Franchise F.JACKSON trade for D.E and draft LAMICHAEL JAMES

Everyone wants to sign jackson longterm. I dissagree JAMES and SPILLER EQUAL ALOT OF SPEED that opens our passing game up by far

Umm, no. Why would you get rid of a top notch RB, in favor of a mediocre one? Not to mention wasting a high draft pick on one of the few positions we are set at.

Most importantly this just simply isn't going to happen. Jackson is signed through this upcoming season. Either they reach an extension or they don't.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone wants to sign jackson longterm. I dissagree JAMES and SPILLER EQUAL ALOT OF SPEED that opens our passing game up by far

why franchise freddy when hes under contract for next yr? hes NOT a FA

Wow!? just when I thought the Keith Ellison thread was bad. We don't need 2 waterbugs, Fred is one of the best backs in the league and I certainly wouldn't draft James, I'd rather draft Doug Martin from Boise.

And what DE would you trade him for?

for once i agree with u... maybe he thinking the giants with trade on tuck JPP and osi for freddy... and while we are dreaming, why not get their 1st round pick while we are at it!

I DISAGREE YOU DON'T TRADE NOT JUST YOUR BEST PLAYER BUT PROBABLY THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE !! SIGN HIM SHORT TERM IF NOTHING ELSE , 2 YEARS INSTEAD OF 4 !!!

Don't know if this is a troll or not but it really doesn't matter. The question about trading FJ, although unspeakable to some, is a very real question. FJ is/will be 31. How long is he going to continue to be productive given his age? Spiller when thrust into a starting role after Fred's injury performed as a pure running back almost identically. They are different types of RBs but their yards per carry are almost the same. Fred had more yards per reception but Spiller scores more TDs per touch. Fred was productive earlier in the season when at least some of our crappy WRs were healthy and Eric Wood was still playing. Spiller put up his numbers when our WR core was decimated and didn't have our best offensive lineman Eric Wood to run behind after he went down as well.

For the rational people out there 1 of 2 things MUST be true. Either our system allows any RB to produce at a high level which means FJ isn't that important OR Spiller is ready and is becoming Jackson's equal and is 8 years younger. I tend to think it is the latter as Tashard Choice and the other guy we had this year didn't even come close to doing what Jackson and Spiller did.

That being said FJ has shown that he is a more complete RB as far blitz pickup and those things go so I'm not saying Spiller is better than him yet but he sure as hell has more speed, just completed his second year in the league and still has a huge upside.

Am I saying get rid of Fred Jackson? NO! But you have to consider that football is a business. Jackson has the love of his teammates and the fans but from a purely performance based view and looking at the team as a whole it might be better for us to trade Fred. Many here think that FJ was an MVP candidate. That's fine. If we could move a potential MVP candidate RB for more/better picks than we got for Lynch, give CJ the start and get another guy to put along with him somewhere along the way wouldn't the TEAM be better off????

That is a very real although unlikely consideration. In my opinion you don't franchise a 31 year old RB, pay him the average of the top 5 RBs in the league when you already have his capable and much younger replacement on the roster. I would like to see FJ signed to a reasonable 2 or 3 year contract and then Gailey MUST MUST MUST get them EACH at least 15 - 20 touches a game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Mead! Anything going on in this thread? I sawthw subject about trading our best offensive weapon and gave up. I guess no one remembers Marshall Faulk.

Just want to show that we have not forgotten about Fred.