has only upside for the next few years? answer is you dont

freddie was great and hes a nice man. this situation is not fair to freddie. life in general is not fair and nfl life certainly is not fair. it is what it is. thanks freddie, and goodbye

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not surprisingly, what ive been predicting for over three months appears to be coming to fruition

heres the deal: the bills are going to release fred jackson. thats been in the cards since even before spiller pretty much duplicated freds stats when he got the chance to be featured

- its stupid to pay big bucks to a 31yo rb no matter how good he currently is. just go through the names in your mind and back after back after back hits the wall soon after 30. and when they do its a brick wall. shaun alexander is mvp and gets a big contract then cant get past the los. thomas jones leads the nfls best running attack then goes to kc where he cant outrun my grandma. its a cold reality that backs become almost useless soon after 30 because they have very little ability to adapt their game to a slowing body - you are either explosive as a rb or you arent, and if you arent youre worth no more than spot duty and catching a few balls

- the rbs themselves never see it that way. they always think they can still be just as productive and when they have a great season they demand mo money. thomas jones forced his way out of ny and essentially got the same money in kc that the jets were offering. freddie is going to do the same thing, make a stink and force his release. and mark my words, he will never be the same back he was here last season. too bad he cant realize that and just finish his career here where he has his best chance to extend his prime production as long as he can, but its virtually assured he wont do that

- spiller pretty much produced just as well as freddie did, is eight-ish years younger, and is going to have to get paid soon. theres only so many big contracts one team can pay. why would you give freddie those dollars when hes gonna start declining any time now and spiller has only upside for the next few years? answer is you dont

freddie was great and hes a nice man. this situation is not fair to freddie. life in general is not fair and nfl life certainly is not fair. it is what it is. thanks freddie, and goodbye

He won't be released. Maybe (but hopefully not) traded, but certainly not released.

Freddy will not be released........there is no need for that at this point, he is under contract for a reasonable price.

There is simply NO reason to push for some contract extension at this point...................

wait til free agency has started and see what money has (or has not) been shelled out by the Bills for this

wait til after the draft to see how that has affected the roster.

In early July, then approach Fred's agent about an extension that acknowledge's Freds obvious worth to the team......while also realizing that his age and injury should preclude any HUGE increase.

If that doesn't work then try and deal him to a winning club for a mid-round pick.

Edited by B-Man

All good points, but some backs are productive into their 30s & FJ is a prime candidate. The wear on the body from taking hits is what shortens most careers. Did it to Marion Barber by his mid to late 20s. But FJ doesn't have that kind of mileage. He's only surpassed 200 carries in a season twice (237 & 222) & only 817 for his career. Whereas a guy like LT has gone over 300 in 7 seasons and has over 3100 carries on his career. I think he's good, especially as part of a 1-2 punch, for another 2-3 years.

Listen. Fred Jackson is still under contract for the 2012 season.

One more time.

Fred Jackson is still under contract for the 2012 season.

yawn

I heard on the radio that the Bills have decided not to extend Jackson. A pretty sorry end to the greatest player story in football.

a real homer... we are a cheap team.. hes over 30 and still UNDER CONTRACT next yr.. we have more pressing needs.. this was very smart.. he will probbly hold out and either come back and play angry which is when hes at his best or we trade him and get a 2nd or a 3rd.. i'd be fine with any of those scenarios.. we throw the ball alot and from make take and the press conferences, by reading between lines, they will bring in a vet legit WR and will end up signing Stevie.. worst case we franchise stevie so its big money for 1 yr but will get us a real chance 2 see if his character issues that give 15 yards after every score.. id rather him being taken down and the 1 and run it in!

As much as i love freddy and the story behind it.. im a business owner that has insanely high expenses... obviously not like a football team but i have min. 1.2 mil in expenses in a yr and if i had an employee and i had to cut costs, id keep the young guy with talent and teach him.. CJ got better and better as yr went along and showed in my opinion alot of class which is rare in league.. never whined about being under utilized.. he worked hard all yr with no real off season did whatever coach asked.. he played lots of WR , had a ton of games where he didnt get any chances.. We used a 1st rounder on him and he is more elctric than freddy, the easiest position to replace with mid round picks is RB.. and bring in aging vet like a what lets did with with lt, or mcgahee did with denver.. wont be hard to find a complement to spllier cuz u need just a basic convertional RB.. spiller could be like a sproles type but with more rushing and less receving and i think next yr he is one of breakout players in NFL... i watched almost all his college games, the kid is insane talented and i think he really learned alot as freddys understudy.. we were very stupid at start of yr and ONLY used freddy when they had a guy that was capable of sharing load.. even the best RB's get spelled a play here and there and at least a full series in each half.. there were a fair share of games with freddy get 22 ish carries, 5 cathces with spiller getting his token bubble screen for 5-10 yards his token slant over middle for 7-10 and MAYBE 4-5 carries when they were games he had only like 1 or 2.. thats just bad coaching.. they were alot smarter at end of yr with we had choice who i would also have no problem resigning , he suits a #2 back perfect.. better between the tackles and can catch a few passes out of backfield.. our team was so beat up by that point s it didnt matter but not resigning freddy will not affect cuz fact of matter is he IS under contract and even if he held out, hes an agry dude, he will stay in tip top shape and report b4 he loses game checks.. play hard ball with him, we need to be thrifty to use money and hopefully 2 very good free agents and 2 solid guys who r either starters or 1st guy behind starters like a nickel back..

I don't see what the big deal is in extending him right now. He's got another year left, he just came off (an admittedly not too serious) season ending injury... let him come into training camp as the starter/sharing reps with CJ and go from there. If he plays lights out again, extend him, simple.

Just to be clear, I don't think, currently, we should get rid of FJ. He has another year with us, let that play out and go from there. I like FJ, he's been awesome for us. But from a financial POV, I can see the reasoning in playing the waiting game.

Edited by Dorkington

Second most yards from line of scrimmage in the NFL when he got hurt. But he's old! Dump him! CJ got 500 yards! Premier back!

ur smart... cj averaged as much per carry and had as many scores as jackson and spiller didnt have the luxury of a healthy OL.. team fell apart when OL got hurt cuz OL is what gave fitzy time and creatd big holes for freddy.. spiller had no center and a rotation and injured LT's , the 2 most important positions on line.. he had less carries thatswhy he had only 500 yards.. he has the burst to close those big runs for td;s.. and had some key drops in endzone or close to it.. he will only be better next yr

some of you guys just dont get it

the bills wont release jackson because they want to. they will release him because freddie will make a stink, demand to be traded, nobody in the nfl will give the bills squat for a 31yo rb, and the bills will reluctantly release him to avoid the distraction and to let him get on with another team

this will be EGG-ZAK-LEE the same situation as thomas jones. he was still under contract when he had a big season with the jets. he freaked out when they wouldnt extend him for mo money. the jets cut him. he goes to kc for the same dollars the jets offered. he was never the same

EGG. ZAK. LEE.

i get no joy in reporting this. well except the joy of being right in the face of all you doubters. a-gain. but this is gonna happen

the bills wont release jackson because they want to. they will release him because freddie will make a stink, demand to be traded, nobody in the nfl will give the bills squat for a 31yo rb, and the bills will reluctantly release him to avoid the distraction and to let him get on with another team

this will be EGG-ZAK-LEE the same situation as thomas jones. he was still under contract when he had a big season with the jets. he freaked out when they wouldnt extend him for mo money. the jets cut him. he goes to kc for the same dollars the jets offered. he was never the same

EGG. ZAK. LEE.

i get no joy in reporting this. well except the joy of being right in the face of all you doubters. a-gain. but this is gonna happen

It definitely might happen... but I don't see what's wrong in letting it play out. There's no logical reason to extend him this very second, and there's no logical reason to release him, either. He's a great player, he helps our team, and we have him under contract.

or we trade him and get a 2nd or a 3rd..

haha aint a team nowhere nohow gonna give you a second/third for a 31yo back

bills would be lucky LUCKY to get a seventh rounder for him. thats just reality. and its why hes gonna get released, cuz he will refuse to play here without a new deal, the bills wont want the distraction, and will essentially do him and themselves a favor by just letting him walk and choose his next team

I don't see what's wrong in letting it play out. There's no logical reason to extend him this very second, and there's no logical reason to release him, either.

uh yeah there is

this isnt madden. the other players on the team have emotions that affect their play and preparation. jackson is/was a leader on this team. if hes pissed and holding out the entire organization is in limbo. players will lose some of their attention, perhaps get irritated at the club themselves, divisions will be created in the lockerroom

you either try to get a modest extension done or you release him just to avoid all that and move on. and one of those two things is definitely going to happen, with most likely it being the latter

Oh, we get it, but having watched Freddy and his professional demeanor over the past few years, we all know that your "he'll be released because he will make a stink"is the least likely scenario.

Say Spiller is to us what Sproles is to NO. You still need a Pierre Thomas and you're not going to get one as good as FJ for less than $4+ mil/yr unless you roll the dice & hope you hit the jackpot on a late round pick.

I don't think anyone's suggesting throwing a $30 million deal at him. But a 3 year deal at $4 mil/ year is a win for everyone. Bills have a solid vet & fan favorite with all the intangibles at below market rate for a player with his talent. To do otherwise is penny wise & pound foolish IMO.

haha aint a team nowhere nohow gonna give you a second/third for a 31yo back

bills would be lucky LUCKY to get a seventh rounder for him. thats just reality. and its why hes gonna get released, cuz he will refuse to play here without a new deal, the bills wont want the distraction, and will essentially do him and themselves a favor by just letting him walk and choose his next team

uh yeah there is

this isnt madden. the other players on the team have emotions that affect their play and preparation. jackson is/was a leader on this team. if hes pissed and holding out the entire organization is in limbo. players will lose some of their attention, perhaps get irritated at the club themselves, divisions will be created in the lockerroom

you either try to get a modest extension done or you release him just to avoid all that and move on. and one of those two things is definitely going to happen, with most likely it being the latter

He's not making a huge stink *right now*, so there's no reason to act *right now*.

If he becomes a distraction during training camp, then go from there. But the urgency being thrown around here is a little ridiculous. We have him under contract, tell him you are interested in extending him as long as his performance holds up, and if he throws a tantrum and becomes poisonous to the team, release him. If he keeps it relatively in check and plays well, consider contract options.

I don't see why there isn't any room for flexibility in this discussion. It seems people are either OMG WE HAVE TO EXTEND HIM NOOOOOOWWWW or OMG HE IS SO OLD, WE HAVE TO CUT CUT CUT!!!

Say Spiller is to us what Sproles is to NO. You still need a Pierre Thomas and you're not going to get one as good as FJ for less than $4+ mil/yr unless you roll the dice & hope you hit the jackpot on a late round pick.

I don't think anyone's suggesting throwing a $30 million deal at him. But a 3 year deal at $4 mil/ year is a win for everyone. Bills have a solid vet & fan favorite with all the intangibles at below market rate for a player with his talent. To do otherwise is penny wise & pound foolish IMO.

What if he's asking for more than that?

well duh of course it doesnt become an issue until official functions open, how could it

but mark my words, the minute freddie hears theres no extension planned hes gonna start sqawking. and the minute the otas begin it will be the center of the bills universe. they will go on for a while and try to work something out, but if freddie holds firm on a big raise then it wont take long before it starts to overwhelm everything the team does

and THATS when they will need to do something RIGHT NOW

EGG. ZAK. LEE.

He won't be released. He can't make a stink all he wants, but it won't get him released.

Oh, we get it, but having watched Freddy and his professional demeanor over the past few years, we all know that your "he'll be released because he will make a stink"is the least likely scenario.

i hope youre right

but consider this: this is his last chance at a payday. its all or nothing now. it would be extremely easy for him to figure well i might as well make the biggest stink of my career now cuz im gonna be playing somewhere next season and not possibly for less than the two mil i make now so i might as well swing for the fences

which is exactly what i think is gonna happen. hope not, but you can see it coming

Edited by Meathead

He's not making a huge stink *right now*, so there's no reason to act *right now*.

If he becomes a distraction during training camp, then go from there. But the urgency being thrown around here is a little ridiculous. We have him under contract, tell him you are interested in extending him as long as his performance holds up, and if he throws a tantrum and becomes poisonous to the team, release him. If he keeps it relatively in check and plays well, consider contract options.

I don't see why there isn't any room for flexibility in this discussion. It seems people are either OMG WE HAVE TO EXTEND HIM NOOOOOOWWWW or OMG HE IS SO OLD, WE HAVE TO CUT CUT CUT!!!

What if he's asking for more than that?

Then I might think differently, but given the circumstances I think he'd jump at that.

i hope youre right

but consider this: this is his last chance at a payday. its all or nothing now. it would be extremely easy for him to figure well i might as well make the biggest stink of my career now cuz im gonna be playing somewhere next season and not possibly for less than the two mil i make now so i might as well swing for the fences

which is exactly what i think is gonna happen. hope not, but you can see it coming

I don't think that would happen. Really, other than some signs of the lights turning on late last year.CJ is far from a sure bet. Didn't Nix call him a waterbug pre-draft? Can he be an every down back? TBD. Fred, never did make any big bucks in the NFL I just don't see him making a stink. It certainly wouldn't fit his MO. Now playing pissed off is a real possibility. At some point you have to take Nix at his word. Should he back off, then that. Well he better have a upgrade in mind. Its not Tashard Choice either. I have a feeling Fred knows what he wants, I also don't think he's out to break the Bills piggy bank. The Bills will be in a far worse place if Fred is gone, SJ13 is gone, etc. This team needs all the NFL quality players they can get. Since they have so few at the moment. I look forward to Freddie kicking butt in 2012, making the pro bowl, or better, and finally get some league recognition. Can anyone actually say this old man named Fred showed signs of decline? If anything he was having by far his best year in football at any level.