Falcons Hire Nolan as DC

^ This is what really matters...

:thumbsup:

Thats what I would like to here too.

Even though its obvious that the Bills have no 3-4 OLBs and no 4-3 DEs. Which is kinda the biggest decision point for your "base D"

The Bills can easily switch to whatever scheme you want.

It's not like the Bills defense has any established players at LB or 4-3 DE that are key pieces either scheme. You can turn over the whole LB squad with the exception of Barnett and you'd be hard pressed to do worse than the crew that currently pretends to play LB for the Bills today.

Edited by Why So Serious?

All defenses are hybrid. Sports Illustrated had a good articles about the bears 4/3 Cover Two defense the week prior to their last appearance in the super bowl. According to the article, the bears were only in the 4/3 47% of the time. It was their base defense, but they adjusted based on down, distance, score, etc. I don't think the bills are too concerned with labeling their defense on thing or the other. I do hope however, that their defense improves next year. I could care less with their defense is called.

All defenses are hybrid. Sports Illustrated had a good articles about the bears 4/3 Cover Two defense the week prior to their last appearance in the super bowl. According to the article, the bears were only in the 4/3 47% of the time. It was their base defense, but they adjusted based on down, distance, score, etc. I don't think the bills are too concerned with labeling their defense on thing or the other. I do hope however, that their defense improves next year. I could care less with their defense is called.

True about the % of plays in a specific set, but most of the rest of that time was likely nickle, goal line, short yardage, prevent, dime, punt/fg D, ect....Not 3-4. All teams will have this stuff. The Bears are very clearly a base 4-3. I would say they are far from being considered a "hybrid" defense

I think as Why So Serious pointed out, the Bill's roster has holes that could be filled and tweaked for whatever scheme Wanny thinks we should run. But eventually they will probably pick and stick to a scheme. Clearly OUR hybrid defense did not work...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

True about the % of plays in a specific set, but most of the rest of that time was likely Nickle, Goal line, short yardage, prevent, punt/fg D, ect....Not 3-4. All teams will have this stuff. The Bears are very clearly a base 4-3. I would say they are far from being considered a "hybrid" defense

I think as Why So Serious pointed out, the Bill's roster has holes that could be filled and tweaked for whatever scheme Wanny thinks we should run. But eventually they will probably pick and stick to a scheme. Clearly OUR hybrid defense did not work...

I wish they would. I think it would be easier for our young players s transition to the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82620647/article/new-coordinator-nolan-thinks-falcons-can-soar-with-43-defense

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Mike Nolan has no plans to switch the Atlanta Falcons to a 3-4 scheme in his first year as defensive coordinator.

During job discussions earlier this week with coach Mike Smith, Nolan agreed that the Falcons were better suited to stay with a 4-3, which deploys four linemen and three linebackers, instead of switching to his preferred 3-4.

I saw this too, but in the AJC righ tafter he was hired Mike Smith was qouted saying they wil run both fronts.

They may have backe doff that a little, but i gaurantee you will see a lot of different fronts from ATL next year....and hopefully the Bills too

The fans are only ones teeth gnashing over the "base" defense. As was stated above, at least half of your defensive snaps contain 5/6 DBs, so the concept of a "base" defense goes out the window. Good players can play in any scheme. Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus can play and would excel in a 4-3 or a 3-4. Nick Barnett coudl play MLB in either. Get good players, and then you can fit them to whatever the situation deems necessary.

You don't need to have a player at position X be at size Y to successfully run a defense.